Home

Draft strategy / New Gameplan

This is a discussion on Draft strategy / New Gameplan within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Icon14 Draft strategy / New Gameplan

So I am totally changing my draft strategy I have been using for the last couple years in Madden. Before I would scout awareness and impact traits per position (example= block shed for LBs and DEs or Catch/speed for WRs).

I would often times find that high awareness guys would have higher overalls immediately so I thought these were the best players.

NOW, after reading some advice in these forums I am hearing that drafting those physical traits (that cost more xp pts) is the way to go and NOT to draft based on high awareness necessarily.

This makes a lot more sense now that I think about it because a guy that comes in at 73 OVR will develop (also depending on how good player dev is) a lot faster that a guy that comes in at 82 but has lower phys traits.

Does anyone have a list of traits that cost the most xp pts? For example, I know speed is one of the most expensive. I think the list would help when scouting to see which traits I should care about more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Draft strategy / New Gameplan

What traits would you scout for lbs now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Rookie

For LBs I would scout "Speed" and "Block Shed".
Old 10-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #4
Rookie

Primary for lb's I scout speed, acceleration, block shed, tackle, durability, injury, toughness. Acceleration is so important in this game now. Secondary stats are hit power, pursuit, play recognition, zone and man coverage.

They have to have B's in speed, acceleration, durability, injury. Hit power I like to see A's but I'll take a B if the other stats are good.

Speed is good, but with poor acceleration he can't get to the edge before the hb or qb.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
Rookie

Roster Space and Backups

I find one of the most important attributes is age. If you have the slot for that backup that barely plays, you can get 40,000+XP/year from practices (more with the coach upgrades that make players gain more and make things cost less).

I agree you want low awareness players: awareness is very cheap to upgrade.

Depending on how gamey you think it is you probably want to consider pass-rushing LB's at DE. It's much cheaper to upgrade strength, and acceleration on an LB than a DE so over time they develop into much better players.

You may actually want to scout awareness for the opposite reason: a player with a high OVR and low awareness tends to be a beast who upgrades into a gem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
Rookie

Which attributes are the most expensive to improve?

Speed
Development
?
Old 10-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcauley
Which attributes are the most expensive to improve?

Speed
Development
?
Speed, acceleration and agility are expensive for every position. Hit power is another. There are some that are position specific like man and zone coverage is expensive for line backers. Durability is one stat you really want a b grade in or your new rookie stud will be sitting out most of the season like McFadden.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfbeast
Speed, acceleration and agility are expensive for every position. Hit power is another. There are some that are position specific like man and zone coverage is expensive for line backers. Durability is one stat you really want a b grade in or your new rookie stud will be sitting out most of the season like McFadden.

To add to this, I think strength is one the more expensive ones as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »