Home

Defense is ATROCIOUS!!!

This is a discussion on Defense is ATROCIOUS!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-31-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 11
Defense is ATROCIOUS!!!

Defense in this year's game is absolutely HORRIBLE.

As the 49ers, I just had a 57-52 shootout against the Broncos, in which Brock Oswieler threw for nearly 600 yards (582), 5 TD's and 0 INT's, and B.J. Daniels had almost 400 yards passing with nearly 200 yards rushing (186). On top of my nearly 600 yards from B.J. Daniels, I had another 100+ yard rusher with Kendall Hunter who broke 100 yards on less than 10 carries. All in all, both teams combined for about 1500 yards of offense in a single game.

This was against the CPU.

But in a string of games last night, I had one game where defense played any sort of role, a 17-10 game against my friend who was playing as the Dolphins, as I used my 49ers. In our rematch, he quit by halftime due to me running up a 35-0 score... the shutout I was pitching wasn't coming from well played defense, it came from a string of forced fumbles or interceptions.

So basically, what I'm experiencing, is that defense doesn't get stops, you either give up the score or get a turnover. There's no 3 and outs, there's no holding and forcing a punt. It's a score or a turnover.

Whether against human opponents or CPU, there are certain routes that are virtually uncoverable. The read-option is the read-option, and we all know how dangerous that is this year. Even certain run plays, most notably the stretch play, gives up 10-20+ yards routinely.

Am I the only one having these experiences?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
All Star

azdawgpound's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Defense is ATROCIOUS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise408

As the 49ers, I just had a 57-52 shootout against the Broncos, in which Brock Oswieler threw for nearly 600 yards (582), 5 TD's and 0 INT's, and B.J. Daniels had almost 400 yards passing with nearly 200 yards rushing (186). On top of my nearly 600 yards from B.J. Daniels, I had another 100+ yard rusher with Kendall Hunter who broke 100 yards on less than 10 carries. All in all, both teams combined for about 1500 yards of offense in a single game.

But in a string of games last night, I had one game where defense played any sort of role, a 17-10 game against my friend who was playing as the Dolphins, as I used my 49ers. In our rematch, he quit by halftime due to me running up a 35-0 score... the shutout I was pitching wasn't coming from well played defense, it came from a string of forced fumbles or interceptions.

So basically, what I'm experiencing, is that defense doesn't get stops, you either give up the score or get a turnover. There's no 3 and outs, there's no holding and forcing a punt. It's a score or a turnover.

Whether against human opponents or CPU, there are certain routes that are virtually uncoverable. The read-option is the read-option, and we all know how dangerous that is this year. Even certain run plays, most notably the stretch play, gives up 10-20+ yards routinely.

what are u playing on rookie?????? 57 points to cmp?????? I've played tons of games against cmp and the most I've given up was 28.... and that just happen now I lost 28-7. and a cmp qb has never come close to yards u gave up.... think highest was maybe around 280???
Old 08-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Several people have lamented on the defense in this game. Its pretty crazy. Holding someone to 5 yards a rush is great defense considering how powerful the blocking is. Pass defense is also unimproved from last year, and actually got worse if anything.

I want to try and get used to the game a bit more though before passing final judgment. There may be some formations or plays that get stops effectively that haven't been found yet.

For the sake of fairness, I'll note that there are some improvements made to defense. First, defense on halfback screens is greatly improved, which is great because they were 15+ yard gains last year 75% of the time. Second, TE lead passes seem to be defended more effectively. Dive tackles also seem stronger in the sense that they have a longer range. I also think that the 4-man rush is improved, slightly.

Still, the run blocking is so much stronger than it was last year, and its power single-handedly outweighs everything I just said, and then some. Pass coverage still needs a lot of work.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise408

I definitely sympathize. I've played 4 games in my franchise. Given up 3, 31, 34, and 10 points. Seems like my D is amped up at home for some reason I play lock down defense there. Try double teaming big play WR's/TE's if you're getting burnt. Defense is a chess match, keep working at it and you'll see results.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Head to slider forum
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Sliders bruh....you HAVE to change em this year in order to get in semblance of defense.
NFL: Pittsburgh Steelers
NCAAF: Florida State Seminoles
Old 08-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdawgpound
what are u playing on rookie?????? 57 points to cmp?????? I've played tons of games against cmp and the most I've given up was 28.... and that just happen now I lost 28-7. and a cmp qb has never come close to yards u gave up.... think highest was maybe around 280???
All-Madden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfan4life
I definitely sympathize. I've played 4 games in my franchise. Given up 3, 31, 34, and 10 points. Seems like my D is amped up at home for some reason I play lock down defense there. Try double teaming big play WR's/TE's if you're getting burnt. Defense is a chess match, keep working at it and you'll see results.
What are your methods of double teaming?

A couple years back, I used to just call Double X / Z / Slot / TE plays, but those don't seem to be around anymore.

Unless they just aren't in the playbook I'm using.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #8

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

The sliders has changed the game for me.

It takes time but just mess around with them for awhile until you find a set you're comfortable with.

When I first got the game and just wanted to play I was getting scores like that. After messing with the sliders for a week it's starting to feel pretty nice.

Went to halftime earlier today with the score 6-6.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »