Home

NBA 2k14 Impressions Thread Xbox 360/PS3/PC

This is a discussion on NBA 2k14 Impressions Thread Xbox 360/PS3/PC within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
NBA 2k14 Impressions Thread Xbox 360/PS3/PC

All impressions about the retail version goes here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: NBA 2k14 Impressions Thread

i do not have the game yet but i watched a few games this morning on twitch. player models are a little scaled back. the cp3 model looks like his stunt double.
the game seemed to move a bit more smoothly. i did not notice too many little pauses between animations.
one thing i was looking at was the layups in this version. i did not see as many awkward layup animations which is a good thing. still seemed that jump shots have a better percentage of going in that layups though.
from what i seen it runs smooth. not worth full price to me since its a upgrade not a new game. with that said i still want to play it.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
Plata o Plomo

iLLosophy's Arena

OVR: 26

watching a live feed on twitch. I have to say something about the way the players move looks great. I can't put my finger on it, but it's definitely noticeable and is way more fluid
Old 09-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
Rookie

iimrampage28's Arena

OVR: 2

saw more gameplay and people still seem to get stuck on each other when running around the court. Also saw a my player pickup game....same court, same announcer, not one block, same herky jerky player motions moving from side to side

Los Angeles Lakers | New Orleans Saints | Boston Red Sox | Jackson State Tigers
Old 09-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
Pro

Clappington's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iimrampage28
saw more gameplay and people still seem to get stuck on each other when running around the court. Also saw a my player pickup game....same court, same announcer, not one block, same herky jerky player motions moving from side to side
I know right and same BS shooting 3s in people face and making it lol. nothing changed in that aspect of the game at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 6

After playing five consecutive games on HOF, keeping in line with picking my hometown Raptors first, I'm impressed with the improvements.

I'll keep it short by saying that the only thing I wasn't too fond of is the pass modifier. Because all too often, I ended up pressing it out of habit and turning the ball over or doing an unnecessary flashy pass to someone 10 feet away from me.

The pro stick takes some getting used to. In my first outing, I ended up taking unwanted shots. But let me tell you this: Kyrie Irving and Chris Paul both have amazing handles (duh). But they're both very different in styles. Both very elusive and it's cool how sneaky they both are with the ball in comparison to 2K13.

Blocking is the real deal. I felt like I was in control of the blocks. Not once did a block feel like an animated sequence. This made dunking extremely rare for the most part. I attempted to run into the paint and dunk with Terrence Ross, Derozan, and Gay. Each time, I was met in the paint or at the rim by Aldridge, thwarting my attempts to posterize anyone within the vicinity.

I didn't get into play-calling much. However, LB is no longer used to call for a pick. It is now the 'B' button.

The crowd atmosphere has been improved also. In one instance, I walked the ball up the court and slowly did a couple hesitation dribbles. I was tryin' to bake Tyreke Evans immediately. I went between my legs a couple times, stepped back while putting it between my legs, did an in and out, went through my legs once more as Evans reached...the crowd went "Oooooooh!" and I drove past Freaky Rekey only to be met by Anthony Davis.

All in all, I like the improvements. Even though there's a slight learning curve in getting adjusted to the new controls, by my 2nd game, I was already decreasing the inadvertent passes and shots.

If I get a chance to play it again, I'll add a bit more to my impressions.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #7
Rookie

chadex's Arena

OVR: 1

I have the game early (will attach more proof if needed), and from what I've played so far (4 games in Association, one exhibition) I can easily say that this is and will remain to be my favorite NBA 2K game on this generation so far.

As SouthBeach (awesome name) said above me: Pro Stick definitely takes some getting used to. I did my first few possessions playing as the Clippers against the Heat to test it, and I kept passing when I wanted to shoot because Left Trigger is a pass modifier now, but I've gotten used to it. Some of the passes thrown look really awesome and I've pulled some nice possessions with it.

Also, because of blocking, I now feel like defense is just as fun as offense. It isn't overpowering but I feel like I have a fair shot of blocking things now if I time it right and I'm the right player, and boy oh boy I have cleaned people completely out if I timed it wrong. For instance, I was playing Bulls/Heat and Derrick Rose went into the air twice, I controlled LBJ: One time, I got a super clean block and sent that thing back into the stands. Second time, I mistimed it and sent D-Rose to the floor shaken up (really satisfying). Either way, blocking is awesome.

AI, especially defense is improved as well. I no longer feel I can do a simple cross and get into the lane, now you literally have to break down defenders and figure things out. Also as SouthBeach said above, crowd atmosphere is really, really improved. They will "OOOOH!" when you cross over, do a big dunk, boo loudly during fouls, things are just awesome.

My only gripe with the game is a bit with the Pro Stick: Dunking now is performed with holding RT+Right Stick Toward Rim, but Eurostep Layout is RT+ Right Stick Left or Right. So sometimes, I'll hold the stick toward the rim with Left or Right, but end up doing a layup when I want to throw it down. It's led me to using the shoot button (X) a bit more, but I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong and I'd love if anyone had proper directions.

Otherwise, I can't stress this enough, Go buy this game.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadex

My only gripe with the game is a bit with the Pro Stick: Dunking now is performed with holding RT+Right Stick Toward Rim, but Eurostep Layout is RT+ Right Stick Left or Right. So sometimes, I'll hold the stick toward the rim with Left or Right, but end up doing a layup when I want to throw it down. It's led me to using the shoot button (X) a bit more, but I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong and I'd love if anyone had proper directions.

Otherwise, I can't stress this enough, Go buy this game.
That is the exact issue I was having even after playing the 3rd/4th game.

I forgot whether 2K13 did this, but when the ball is being inbound from the baseline sorta behind the basket, the players will line up in single-file and then scatter to free themselves from the defense.

A couple things I felt after playing offense was that nothing ever really felt forced. I got into the paint and did a reverse dunk and it didn't seem too flashy. It was pretty contextual with the location of the defense and my momentum moving into the paint.

With dribbling, I tried forcing moves a BUNCH of times until realizing I was getting nowhere (just like in real life). Lost the ball a couple times while trying to forcefully bake the defender. I like that breaking down the defense is more effective when you're not just mashing around the RS. To tie in with that, I've also noticed that the speed differential is a lot more noticeable.

During fast breaks while controlling a guard, forwards and centers were not catching up to me and I was separating myself from them with ease. And while dribbling, if you are quicker than your defender, you can make one move to beat them off the dribble a lot easier. On the flip side, if you're on defense and get beaten off the dribble and end up chasing your man, all hope is not lost.Be prepared to time his layup to send the ball down the street for repairs (after swatting the bumps smooth off the ball).

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »