Home

2K Deserves Props For Their Next-Gen Marketing

This is a discussion on 2K Deserves Props For Their Next-Gen Marketing within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
2K Deserves Props For Their Next-Gen Marketing

Now it has been revealed that 2K will release new information at least once a day until release (sometimes two times). Ronnie2K actually has handled this marketing transition to Next-Gen beautifully in my opinion.

They deserve credit, because traditionally I think they actually under-market their own games if that makes sense.

If anything, this marketing, their amazing attention to detail has me clamoring for that NFL license in March. Take note EA/NFL.

How do you guys feel about their approach to Next-Gen marketing?
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (43.1 KB, 521 views)

Last edited by RateSports; 10-31-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: 2K Deserves Props For Their Next-Gen Marketing

I like it! I know some people are expecting everything at once, but that's not how it works. Now that we'll actually be getting news every day now, I think the amount of complaints will go down.

Of course we'll still have those gameplay or die people, but I'm loving this approach. News everyday will get me more hyped and anticipating than I already am.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Rookie

TerminallyOdd's Arena

OVR: 1

They deserve credit because they're releasing a next gen version of a game 6 weeks after a current gen version, and have clearly put some effort into distinguishing it from that version. If you look at other companies (such as EA), you'll see that they're cashing in by just re-releasing a higher-def version of what is essentially the same game. So yeah, props to 2K for that.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RateSports
Now it has been revealed that 2K will release new information at least once a day until release (sometimes two times). Ronnie2K actually has handled this marketing transition to Next-Gen beautifully in my opinion.

They deserve credit, because traditionally I think they actually under-market their own games if that makes sense.

If anything, this marketing, their amazing attention to detail has me clamoring for that NFL license in March. Take note EA/NFL.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Rookie

mrbigshot's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
I like it! I know some people are expecting everything at once, but that's not how it works. Now that we'll actually be getting news every day now, I think the amount of complaints will go down.

Of course we'll still have those gameplay or die people, but I'm loving this approach. News everyday will get me more hyped and anticipating than I already am.
I'm curious as to see what they have in store for MYGM and the accommodating features coinciding with that particular game mode. for an association guy, it's very uplifting to hear that association was totally re-tooled. but how much of an
enhancement has it undergone, is the real question? is there a GM mode AS WELL as an owners box? because to me, mygm seems reminiscent of nab 2k5, which i'm fine with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnCUyVfV9OQ
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

As a consumer, I'm personally not a fan of their marketing this year. Perhaps for fans of marketing (or those who specialize in it), maybe they're doing the right thing. But for 2K basketball video game fans, I still feel as though we know very little about the upcoming next generation offering.

I personally prefer knowing as much about an upcoming game as possible, and well in advance of its release. 2K's actually been pretty thorough in that regard in years past with their developer insight write-ups (though they've floundered a bit in recent years with brief video interviews taking the place of the detailed insights).

This year, in particular with the next generation release, I feel as though we know only the broadest facts about 2K14 to this point. There's a few modes, mostly all now starting with "My", and the graphics look superb up close. Beyond that, there's been a lot of generalizations and even more questions.

There really was a time when 2K was much more transparent and forthcoming with information (for better or for worse). In this case, it now feels more similar to a classic big company marketing scheme: hype the bejesus out of something, blow up the positives of your game, hold out on the details until the last second, and avoid the difficult questions unless you have an answer for them that will make everyone happy.

Last edited by VDusen04; 10-31-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Who cares about their marketing if their ratings and tendencies are still going to be all messed up? Are they marketing that? Didn't think they were...
Old 10-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
MVP

tsbmolina's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RateSports

Totally agree. I haven't been this hyped about a game since NFL 2K which was released on the Dreamcast.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »