Home

Throwing the ball downfield.

This is a discussion on Throwing the ball downfield. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Throwing the ball downfield.

There have been many instances where my receiver(s) have had a few steps on the defender. I've noticed it and tried to get them the ball. Despite my best attempts at holding the left analog stick up and trying to lead the receiver, the ball is thrown short every single time no matter what, often resulting in an interception because my receiver continues upfield and does not react.

This is understandable once or twice, but to never get the ball to him is a little ridiculous. Heck, I'd be happy with throwing it 15 yards in front of him for an incomplete pass.

Hopefully I'm just not doing something right. Is there any way to get the ball out in front of your receivers and hit them in stride when they've got a step on a defender?

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Rookie

Old Mr T's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Throwing the ball downfield.

I'm getting Madden on PS4 soon so I'd be interested to know if anyone else has this issue or has a solution/fix?
Old 11-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

This would happen to me in previous gen too and the majority of the time I was simply throwing too late.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

I believe EA/Tiburon wants people to "user" catch on those big bomb plays. I also find that doing the basic "tap" for a lob pass helps as opposed to flicking/pushing up on the left analog stick.

I would suggest going into practice mode and getting the timing down...Timing really does play a role in those long pass plays to streak and fade routes.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Rookie

Are you stepping up into the pocket to throw or are you doing like everybody does in CG where they drop back 20 yards and scramble like a chicken with their head cut off before launching a perfect bomb?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

I agree, it's pretty bad.

Pushing up doesn't seem to lead the ball more. I've found more success with aiming the throw to the sideline. When I do that, it both leads the receiver more and puts it near the sideline. Often times it goes over the defender for a completion. The times it doesn't, the defender usually can't make a play on it at all. It's just caught by the receiver just out of bounds.

Passing needs a major overhaul from this tired tethering.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
EA Sports' Equipment Guru

KANE699's Arena

OVR: 35

Don't throw off your back foot, step up in the pocket and press up and lightly tap the button really quick, you should see the desired result pretty consistently with a good QB.

Follow me on twitter @Equipment_Guru
Old 11-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
Don't throw off your back foot, step up in the pocket and press up and lightly tap the button really quick, you should see the desired result pretty consistently with a good QB.
This is what I was getting at in my post. I realized this fairly quickly that you can't throw off your back foot in this game and expect good results. Not just on the deep ball. I had a few passes out to curl routes where the throw floated due to my QB not being in position to make a good throw which gave the DB plenty of time to make a play on the ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »