Home

I have never played a baseball game before - should I get The Show 13?

This is a discussion on I have never played a baseball game before - should I get The Show 13? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
I have never played a baseball game before - should I get The Show 13?

I have never played a baseball game before. I don't really watch baseball much either until the playoffs. I don't really know when to swing on what count, or what each type of pitch means.

But, as a sports fan I respect the game, and would like to learn more.

Should I learn the game before I pick up The Show? Or will the game help me learn?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited by Thrillwaukee; 08-23-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
MVP

stlducks's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: I have never played a baseball game before - should I get The Show 13?

I was kind of in your position with soccer. I started playing Fifa and I learned the game a lot quicker and really learned to love it. At first the game might be overwhelming and you will get frustrated but just keep practicing and you will learn to enjoy it.
The game has a batting practice so you can learn when to swing, take advantage of the threads on here that offer advice, even people who have played this game since the beginning still get frustrated when they struggle.
Remember, the most important thing about baseball is if you fail 7 out of 10 times your going to be a hall of famer.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlducks
I was kind of in your position with soccer. I started playing Fifa and I learned the game a lot quicker and really learned to love it. At first the game might be overwhelming and you will get frustrated but just keep practicing and you will learn to enjoy it.
The game has a batting practice so you can learn when to swing, take advantage of the threads on here that offer advice, even people who have played this game since the beginning still get frustrated when they struggle.
Remember, the most important thing about baseball is if you fail 7 out of 10 times your going to be a hall of famer.
thanks so much! appreciate the thoughtful post.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
MVP

sydrogerdavid's Arena

OVR: 27

You definitely should get the game. I believe that video games are the best way to learn about a sport. That's how I learned about basketball, football, hockey, soccer, golf, tennis, rugby, and even cricket. Video games speed up the process of learning the rules and strategies of each sport, while being fun to play at the same time.

When you get the game, be sure to play it the way you want to play it. If you want to jack the sliders all the way up in your favor so you get 20+ hits per game, do it. If you want to try and replicate Major League Baseball as close as possible, do it.

Also, don't be afraid to ask any question you may have about the game on this forum. We won't laugh at you nor rip your head off for being a newbie. Everybody needs to start somewhere.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydrogerdavid
You definitely should get the game. I believe that video games are the best way to learn about a sport. That's how I learned about basketball, football, hockey, soccer, golf, tennis, rugby, and even cricket. Video games speed up the process of learning the rules and strategies of each sport, while being fun to play at the same time.

When you get the game, be sure to play it the way you want to play it. If you want to jack the sliders all the way up in your favor so you get 20+ hits per game, do it. If you want to try and replicate Major League Baseball as close as possible, do it.

Also, don't be afraid to ask any question you may have about the game on this forum. We won't laugh at you nor rip your head off for being a newbie. Everybody needs to start somewhere.
Will do, thanks much.

Just seems like a fun game, and it would be fun to tinker in owner mode and things. I'd like it as close to MLB as possible, what settings do you suggest for that?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2013, 01:11 AM   #6
Rookie

Definately get it. You're lucky. You're starting now with the starter mode in the game. It took me almost 3 titles to get above All-Star difficulty. But there is no better feeling to me than winning on the harder difficulties. The game is almost fully customizable. I recommend auto-fielding and base-running until you get a hang of the pitching and hitting aspects. I personally go back and forth. I think the game just looks and plays better with auto-fielding on. And if I'm in a sim mode, base running. So players play more to their true stats. It also cuts out the frastration you may feel if playing back-to-back games.

MLBPA 94 was my first game. And I learnt using the same auto-fielding function. And when I was ready for another challenge I switched over to manual.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #7
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
I love baseball now because of The Show.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 08-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 24

I always liked baseball but I never really bothered watching it until I played MVP Baseball 2005. Before then I only played a little.

And I agree that video games definitely help you understand the sport. For me a video game really helped me understand all the various strategies you can use, and the nuances of the game. I don't think you can really learn such things without video games unless you play baseball IRL or do a lot of exterior research, or pay a lot of attention while watching (a lot of) games.

Last edited by Bobhead; 08-24-2013 at 09:42 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »