Home

A very ambitious project...might need some pointers.

This is a discussion on A very ambitious project...might need some pointers. within the MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Pro

KomicJ's Arena

OVR: 1
A very ambitious project...might need some pointers.

Hey guys...

For the past couple of days, I started working on an All-Time roster (focussing mainly on 80/90/00's). I know there are some available in the vault already, but none of them seems to be franchise-friendly for many reasons;

- Most players are rated pretty high, 90 overall or above.
- Created players are often 18-20 years old.
- There's usually duplicates (ie. Bonds in PIT, SF).

So what I want to do is create a set with no duplicates, where all the players' age would be relative (ie. players born between 1950-1955 would be x years old, players between 1955-1960 would be y, etc...) and ratings based on their career stats, but again, relative to each others (so that you would have a bigger difference in overalls, eventhough they're all gonna be good/stars players).

Finally, I'm also aiming at a 90-man roster per teams...might have a few blanks, but want at least the majors and triple-A full. I think it can be done, though it might take me a LONG time to do it, but I don't mind. The idea is to create a set I would enjoy for a couple of years anyway. I also want to add a couple of legends from 70's or before, which would probably be placed in Class-A so that people can use them if they want to. Main roster should be 80's or above.

Now here's my questions;

- It's the first time I've ever try to do something like that for a baseball game (I'm much more familiar with NHL roster making) and could use some pointers as to which stats are used for which attributes in the game. Also, I think I've heard about calculators already available somewhere, if someone could link me to them (if they're available to the masses), that would be great. I have a pretty good idea for most of them, but wanna make sure my base is solid before I start doing the work.

- What's the "policy" regarding the use of players from the Vault, or already in Roster Sets ? Is it preferable to contact the creator before using, or is it okay to, as long as credit is given ? Thought that might save me some time on faces...

- I'm away right now, so can't check...but is it possible to edit the default players' age in the game ?

Now, don't hold your breathe if you're interested in this project, as it will probably take me a LONG time (I'm talking months probably). Like I said, the idea is to create a roster I would enjoy for a couple of years, so I'm in no rush and want to do it right.

Thanks for the inputs !
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Pro

MauerMorneau09's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: A very ambitious project...might need some pointers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KomicJ
Hey guys...

For the past couple of days, I started working on an All-Time roster (focussing mainly on 80/90/00's). I know there are some available in the vault already, but none of them seems to be franchise-friendly for many reasons;

- Most players are rated pretty high, 90 overall or above.
- Created players are often 18-20 years old.
- There's usually duplicates (ie. Bonds in PIT, SF).

So what I want to do is create a set with no duplicates, where all the players' age would be relative (ie. players born between 1950-1955 would be x years old, players between 1955-1960 would be y, etc...) and ratings based on their career stats, but again, relative to each others (so that you would have a bigger difference in overalls, eventhough they're all gonna be good/stars players).

Finally, I'm also aiming at a 90-man roster per teams...might have a few blanks, but want at least the majors and triple-A full. I think it can be done, though it might take me a LONG time to do it, but I don't mind. The idea is to create a set I would enjoy for a couple of years anyway. I also want to add a couple of legends from 70's or before, which would probably be placed in Class-A so that people can use them if they want to. Main roster should be 80's or above.

Now here's my questions;

- It's the first time I've ever try to do something like that for a baseball game (I'm much more familiar with NHL roster making) and could use some pointers as to which stats are used for which attributes in the game. Also, I think I've heard about calculators already available somewhere, if someone could link me to them (if they're available to the masses), that would be great. I have a pretty good idea for most of them, but wanna make sure my base is solid before I start doing the work.

- What's the "policy" regarding the use of players from the Vault, or already in Roster Sets ? Is it preferable to contact the creator before using, or is it okay to, as long as credit is given ? Thought that might save me some time on faces...

- I'm away right now, so can't check...but is it possible to edit the default players' age in the game ?

Now, don't hold your breathe if you're interested in this project, as it will probably take me a LONG time (I'm talking months probably). Like I said, the idea is to create a roster I would enjoy for a couple of years, so I'm in no rush and want to do it right.

Thanks for the inputs !
1. Use any of the calculators in this thread, I think they would all be really good. Some basic rating meanings are like this. Plate Vision is the amount you strikeout. Plate Discipline is basically how much you walk. The right & left contact and power is their average and power against the respective pitchers.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ulator-14.html
2. Yea it would probably be best to contact the creators just to make sure, unless you find a way to give them credit otherwise.
3. You can edit the default created players' ages, but you can't edit the SCEA players' ages.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

On contacting the creators of players/rosters....

Players in the Vault....I say they are pretty much up for grabs...
If you are taking players from rosters.....maybe a courtesy contact.
If you are going to use any of mine
(I have a 1949 and 1973 POST SEASON set in the vault right now and soon will have a 1984).....be my guest.
That's what they are there for...to use and enjoy!

M.K.
Knight165
Old 08-25-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
Pro

KomicJ's Arena

Thanks guys !

Knight, I'd be more than happy to use your players, as your stuff is top-notch. But I'm mostly focussing on 85-13 for this set. I have a couple of legends though, and will let you know if I borrow some of yours. Thanks for the offer...
Old 08-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by KomicJ
Thanks guys !

Knight, I'd be more than happy to use your players, as your stuff is top-notch. But I'm mostly focussing on 85-13 for this set. I have a couple of legends though, and will let you know if I borrow some of yours. Thanks for the offer...
You're welcome....

There will be quite a few from the '84 set for you.
They are coming along nicely as well. The set will be out next weekend.
It will have the post season teams
-Mets
-Cubs
-Cards
-Padres
-Tigers
-Blue Jays
-Angels
-Royals

M.K.
Knight165
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Rookie

DieHardTheHunter's Arena

OVR: 10

for age I would consider splitting players into three groups
group one use the players age of the first year he was with the team
group two use the players age of the last year he was with the team
group three use the players age of his peak WAR year, I use baseball reference for that
Old 08-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Pro

KomicJ's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardTheHunter
for age I would consider splitting players into three groups
group one use the players age of the first year he was with the team
group two use the players age of the last year he was with the team
group three use the players age of his peak WAR year, I use baseball reference for that
I though about using the peak year for age, but I also want to keep a certain realism, for lack of better words. Ie. I'd want Mike Piazza to be older than say Russell Martin on the team, which might not happen if I used peak years.

So what I'll do is something like that, where all the age would be relative according to their birth year:

1993-95: 18yo
1991-93: 19yo
1988-90: 20yo
1985-87: 21yo
1982-84: 22yo
1979-80: 23yo
1976-78: 24yo
(...)

That seems to be the best way to make sure the older era players would be older in age, and eventually slowly declining in game to make room for the players of today.

UPDATE
I'm finally done compiling all the players that could be in the set (been on that for 10 days). All I'm missing is the pitchers, but all positions are done (1458 position players). Now, I'm in the process of assigning these players to teams, and selecting who does/n't make the cut, so that there won't be any duplicates. I'm facing a couple of tough calls for that, and if you feel like pitching in, any input would be appreciated.

I'm doing the catchers right now...

Mike Piazza: I'm leaning towards placing him with the LAD, as his WAR and overall stats per year seemed a lot better. But he did play more games with NYM, and the LAD have more depth at C than NYM (Mike Scioscia would then be the LAD starter, with Russell Martin as backup). On the other hand, placing Piazza with LAD would leave NYM with Todd Hundley as starter, and probably Mackey Sasser as backup. Would you say Piazza's time in LA is that much more valuable than his time in NY ?

Carlton Fisk: Personally, I've only known him with CWS, so I'm kinda biased. But I know he's also an important part of BOS history. I have him as the CWS starter right now, with Pierzynski as backup, while the Sox have Varitek, backed by Saltalamacchia. Would you say both options are as good, or does Fisk belong in BOS, no matter what ?

B.J. Surhoff: I'm torn between using him at C with the Brewers, or as an OF with the Orioles. Putting him in BAL would probably mean having Lucroy as a starter in MIL.

Last edited by KomicJ; 08-25-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
Pro

KomicJ's Arena

Quick question: I'm working on the pitchers right now, and just noticed that FanGraph and Baseball-Reference both had differences in WARs. They seem to calculate it differently...is there one more reliable than the other ?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters »