Home

NBA 2K14 All Star Weekend Gameplay Dunk contest + 3 point contest

This is a discussion on NBA 2K14 All Star Weekend Gameplay Dunk contest + 3 point contest within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Pro

Daddy123's Arena

OVR: 3
NBA 2K14 All Star Weekend Gameplay Dunk contest + 3 point contest

So tried out Allstar Weekend, same dunk contest and 3 point contest. So I just let the CPU play since I suck at guitar hero. Court was still Houston, I guess that will be updated once NBA reveals the actual New Orleans court. This was done in association, I just skipped to the Allstar Weekend and these were the guys who were chosen to participate, you can't change the players to your liking and there is no separated game mode for All Star Weekend like last year so I am guessing you can't compete with players of your liking.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
MVP

infam0us's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: NBA 2K14 All Star Weekend Gameplay Dunk contest + 3 point contest

They should put the dunk contest back the way they had it before. Not a fan of the guitar hero mini-game
Old 09-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by infam0us
They should put the dunk contest back the way they had it before. Not a fan of the guitar hero mini-game
No doubt. I'm a huge proponent of the NBA Slam Dunk Contest. One of my fears with 2K is the manner with which they seem to gauge and rate the popularity of these modes. I've been hearing things lately (some substantiated, some not) about 2K using telemetry to read what modes gamers play the most and then catering to that popularity. I'm not sure I fully support this approach.

If any 2K folks were to read this post, I'd like to be very clear here: the manner with which I completely ignored the NBA Slam Dunk Contest and 3pt. Shootout in NBA 2K13 had absolutely nothing to do with my general disinterest in the idea of the contests themselves. It had everything to do with how poorly those two events were replicated in NBA 2K13.

The dunk contest controls are absolutely awful. Guitar Hero controls make absolutely no sense whatsoever in terms of replicating the feel of someone completing a slam dunk. Further, if I recall correctly, the controls were meant to be "fun friendly", for ****** gamers to pick up and succeed. In contrast, I actually found completing a dunk and winning a contest in 2K13 was much more difficult in both regards than its predecessors found in previous 2K's. And again, at no point do we ever feel we're in control of what's happening on the court. Absolutely no correlation.

The 3pt. Contest was just incredibly clunky. There was, in fact, a shooting groove to be found. But, under no circumstances do I feel a gamer's lack of ability to find a groove should be punished with complete controller unresponsiveness. In short, the mode offered virtually no fun, just frustration and confusion.

Overarching point: sometimes gamers don't play modes because the modes themselves were executed very poorly, not because gamers aren't interested. I've love a proper dunk contest and three point shootout (with controls that actually made sense). And I honestly believe, if the modes were actually put together effectively, there'd be a draw there. I mean, people still look back fondly to NBA Live All-Star Weekend from 2005. What was so great about Live's Dunk Contest and 3pt. Shootout? Intuitive, sensible controls. Great presentation. Customization (nearly any player could enter, even created players). Players could choose any jersey to wear (current, alt, any retro ever). A fun dunk practice mode. It goes on. If you build it, they will come.

Last edited by VDusen04; 09-29-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Agreed. They should also consider giving Joe Johnson a new sig shot as his current shot (which he's had for the past 2 or 3 iterations) is nothing like reality.

Considering he's got one of the sweeter strokes and purer forms in the league, it surprises me how rigid and robotic his 2K shot is.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
Pro

Daddy123's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
agreed I personally have never liked guitar hero, my friends had it and when ever my turn came as a kid I just said u guys play, I hate it why 2k gotta force me
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Yeah the dunk contest was just to hard for me, so I didnt enjoy it last year. The 3pt contest was glitched to where you couldnt finish a round, so it was basically non playable last year fo rme anyway. I enjoy doing the 3pt contest but unless they fixed it so you can finish the round I wont even play it in Association mode.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 09-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
No doubt. I'm a huge proponent of the NBA Slam Dunk Contest. One of my fears with 2K is the manner with which they seem to gauge and rate the popularity of these modes. I've been hearing things lately (some substantiated, some not) about 2K using telemetry to read what modes gamers play the most and then catering to that popularity. I'm not sure I fully support this approach.

If any 2K folks were to read this post, I'd like to be very clear here: the manner with which I completely ignored the NBA Slam Dunk Contest and 3pt. Shootout in NBA 2K13 had absolutely nothing to do with my general disinterest in the idea of the contests themselves. It had everything to do with how poorly those two events were replicated in NBA 2K13.
Yes. This. Just because a mode is not popular isn't necessarily the fault of the mode, but likely the promotion and implementation of the mode.

Also, some modes aren't used often because they're *TUTORIAL* modes. They're only needed when they're needed, ie. Practice Plays.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
MVP

infam0us's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Yes. This. Just because a mode is not popular isn't necessarily the fault of the mode, but likely the promotion and implementation of the mode.

Also, some modes aren't used often because they're *TUTORIAL* modes. They're only needed when they're needed, ie. Practice Plays.
The blacktop stuff ruined the dunk contest. I loved the PC version because I would always replaced the blacktop with the actual all-star arena venue and it was so much fun.

Another problem with the dunk contest was the name of the dunks. It's like they hired Darryl Dawkins to name all the dunks and you had no idea what was what in the help screen where they had the controls for each dunk.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »