Home

Fantasy Draft, few questions.

This is a discussion on Fantasy Draft, few questions. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Pro

x_NBA_x's Arena

OVR: 2
Fantasy Draft, few questions.

Just a quick few questions regarding the fantasy draft in Madden 25.

1. Is it enjoyable and has a long CCM life? As I get bored quickly.

2. Are there any salary cap issues come the second season or further?

3. Can you adjust which position in the draft you are or is it random?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Fantasy Draft, few questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_NBA_x

1. All up to you. Fantasy drafts against the CPU aren't very enjoyable b/c they draft terrible teams. Some teams won't have a single player rated above 85 or so which doesn't make sense considering everyone has a 1st round pick. You are also smarter than them and can draft nothing but really talented, but lower rated, rookies and young players in late rounds. It's just unfair against the CPU but is quite a bit of fun when other users are in the league

2. I'm pretty sure the players are awarded contracts based on where they are drafted and do not have their real life contracts carry over to your league. Early picks get 5 year deals worth more money, and later picks get 1 yr minimum deals

3. It's random but you can adjust it by backing out and starting the draft over until you like your draft position. It's better to draft around pick 15 so you don't get extended waiting periods from one round to the next (Pick 2 in one round and then pick 31 in the next, 60+ draft picks between your 2 selections)

2014 Cleveland Browns 13-3
2015 Cleveland Browns 6-1
GT: MouthyRat
Old 10-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Rookie

Herbn's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_NBA_x

1. Absolutely. I feel a little more attached to my team since I drafted/built it from scratch. In fact, my fantasy CFM has prevented me from buying GTAV because I'm hooked on my team.
2. I have not run into salary cap issues (just started my third year, and I have had no issues re-signing the players I want every year). AFAIK I believe it gives bigger/longer contracts depending on which round they were selected.
3. I believe it's random. I restarted mine 4 times until I was in a position/a QB I wanted was available with my first pick (I took Andrew Luck).

Some tips...
1. Pause the draft right when you start so you have all the time in the world to carefully make your picks.
2. Take a really good, young QB first.
3. IMO CB/LT/DT are recommended after your QB (not in any particular order). Build the team as if you were a real GM, going after the most important positions first.
4. Look at their development before drafting. Superstar/Quick development ratings are obviously your prime targets here, and you want to avoid slow development players if possible.
5. You can wait to get a good RB. I got David Wilson really late (much better in game than real life), and Eddie Lacy (awesome in game even if his OVR doesn't reflect it early on) even later.
6. The same goes for wide receivers. Although, I did take Julio Jones in my top 5, and he's been pretty much unstoppable. However, I got Justin Blackmon and Cecil Shorts much later on, and Blackmon is being groomed to take over for Jones once his contract is up (I'm anticipating him asking for a lot of money, so I plan on trading him in the last year).
7. Draft young players. If you see two players with similar ratings but one is 24 while the other is 28/29, always go younger.
8. Don't always go by the projected draft positions for players. It's pretty accurate early on, but then it goes all out of whack as the draft progresses.
9. Keep track of trends. If teams suddenly start to go on a run for tight ends, then you should be doing the same. Sometimes you have to anticipate a trend if you really want a specific player at a particular position.
10. Speed, strength and acceleration are probably the most important ratings you should be looking at (they're much more expensive to develop).
11. Don't be afraid to restart your draft if you don't have a team you really like. Like I said before, I restarted mine 4 times until I had a team I liked (my team is pretty ridiculous... 2 Super Bowl wins, and I'm in a position to win a third with my team even more stacked after two great drafts).
Old 10-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Rookie

Herbn's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscob
1. All up to you. Fantasy drafts against the CPU aren't very enjoyable b/c they draft terrible teams. Some teams won't have a single player rated above 85 or so which doesn't make sense considering everyone has a 1st round pick. You are also smarter than them and can draft nothing but really talented, but lower rated, rookies and young players in late rounds. It's just unfair against the CPU but is quite a bit of fun when other users are in the league
That's weird. I did mine offline and only against the CPU, and there are some stacked teams in my league; quite a few of them to be honest. Most are really well balanced, and there are a few elite teams that match up to the level of talent on my own team. I don't even think that there's a truly bad team in my league.

Oddly enough, some of the best teams in my league are all in my division, and it certainly keeps it interesting with division races/playing them twice a year. For instance: the Eagles (I'm the Giants) offense has Newton/J Charles/Dez Bryant/AJ Green. They're a nightmare to cover when I'm playing defense, and they have a solid O-line/top 10 defense too.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
MVP

friscob's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbn
That's weird. I did mine offline and only against the CPU, and there are some stacked teams in my league; quite a few of them to be honest. Most are really well balanced, and there are a few elite teams that match up to the level of talent on my own team. I don't even think that there's a truly bad team in my league.

Oddly enough, some of the best teams in my league are all in my division, and it certainly keeps it interesting with division races/playing them twice a year. For instance: the Eagles (I'm the Giants) offense has Newton/J Charles/Dez Bryant/AJ Green. They're a nightmare to cover when I'm playing defense, and they have a solid O-line/top 10 defense too.
I've come across some really good teams and some really bad ones too. 1 single team drafting Newton, Charles, Dez, and AJ explains why there's some bad ones out there lol.

I just think it's a little crazy that I was able to draft so many quality young players that the CPU overlooks. Mostly all rookies who are really high round picks

QB - Tyler Bray , Thad Lewis
HB - Gio Bernard, Le'Veon Bell, Jon Dwyer, Montaa Ball
FB - M. Robinson
WR - Jordy Nelson, J. Blackmon, Edelman, J. Boykin, Swope
TE - J. Cameron, Travis Kelce, Cumberland
LT - Eric Fisher
LG - J Cooper
C- ?
RG - Warmack
RT - ?

LE- Tyson Jackson
RE - Cameron Heyward
DT - Dontari Poe
LOLB- Orakpo, Jarvis Jones
MLB - Kuechley, Alonso, Jelani Jenkins (great value)
ROLB - Ogletree, Sergio Kindle
CB- Sherman, Talib, Scandrick, Amerson, CJ Wilson
FS - Eric Reid, Mathieu
SS - Vaccaro, Tony Jefferson

Basically an entire roster of rookies and sophomores that are really talented. Guys who should have been drafted much earlier than they were. I will agree that it's still decently enjoyable w/ a good slider set.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
Rookie

Herbn's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscob
I've come across some really good teams and some really bad ones too. 1 single team drafting Newton, Charles, Dez, and AJ explains why there's some bad ones out there lol.

I just think it's a little crazy that I was able to draft so many quality young players that the CPU overlooks. Mostly all rookies who are really high round picks

QB - Tyler Bray , Thad Lewis
HB - Gio Bernard, Le'Veon Bell, Jon Dwyer, Montaa Ball
FB - M. Robinson
WR - Jordy Nelson, J. Blackmon, Edelman, J. Boykin, Swope
TE - J. Cameron, Travis Kelce, Cumberland
LT - Eric Fisher
LG - J Cooper
C- ?
RG - Warmack
RT - ?

LE- Tyson Jackson
RE - Cameron Heyward
DT - Dontari Poe
LOLB- Orakpo, Jarvis Jones
MLB - Kuechley, Alonso, Jelani Jenkins (great value)
ROLB - Ogletree, Sergio Kindle
CB- Sherman, Talib, Scandrick, Amerson, CJ Wilson
FS - Eric Reid, Mathieu
SS - Vaccaro, Tony Jefferson

Basically an entire roster of rookies and sophomores that are really talented. Guys who should have been drafted much earlier than they were. I will agree that it's still decently enjoyable w/ a good slider set.
They're one of the superteams, and I hate having to play them every year. I always lose the road game I play against the Eagles. But, for the most part, most teams are pretty balanced, and the bad teams aren't all that bad in my CFM.

A couple of similar players on our teams. This was my team after the draft (missing a few names):

QB: Luck, Clausen
RB David Wilson, Eddie Lacy
WR: Julio, Cecil, Blackmon, Terrance Williams
TE: Fleener, Ertz
LT M. Khalil, Sam Baker
LG A. Levitre
C Stefen Wiz, Brian Schwenke
RG Asomoah, Earl Watford
RT Loadholt, Demar Dotson, Culbreath

MLB: Kuechly, Jon Bostic
RLB: Wesley Woodward, Bjoern, Zaviar Gooden, Sio Moore
LE Kroy Bierman, Justin Francis
RE: Bruce Irvin, Robert Quinn
DT: Suh, Poe, Ian Williams, Kawaan Short
CB: Patrick Peterson, Derek Cox, Josh Robinson, Brandon McGee, Poyer
FS Eric Reid, Swearinger
SS Cyprien, Rashad Johnson

Kuechly and Poe getting slow development was mind boggling for me. How in the world does that happen? And how has Poe worked out for you? I traded him for a first/third round pick since I couldn't pass up on that value (I also just traded for Shariff Floyd to take over for Poe, who is rated 90+). Poe was underperforming, but I guess playing alongside Suh (who is an unblockable freak of nature) does that to you.

Yeah, a lot of good young talent did get overlooked. Eric Reid have been amazing at safety, and Cyprien has turned out to be an absolute stud at SS. Some teams in real life just have front offices that are horrendous, and I just choose to pretend that it works that way in Madden too.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

I haven't been through a full fantasy draft in Madden 25 yet, but in 13 it was very important to choose your scheme carefully. Guys who might be massive steals would be rated far lower or not shown at all.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
MVP

friscob's Arena

Poe has been great for me. Gets off blocks and is a key piece in my 3-4. Didn't expect him to make a difference in the pass game but shockingly he has 2 sacks in 4 games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »