Home

Hockey novice

This is a discussion on Hockey novice within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
Pro

MakePlaysOrDie's Arena

OVR: 10
Hockey novice

I'm relatively new to hockey. I live in the Chicago area so by default I've been getting into the Black Hawks the past few years, which then turned me onto the rest of the NHL. I've played NHL 11 before but that's it, and I was wondering if NHL 14 would be a good purchase? I want a fun hockey game but I'm not sure if I want to get it for PS3 or just wait for PS4. Any response/advice would be helpful, thank you!

PS4- xXB-TomahawkChop
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Hockey novice

Honestly, I'd wait. While I love the series, upgrades are pretty small each year. There won't be, however, a next gen version until NHL 15.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15

Even with it's flaws, it's still the best in the series since 10. I think I am enjoying it more than 10 right now. Since you're a hockey novice you might not notice a lot of the problems, and that helps quite a bit. I think a lot of negative reviews are from people being burnt out on NHL's version of hockey. The game isn't a full on sim, but it is fun. It's worth at least a rental or wait around for a sale if you don't wanna pay full price.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Just started!

OVR: 0

I was very similar to you - pretty new to hockey, at least to playing it. However, I havent played a hockey game since the Sega Genesis. I asked a similar question on the forums, and got responses which pretty much consisted of you wont regret it. Very true. I got it about a month ago, and I've been addicted ever since. I play at least a game a day, and on the weekends when the kids go to sleep, I play at least 5-6 games. It's an absolute blast to play. The tutorial gives you the down and dirty, but its once of those things that gives you enough to survive (somewhat) and its on you to put it all together. I mainly play EASHL (the hockey league online with your created player) and Ultimate Team - both of which, to me, are phenomenal. This game has cemented my interest in playing hockey (at least in the video game stand point). I dont believe this years game (NHL 14) will be coming to PS4/XO until the year 14 edition though.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #5
Pro

MakePlaysOrDie's Arena

OVR: 10

Thanks for the responses guys they actually helped a lot. I rented the game this afternoon and love it! I'll be purchasing it tomorrow afternoon. I do wish it was coming to PS4 though.

PS4- xXB-TomahawkChop
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #6
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus
Even with it's flaws, it's still the best in the series since 10. I think I am enjoying it more than 10 right now. Since you're a hockey novice you might not notice a lot of the problems, and that helps quite a bit. I think a lot of negative reviews are from people being burnt out on NHL's version of hockey. The game isn't a full on sim, but it is fun. It's worth at least a rental or wait around for a sale if you don't wanna pay full price.
You hit it right on the head. Someone new to the series or new to hockey will not see the flaws due to lack of time with the game. If you've spent a lot of time with the series like myself, the flaws are pretty easily seen after the course of however many years. Overall this can be a very fun game, but it just depends what you are looking for in a hockey game and whether or not the issues are ones you can deal with. I give props to the people who know the issues but still have fun with the game.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 10-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
MVP

seb170455's Arena

OVR: 17

I purchased all NHL games the last years. I like this one a lot. I always play Be A GM and sometimes Live the life. I play all of my games in BeAGM. I enjoy it very much.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
Rookie

REDSFAN26's Arena

OVR: 0

To the OP...I was in a similar position as you were a few years ago...been slowly getting into hockey, watched around a game a week...

Now NHL 14 is probably my main game I pop in alongside Fifa 14 and Forza...

I thin presentation wise it looks fantastic and it's just go go so passes the time very quickly

Land of Oz

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »