Home

NHL 14 Revamped Attribute Suggestion Thread

This is a discussion on NHL 14 Revamped Attribute Suggestion Thread within the EA Sports NHL Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy > EA Sports NHL Last Gen Rosters
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Pro

puckhead73's Arena

OVR: 6
NHL 14 Revamped Attribute Suggestion Thread

Hey everyone, Puckhead here from the NHL Revamped team.

We are hard at work on our roster pack for NHL 14 and have been thinking of ways to improve the project itself. We absolutely want to provide the most accurate rosters available, and so we want to provide an outlet for you all to provide us the feedback needed to achieve that goal.

Ultimately we want to have your input to ensure that we don't overlook a specific trait in a players abilities, and as you know your team best, we want to have your input to make sure those little nuances are available in our game.

Here is the link to the Google Drive folder containing the different spreadsheets we have utilized. You will find one for each team under the teams folder, and then a couple other specialized document covering the different aspects of the project.

We ask that you take a look at the spreadsheets, and focus on the individual attribute ratings for a player by looking on the corresponding position tab of the team the player is on. If you see something we have incorrect, such as position, please go ahead and submit that here for us to correct. If you have a suggestion regarding an actual attribute, such as shot power, please submit what you feel the right rating would be, and explain your reasoning as to why in a coherent, civil, and constructive manner.

While we cannot guarantee that your suggestion will be accepted, we can promise it will be considered for inclusion. Please keep in mind that we have used not only statistics in determining our ratings given, but scouting reports off of hockeysfuture.com, thehockeynews.com, eliteprospects.com, amongst other articles and experience in watching the players play, so if we do decide not to incorporate your suggestion, we will explain why we made that decision.

We want the community to be a big part of this, and hope to become a largely community driven project.

Here are the links for the Google Folder and suggestion forms, please be sure to try and keep your suggestions in line with the attribute scales and averages we have on our attribute breakdown:

Google Folder

Attribute Breakdown

Skater Suggestions

Goalie Suggestions

One final disclaimer: With the processes implemented in this project, there will be variances in the Overalls you feel a player has received by our ratings compared to where you feel a player should be. As with last year the one rating that you should absolutely ignore with our project is the Overall, and I would say even moreso to a greater extent then last year. The discrepencies in Overall can largely be attributed to EA's process of weighting specific players attributes more heavily than others towards that Overall, especially when aligned with their player type. Keep that in mind, as we are not focused on the end Overall, but the skillset of the player itself.
NHL13 - http://goo.gl/Gmb9sf

CYCLONIAC'S MUSIC PACK - http://goo.gl/oPQtZt

Last edited by puckhead73; 09-12-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
Pro

puckhead73's Arena

Re: NHL 14 Revamped Attribute Suggestion Thread

Also, one final piece of information that will be extremely helpful to you all. We have gone through this year and are taking a different approach to ratings than last year. Last year we approached each attribute with a mindset that for an NHL player, 75 was the average. This was applied to each individual attribute. So if a player was better than average in speed, they would be above 75, if they were below average in slapshot accuracy, they would be below 75.

This year, we are taking a different approach, in that we have gone through each attribute, and have created a specific average for each attribute, per position. For example, we feel that deking is a characteristic that is heavily favored in forwards. So for an NHL forward, the average rating for deking would be a rating of 75. For defensemen though, it is not as high of a priority skill, so the average for an NHL defensemen is 68. These are the baseline ratings we edit players off of. We even took this a step further and created a separate average for AHL'ers, and an additional average for CHL'ers.

We took this approach as we feel this will better reflect the nuances of each position. For you to be able to implement these in your suggestions, please compare your suggestions with our attribute average sheet found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ZYjZJcGc#gid=0

Old 09-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11

One thing to note- the attributes that are currently listed for each player are from the last roster update for NHL 13. They will look much different for NHL 14. I will let everyone know when the attributes are updated.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:35 AM   #4
Pro

emericaridr11's Arena

OVR: 9

rockin
Old 09-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Wow... No idea this project existed. I hate the way EA does the attributes and glad to see some people hard at work to fix them. Keep up the good work and I'll be waiting till this project is complete so I can start my Live the Life/ Be a GM!

I'll also try to provide my feedback if I have time. I'm a massive hockey nerd. (Watch at least 200 games a year + I grew up playing hockey.)

Edit: Being a Leaf fan I thought I'd start there.

Phil Kessel:

Too High: Slap shot accuracy/ Power, Passing, Deking and Puck Control

I don't think his puck control, deking or passing should be as high as they are. Phil has a good shot and speed, but his actually stick handling is only slightly above average. Kessel while a good passer, he is just that. He mostly gets assist because teams tend to focus too much on his shot leaving someone else open. Plus he uses his speed to create a lot of room as well. Not because he is that creative or accurate with his passing ability.

I'm iffy on calling his slap shot too high because he can fire it, but the problem is he also fans on it A LOT! With that said his slap shot accuracy is only okay. He's got a wrist shot, but the slap shot isn't exactly is a great asset for Phil. (At least consistently.)

Too Low: Shot Blocking

He really improved this aspect of his game. I would say he is at least average compared to most NHL forwards. I know it's not something think about with Phil the Thrill, but he certainly can do it. Too be fair, I think he usually only gets his shot blocks because he's so quick, but with that said he still gets them. Phil also was tied for 4th on the leafs forwards for shot blocking.

Kulemin

Most people don't seem to respect Kulemin unless you watch him night in night out.

For example you guys seem to have him low in several categories were he is an NHL Elite in. I really want Kulemin to get the respect he deserves so I'll break down each attribute.

Body Checking 76

He was in the top 20 for hits in the NHL for forwards. He is a very effective checker, but at the same time not very aggressive. He hits to take the puck, not to injury players. (His aggressiveness should ne mid to low, not his checking.)

Shot Blocking 74

He was in the top 5 in the NHL for forwards. Leafs best shot blocker. (Despite his missed shot block in game 7 last year... Arggg!)

Kadri

Defensive Awareness: 78

He was the best +/- player on the team. He was excellent defensively and in the defensive zone. (Take that Ron Wilson!)

Slaptshot: 90

Not sure if Kadri really has a top slapshot. It's always hard to judge forwards, but I don't see the justification.

Dion Phnaeuf

Note: Phaneuf led NHL in playoffs for turnovers in the first round and in regular season led all the NHL. (Total giveaways and also turnover +/-)

Defensive Awareness: 84

He is below average in this category. He's been this way since junior. He gets lost in the defensive zone, blows easy coverage, etc. (Plus turnovers which I mentioned already.)

Passing: 85

He is not an aware passer and turns over the puck a ton because of this. (Worst turn over to take away ratio in NHL.)

Skating: 8X

He isn't a very quick skater. I would say average for his size.

If I could give a basic scouting report on Phaneuf it would be this. Good general hockey skills with zero hockey sense. He can shut down an NHL Elite player in terms of 1 on 1 on the boards, but unfortunately other than that gets completely lost on the ice at times.

Gardiner:

I notice a lot of attributes are a little on the low side. He is the Leafs best offensive defenseman. He is an excellent puck mover and very aware on the ice. Also a fantastic skater. He does lack some physical strength compared to the rest of his game though.

Mark Fraser:

This one is way off in my books. I'd say he is the best defenseman on Toronto right now overall. He led the NHL for a lot of the season in +/- (Sadly they put Phaneuf with Fraser to help Phaneuf out and it killed Fraser's +/-. He still was highest on the leafs by quite a bit.

If I could pin point two attributes that should be way higher.

Defensive awareness: 78

Easily his best asset. Incredibly smart defenseman. Toronto's most aware defensive player.

Passing: 65

He actually has a fairly good breakout pass. Not elite levels, but above average for sure. (At least 80)

Endurance: 74

He logs big minutes and doesn't seem to suffer from it.

---

Anyways that's my brief take on the Leafs ratings. I'm sure I could go through even more, but I got to get to work ha ha. I'll also go through some other teams and players I follow at some point to.

Last edited by shaken_bacon; 09-09-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Sorry for double post, but just in case my last post was read wanted this one to be seen too.

Just wanted to ask if we can get a Free Agent list as well? For example there are some decent talent free agents and I'm worried they'll be rated too high once these new ratings are complete.

I also noticed Drouin hasn't been rated yet so let me give you my take:

Johnathan Drouin

Speed: 77 (Decent skater.)
Body Checking:68 (Was strong in the Q, but I'm iffy about NHL.)
Endurance: 80 (Played big minutes and people loved to try and hit him, didn't slow down.)
Puck Control: 85
Passing: 90 (He'd make passes 90% of NHLers wouldn't even think about, maybe one of the most creative passers that's came up through the draft in years.)
Slap Shot Power: 72 (Haven't really seen him take too many, but he has a good shot in general.)
Slap Shot Accuracy: 70
Wrist Shot Power: 77 (Has a very good shot, we'll see how it translates into the NHL.)
Wrist Shot Accuracy: 80
Agility: 84 (agile.)
Strength: 69 (Stronger than people give him credit, but he's still young.)
Acceleration: 75 (I would say this is his weak point in skating ability.)
Balance: 75 (Incredibly balanced, but that was CHL.)
Faceoffs: 65 (Don't have the numbers, so I have a hard time judging faceoffs off memory.)
Durability: 79 (Has had a minor injury or two, pretty average so far.)
Deking: 84 (Crazy good mits.)
Aggressiveness: 65
Poise: 80 (Very poised in CHL, actually incredibly for his age, still I don't feel comfortable rating any higher having not played in the NHL yet.)
Hand-Eye: 80 (Very good hand eye.)
Shot Blocking: 65
Off Awareness: 85 (Incredibly awareness)
Def Awareness: 65
Discipline: 80
Fighting Skill: 55
Stick Checking: 68

Those are rough numbers because I don't know how you guys like to rate prospects. With that said, I have no doubt he is NHL ready. While sometimes playmakers have a hard time adjusting to the NHL, he will not. He thinks the game incredibly well and I think his game will be even better suited for the NHL. I expect him to not only make the team, but be a huge factor for Tampa Bay.

Nathan Mackinnon

Speed: 83 (Great stride)
Body Checking: 73 (Strong in Q, but we'll see.)
Endurance: 80
Puck Control: 86 (Incredible puck control for Q. Power Forward at its best.)
Passing: 80 (Great passer)
Slap Shot Power: 80
Slap Shot Accuracy:80
Wrist Shot Power: 84
Wrist Shot Accuracy: 82
Agility: 82
Strength: 76 (NHL strength, but he'll get even stronger in the next few years.)
Acceleration:82
Balance: 77 (Already so strong and so balanced.)
Faceoffs: 75
Durability: 80
Deking: 84
Aggressiveness: 78
Poise: 78
Hand-Eye: 78
Shot Blocking: 65
Off Awareness: 75
Def Awareness: 65
Discipline: 78
Fighting Skill: 60
Stick Checking: 71

Once again, another player that will be NHL ready. Unfortunately for Mackinnon one of his biggest asset is his strength and balance in my books. Which he'll only be average for this year. I expect Drouin's game to translate quicker to the NHL, but Mackinnon will be the better player down the road. Mackinnon is the complete package and when he gets stronger. He'll be incredibly deadly.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
Pro

puckhead73's Arena

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback shaken, the leafs are a ways down the line, but we will definitely utilize this along with our other notes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
Rookie

Steve Danger's Arena

OVR: 2

I haven't looked too deeply yet but one thing I have noticed is that Henrik (and probably Daniel) Sedin has a slapshot power rating of 88 or something. Any Canucks fans here will find that humorous.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy > EA Sports NHL Last Gen Rosters »