Home

Utah Jazz: Untapped Potential

This is a discussion on Utah Jazz: Untapped Potential within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Utah Jazz: Untapped Potential

So a quick intro before I get this association underway. I will be playing a game a week and simming the others. It is a 30 team association, but I am only in charge of trades and player contracts for the other 29 teams. This means I make them sign who I deem fit, though reader feedback could come into play.

I want this dynasty to be something a little different, and all the posts will be in article format, like something you would see on a website. I want to cover more than just games, and this association may be a little slow and not progress as fast as others. I am using VTCRB's roster and 2014 draft class, with CWSapp's fictional draft classes for later years.

I hope you enjoy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Utah Jazz: Untapped Potential

UTAH JAZZ: WHAT DOES THEIR FUTURE HOLD?

By Ryan Carter

As you know, the Utah Jazz barely missed out on the playoffs in which most Jazz fans would call a wasted year. The Jazz had a team full of free agents, which stifled their young and promising players' developments. The Jazz seem to be starting anew, however. They have only retained one of their free agents, Marvin Williams, who decided to opt in to his player option on his contract. Four of the Jazz's 5 starters have left to different teams, and the roster this year seems much different than before.

The Jazz drafted Trey Burke after moving up in the draft. They also traded cash and future second round picks for Rudy Gobert and Raul Neto. The Jazz just recently signed Summer League standout Ian Clark to a contract with 1 year guaranteed. These moves show that the Jazz are in an all-out rebuild, and are committed to their young guys.

What can we expect from this Jazz team? Well, no one really knows. Needless to say, the Jazz is an intriguing team in development, and the future seems bright for the club.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
Rookie

RAUL NETO OPTS TO STAY OVERSEAS

By Eric Mays

Brazilian point guard and 47th pick in the 2013 draft Raul Neto has decided to stay overseas one more year to play for his Spanish Club Lagun Aro GBC. Neto's decision wasn't much of a surprise, while many Jazz fans were clamoring to have him brought over this year, two rookie PG's may have been a little chaotic for the Utah franchise.

Raul Neto has expressed his desire to play in the NBA, and when he was interviewed by reporters he said his father was a huge Utah Jazz fan because of the Stockton and Malone days. He told the press that his dad personally told him to get drafted by the Jazz on draft night.

While the Jazz may not have drafted Neto, they did trade for him, and shown their desire to keep him. While Neto may not be coming this year, Jazz fans, his time will certainly come. Now all we can do is hope that all the female Utah Jazz fans can recover from their hearts being broken.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Rookie

UTAH JAZZ RE-SIGN JEREL MCNEAL, LOOKING AT OTHERS

By Michael Washington

After a decent showing in the Utah Jazz pre-season, the Jazz have decided to re-sign Jerel McNeal. McNeal was signed near the end of last season, and didn't see a minute of time on the court. However, after a solid summer league and pre-season showing, the Jazz have signed McNeal to a one year contract.

McNeal seems to be a scrappy point guard, more of a defender than a shooter, and doesn't seem to have the potential to be more than a role player. McNeal may have a hard time finding minutes, with Burke, Lucas III, and Alec Burks all capable of playing the point guard spot. McNeal is able to play the 2, but is more of a scrappy point guard than a shooting guard.

Besides re-signing McNeal, the Jazz are looking at a few other players for the team, all big men. Malcolm Thomas was cut by the Bulls, even though he is a solid rebounder for the team, but his services seem to be in higher demand. The Jazz are also looking at Samardo Samuels, as well as Vernon Macklin. Samardo Samuels seems to be a capable player, but suffers from conditioning issues, and Macklin saw very little time during the 2011-12 season, and did not play in the NBA last season. The Jazz seem to be interested in Thomas and Macklin the most, though it may be hard to obtain the services of Thomas.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
Rookie

MACKLIN SIGNED BY JAZZ

By Michael Washington

With Malcolm Thomas getting signed by Golden State, the Jazz have signed Vernon Macklin to a one year non-guaranteed deal.

"Oh man, it's just a blessing to be back in the NBA, I'm happy to be back in this league, and I'll prove that I belong here." Macklin told the press when the news was released.

Macklin, the 52nd pick in the 2011 draft, saw little time with the Pistons during his rookie year. He was sent down to the D-League at times and averaged 15 points and 14 rebounds during his stint with the Fort Wayne Mad Ants. After his rookie year, the Pistons opted not to extend a qualifying offer, making Macklin a unrestricted free agent. Macklin played for the Turkish Basketball League, the Developmental League, and the Philippine Basketball Association.

Macklin seems to be a player that will experience little playing time for the Jazz, but with Richard Jefferson and Andris Biedrins on the roster, Macklin may be able to acquire time as a 12th man. With this, the Jazz have 15 players on their roster, and it seems to be set in stone for opening day.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 14

Definitely following!

I am really looking forward to seeing what you do with this team. Trey Burke is definitely an interesting storyline as the rookie looks to step in and take control of this rebuilding team, and make it his own. Burke dishing to Gordon Hayward could prove to be deadly. I also look for guys like Derrick Favors, and Enes Kanter to break out now that they will have more minutes with Milsap and Big Al gone.

Good luck with this, I will definitely stay up to date on it!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:23 AM   #7
Rookie

RYAN'S ROSTER ANALYSIS: PRE-SEASON EDITION

By Ryan Carter

Well, it's about that time again. With the NBA season only days away, I thought it would be best to look at what the Utah Jazz possess in terms of talent and assets. Since this is the pre-season edition, I can't really go off of stats, but instead, by each of the players capabilities.

Starting Point Guard: Trey Burke
Trey Burke of course will be starting at point guard, I don't see any other way around it. Burke will have some growing pains to start the season, sure, but I'm positive he will be a solid starter, at least for this season.

Starting Shooting Guard: Brandon Rush
Now this may cause some controversy, but I believe that Brandon Rush will start for Utah with Burks coming off the bench. Rush doesn't have to be a legitimate scoring option in a starting lineup full of them. He can just play 3 and D.

Starting Small Forward: Gordon Hayward
Gordon Hayward has shown that he is a capable starter in this league. During the offseason, he has tried to improve his mid-range game, but I look for Hayward to be the court leader for the Jazz this season along with Favors.

Starting Power Forward: Derrick Favors
Derrick Favors has waited too long for his chance to be a starter, but with Millsap and Jefferson gone, Favors is needed now more than ever. After having an offseason to work out with Karl Malone, Favors game may be more explosive than ever.

Starting Center: Enes Kanter
Enes Kanter, like Favors, has gotten the chance to work out with the Mailman. Kanter has also been working on his jumpshot during the offseason, and he could be a very big threat offensively.

Sixth Man: Alec Burks
The reason I believe Burks will be the sixth man this year is because of his versatility. Burks is capable of backing up either the 1 or the 2 spot, and because of this, he can cover whoever gets tired first. Burks will also be the number one scoring option off the bench.

X Factors: Who can either help or hurt the Jazz next season?

-Ian Clark: Ian Clark showed a great skill set during the Summer League. He played alright during the pre-season, but the ultimate question is just how good of a shooter is he?

-Jeremy Evans: Evans finally has a chance to show how great he really is. He worked on his mid-range game since the day he was drafted, and he really has a chance to show it off next season.

-Rudy Gobert: Gobert is raw, but only on offense. If Gobert is a solid defensive threat, he can be a great asset to the team. Gobert is 7 foot 2, so he can be a defensive nightmare a la Roy Hibbert.

-Marvin Williams: Williams had quite possibly the worst season of his career last year, but it turns out he was injured during the entire year. Marvin Williams could make or break the Jazz's bench, depending on how he contributes.

Non-Factors: Unlike X-Factors, I don't have too high of hopes for these players.

-Richard Jefferson: Jefferson is basically a mentor at this point in his career, don't see him to get many minutes or make much of an impact.

-John Lucas: Lucas is a chucker, and an NBA journeyman, I don't see him as much of an impact player for the Jazz this season, but more of a mentor for Burke.

-Jerel McNeal: With Burke, Lucas, Burks, and Clark all capable of playing point guard, McNeal will have too limited minutes to actually contribute.

-Andris Biedrins: Even though he is in a contract year, Biedrins to me will get little to no minutes to even prove anything.

-Vernon Macklin: The newly signed Jazzman is 26, which means he is who he is for his career. He may be an alright big, but he won't contribute.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:44 AM   #8
Rookie

GAME 1: 2013-14 SEASON OPENER
October 31 2013, Jazz (1-0), beat Mavericks (1-1), 112-105

By Tyler Warren

The season has commenced, and it was not without it's surprises. Opening day we saw the Wizards beat the Cavs, the Mavericks destroy the Lakers, and the new-look Celtics upset the Miami Heat. Day 2 is here and now the Jazz are involved in the action. The Jazz were scheduled to play against the Mavericks.

After the first half, the Mavericks led the Jazz by nine points. The Jazz outscored the Mavs 68-52 through the rest of the game and won their debut game of their new team. The MVP of the night was Derrick Favors. Favors had 22 points on the night on 9-15 shooting. Favors was also a presence on the defensive end as well, defending his fair share of shots.

"I just went out and played my game." Favors said afterwards, "[Karl] Malone, he really helped me out during the offseason, and because of him I was ready to attack the basket."

Favors wasn't the only Jazz player to stand out, as the team had a balanced offensive attack with 5 other players besides Favors in double figures, with Hayward leading the 5 with 13 points. The other 4 in double figures were Marvin Williams, Alec Burks, Enes Kanter, and Trey Burke.

The Mavericks were led by the scoring of Dejuan Blair, who, in limited minutes, managed to score 18 points on the Jazz. Nowitzki had 16 points, and Jose Calderon had 11 pts, with 6 rebounds and 9 assists, as well as 2 blocks.

The Jazz play the Hornets on November 2nd, followed by another game the night after, against the Spurs. The Mavericks have a 2 day break followed by a game against the Bobcats on the 3rd.

NOTABLE PERFORMANCES

JAZZ
-D. Favors: 22 Pts, 4 Reb, 1 Blk
-G. Hayward: 13 Pts, 6 Reb
-M. Williams: 12 Pts, 6 Reb
-A. Burks: 12 Pts, 5 Ast
-T. Burke: 11 Pts, 5 Ast, 2 Stls

MAVERICKS
-D. Blair: 18 Pts
-D. Nowitzki: 16 Pts, 2 Blk
-M. Ellis: 16 Pts, 9 Ast
-J. Calderon: 11 Pts, 6 Reb, 9 Ast, 2 Blk