Home

Adding drama to free agency

This is a discussion on Adding drama to free agency within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Adding drama to free agency

NBA 2k Free Agency
The drama that is the NBA off-season. Rumors are constantly swirling around the internet. Players that have no idea what they want to do with their future (Dwight). The NBA free agency period could almost be described as a circus; unfortunately this does not translate into the NBA 2K series. As is, the free agency period is boring, if you have enough cap room you can sign pretty much any player. Sure some players have preferences such as “loyalty”, “play for contender”, and “money” but I’ve felt as if these preferences haven’t meant much when signing a player. Here are some suggestions I have that could really spice up this period during the off season

“Pitch Points”

You do well during the regular season and even playoffs and you will get more points to use to recruit players during the offseason. These will allow you to offer more pitch options to free agents when you have a meeting with them. Most free agents will want to go contending teams so this is a way to give contenders a little bit of an edge during the offseason, as they would be going in with more pitch points than say a lottery team. These will allow you to offer more pitch options to free agents when you have a meeting with them. Most free agents will want to go contending teams so this is a way to give contenders a little bit of an edge during the offseason, as they would be going in with more pitch points than say a lottery team.

Recruiting

If there is one thing I learned during this off-season is that a lot of recruiting goes into signing players to a franchise. Players are being sold on playing time, system, money, lifestyle, championships and so much more. Wouldn’t a recruiting system work like the one in the NCAA series work well for 2k? Let me run you through a scenario, bear with me please. Next year Lebron is going to be a free agent, so I’ll use him for my example. The free agency period begins and Lebron already has preferences for where he would like to play, Heat or Cleveland. I’m the GM of the Lakers and I want to set up a meeting with Lebron to pitch him to play for us. Before this meeting I decide what I want to pitch to him. Being in LA I want to sell him the lifestyle, endorsements, and championship contention. Now time to see how the meeting went.
Lebron really liked the idea of playing for a championship team and the endorsements. LA has a high enough rating in both those categories to get the Lakers into his top three teams, but he wasn’t really a fan of the LA lifestyle so that keeps the Lakers behind. He will need a few days to make up his mind and meet with other teams.

Rumor Madness

Over the next few days news is being leaked over the twitter machine. “Lakers pitch to Lebron has him seriously considering Lakers”. “Cleveland pitches come back home and bring us a championship”. “Miami front runners can offer Lebron one more year at 25 mil”. “Mystery team has Lebron second guessing his choices”. These rumors are having you nervous. Do you spend more points trying to get another meeting with Lebron or wait until it plays out and see where he signs so you can go after another player?

The Decision

Lebron has decided that he wants to go back home to Cleveland. Miami isn’t happy about this but lucky Lebron has agreed to do a sign-and-trade. After a few days of negotiating the trade finally goes through and the rest of the NBA free agency continues.

This is just an idea I had, a way to spice up the drama that is the NBA free agency. Obviously it’s not perfect but I think it’s a start! I hope you enjoyed this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Pro

d23x's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Adding drama to free agency

I like a lot of what you were saying. I definitely would like to see more of a recruiting style when it comes to free agency, instead of just offering a contract in hopes that the player will sign it.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

very interesting.... hoping we'll see this in 2k14. hope to see the new features for mycareer mode soon
Old 07-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

Great post! Unfortunately its probably too late to get this stuff into 2K14, but I would love to see this stuff.

Association needs some huge changes, and this stuff would be a great start
Old 07-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan2
Great post! Unfortunately its probably too late to get this stuff into 2K14, but I would love to see this stuff.

Association needs some huge changes, and this stuff would be a great start
Whose to say that they haven't integrated this already? Remember, we know very little about the game so far.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

I like everything you said.

-like this year Free Agency didnt really start until Dwight signed somewhere. that should happen in 2k as well. (wouldnt start until LBJ signs or picks a team next year)

-The pitch points I like, but i think has to be tweaked. the first thing I thought of is teams like Dallas or the Lakers. If I were the Lakers I would try to trade Pau, amnesty Metta, and try to tank by keeping kobe out until feb. This would give me a high draft pick in 2014 which is smart.
-but should this strategy which a lot of teams do (boston might be tanking this year too) keep me out of the running for good players in FA like LBJ or Melo? I think teams like Boston and LA are the exception because even though they make tank this one year they always have a good chance at getting great players if they have the money.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »