Home

Arthritis

This is a discussion on Arthritis within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
Train Nsane or remainsame

Feared's Arena

OVR: 18
Arthritis

Was just wondering if anyone on here has had any experiences with Arthritis; and how they, or a close one got over it, dealt with it?

I've had a really nagging knee problem that started about 3 months ago. It honestly just popped out of no where. I noticed it at work where I'd have some knee pain when walking up the stairs right next to my Left knee cap on the inside, then one day I noticed I was limping and wanted to sit down.

I've went to 2 doctors since then, the first one pretty much just said I'm fine, just over use and I'd be good to go after a day or two of rest. Well I went back to work, and the knee pain was still there. It's gotten to the point where I am out of work right now, on temporary leave. The second doctor I spoke with said there's a strong possibility I have Arthritis developing in my knee.

This was really a pretty big shock to me, as I am only 24 and never really had any major knee issues before. I honestly thought I had torn my MCL, or meniscus but the second doctor ruled that out by laying me down on a table and doing some movement, motion tests on my left leg.

Just kind of been sitting at home for the past 2 weeks wondering where do I go from here? My pain goes away when I don't put any pressure on the knee but when I start standing on it, for any more than a half an hour that pain comes back. It feels like something is pushing down on my knee also there is a crunching, grinding sensation within that joint when I walk (not always but usually when I walk after I've been sitting down for a while). I've been doing some mobility, range of motion exercises for my hamstrings, and quads, some light cycling. I start Physical therapy tomorrow but I'm not sure if it will help any.

Just kind of wondering How I developed this condition so early in life, and if there's any way to get over this and return to some level of moderate activity. I had my whole life planned ahead of me, was planning to get my own car, go to school within this upcoming year and this was not part of my plans.

Last edited by Feared; 10-31-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Arthritis

I'm in a semi similar situation as you. The cartilage in my right knee is slowly deteriorating and trust me it can be painful. Your going to want to get a knee brace. It really helps stabilize the knee for physical activity. Ice is also your best friend to keep any swelling/pain down. Physical Therapy will be a big help if done enough. You really gotta stick to it.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

I have some arthritis in my hands and fingers. It never bothered me until I took a warehouse job over the summer and had to move a lot of heavy boxes by hand and with a dolly frequently. I would notice in the morning that it took 20-30 minutes for me to be able to get full range of motion and strength in my fingers. I started taking glucosamine for it and it helped a bit with the stiffness and some pain relief.

Watch me play video games
Old 11-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
Train Nsane or remainsame

Feared's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24
I'm in a semi similar situation as you. The cartilage in my right knee is slowly deteriorating and trust me it can be painful. Your going to want to get a knee brace. It really helps stabilize the knee for physical activity. Ice is also your best friend to keep any swelling/pain down. Physical Therapy will be a big help if done enough. You really gotta stick to it.
I'm looking into some knee braces, that are light, not bulky, and not too restrictive. I've had an Ace Bandage on it at work, and I found that doesn't help too much, as it restricts motion and when I loosen it up it slides off. Probably going to need a custom brace that shifts weight bearing towards the healthier side of my knee.

I think having arthritis in the Knee is the worst joint to have it in, as if effects almost all of your activity as those are your major weight bearing joints. I was icing me knee for nearly a week (when I triggered the worst of my pain 3 months back) but the thing with arthritis is you can't see the swelling because it's all joint tissue within the joint that's swelling.

Man I wish there was a viable option for partial cartilage replacement.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

Have you actually gotten a MRI? I know you said a doctor did some basic stability tests and ruled out any major tears, but doctors have been wrong before.

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
JB4MVP

JODYE's Arena

OVR: 8

I broke my ankle in baseball about 10 years ago, and developed arthritis in it over time.

When I wake up in the morning I can't even walk on it. I have to basically warm it up before I get out of bed. One of the first times it happened I literally fell down because I wasn't expecting it and it hurt so damn bad.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

All these story's are scary....after my micro fracture, the doctor pretty much guaranteed I would have arthritis in my future....

Not yet. Not looking forward to it....hope things get better for you man...
Old 11-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I'd check out Synvisc-one as that is what my doctor is recommending I get for my knee which has some similar issues.

it's a gel they inject into your knee and restores lubrication for six months and for a lot of people it does away with the pain completely.

http://www.synviscone.com
Streaming PC & PS5 games, join me most nights after 6:00pm ET at WWW. KICK.COM/ODOGG

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »