Home

Just some quick defensive suggestions

This is a discussion on Just some quick defensive suggestions within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Just some quick defensive suggestions

Just wanted to share some suggestions since I see some are struggling with defense...

Contrary to what was said pre launch , auto contest is still in the game....it's under the controller settings but defaulted to manual...setting it to intense D should help with some of you getting caught flat footed when someone takes a J..

As far as one on one D...the defensive help slider under controller settings is defaulted to 50...lowering it will help you move your feet quicker, while moving it higher will slow you down a little more, but help our with positioning a little better..so that one is up to the player and their playing style...

Hoped that helps a little....Hopefully everyone has some tips they can share for playing better D...share here...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Pro

WizardJay's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Just some quick defensive suggestions

Use your defensive settings!!

A lot of people don't use em.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Know the team you're playing. If you're playing against a team like the Grizzlies, shut down the paint. Double team their bigs every time they touch the ball in the paint, force them to make threes and jumpshots. This will also cut down on the PIP when facing big teams.

Contrary, if you're facing a team like the Knicks, pressure their shooters as much as possible, don't let them get clean looks or you're in trouble.

Like the guy above me said, use your defensive settings, understand the strengths of the opposing team and adjust accordingly. You can FINALLY shut teams down on defense in this game and it's beautiful.

Also, don't worry if you start fouling guys, that's good, no easy layups, make them earn it from the stripe.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardJay
Use your defensive settings!!

A lot of people don't use em.
They do. Tight on all 5 onball, tight on all 5 offball.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
MVP

raiderphantom's Arena

OVR: 6

I have to re-learn defense all over again. I just can't guard the ball. Not the CPU anyway. I won the one user game I played. I played DRose yesterday and he torched me. Paul George did too but I had Klay Thompson on him. I'm tempted to just play offball but I want to improve my on ball skills.

XBLGT: tjor24
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 1

I don't know if it's just that the offensive AI has been improved, but I'm not seeing the improved defense vs CPU in 2K14.

I was playing as the Warriors against the Rockets on Allstar Sim, and:

Intense-D contest is no longer default. I tried to play without any auto-contest (since it's apparently frowned upon and the new default), and I'm just not able to contest very well, partly because--

RS hands up D has a major delay. It takes like 1 second before the hands come up when you're in certain animations. Sometimes it feels like you can't even get a hand up to half-contest even though you know the shot is going up.

LT no longer seems very useful, and causes me to get burned constantly, even with a lockdown defender like Igoudala. Actually I get burned with or without LT. Meanwhile, CPU has no problem staying in front of me and affording minimal penetration.

Harden constantly gets penetration, and so does Lin. Some of this is expected, and I actually *like* that the CPU ball handlers feel more explosive and dangerous. It seems that they rarely get stuck dribbling the shot clock out, which is great, but --

I'm not seeing very good help interior defense from the AI. Bogut is getting no blocks, and paint defense is usually out of position or just ends up fouling, not much different from 2K13 before sliders. Iggy has difficulty picking up players going to the hole, and most of the "physicality" I'm seeing is my guys getting dunked on.

RS hands up doesn't seem to do as much in the paint. Maybe this is by design, but again, it makes it feel like paint defense isn't really there.

The CPU offensive rebounds still seem ridiculous. Not only from Asik and Howard, but from Harden and Lin as well. Maybe because my guys are out of position after trying to contest, but it's the only thing I can do to prevent easy buckets (which often come anyway).

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or many things wrong, but I was playing pretty decent positional defense (using EccentricMeat's slider set) in 2K13. It's just strange that in a game advertising much improved defense, I'm getting destroyed more than ever on that end. It's starting to become frustrating already.

Any tips besides turning on auto-contest and that sort of thing?
Old 10-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
I don't know if it's just that the offensive AI has been improved, but I'm not seeing the improved defense vs CPU in 2K14.

I was playing as the Warriors against the Rockets on Allstar Sim, and:

Intense-D contest is no longer default. I tried to play without any auto-contest (since it's apparently frowned upon and the new default), and I'm just not able to contest very well, partly because--

RS hands up D has a major delay. It takes like 1 second before the hands come up when you're in certain animations. Sometimes it feels like you can't even get a hand up to half-contest even though you know the shot is going up.

LT no longer seems very useful, and causes me to get burned constantly, even with a lockdown defender like Igoudala. Actually I get burned with or without LT. Meanwhile, CPU has no problem staying in front of me and affording minimal penetration.

Harden constantly gets penetration, and so does Lin. Some of this is expected, and I actually *like* that the CPU ball handlers feel more explosive and dangerous. It seems that they rarely get stuck dribbling the shot clock out, which is great, but --

I'm not seeing very good help interior defense from the AI. Bogut is getting no blocks, and paint defense is usually out of position or just ends up fouling, not much different from 2K13 before sliders. Iggy has difficulty picking up players going to the hole, and most of the "physicality" I'm seeing is my guys getting dunked on.

RS hands up doesn't seem to do as much in the paint. Maybe this is by design, but again, it makes it feel like paint defense isn't really there.

The CPU offensive rebounds still seem ridiculous. Not only from Asik and Howard, but from Harden and Lin as well. Maybe because my guys are out of position after trying to contest, but it's the only thing I can do to prevent easy buckets (which often come anyway).

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or many things wrong, but I was playing pretty decent positional defense (using EccentricMeat's slider set) in 2K13. It's just strange that in a game advertising much improved defense, I'm getting destroyed more than ever on that end. It's starting to become frustrating already.

Any tips besides turning on auto-contest and that sort of thing?
Did you even read the first post ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 10-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Sundown,

There is no auto double settings as last year. Default it is set at manual. So if default is not working you need adjust when to double. What I have found is my on ball defense isn't as effective as it was on 2K13, out of the box. I have not changed defensive help controller settings. I played with zero on 2K13. I also play on broadcast but was able to guard better on 13.

• I would not crowd elite shooters who also can dribble very well extra tight. CP3's, Hardens, etc. You have to give them space and gamble at times with your elite defender and guess the direction. Harden is a monster I used him was impressed but only one game.
  • Paint play I use LT and right stick towards the defender. that is usually enough to alter most shots.
  • If you need more help d up your coach settings profile help D and change bigs to moderate or sag offball. If your help D from your bigs are not so good at help d. (Lee) don't be surprised, I think the defensive awareness ratings helps drives how effective they are.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »