Home

What is wrong with defense?

This is a discussion on What is wrong with defense? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
MVP

jersez's Arena

OVR: 15
What is wrong with defense?

Feel free to leave your opinion on what needs to be fixed on defense, this is just my opinion. and I know I left a lot of stuff out I can't find my notes at the moment.

I'm going to breakdown what I feel is wrong with the defense, in three categories. Team defense, off ball defense and on ball defense.

Team Defense,
Major Issues- Rotations and Logic.

The Logic,

is really bad you'll see your teammates make terrible decisions throughout a game. Constantly being beat on back cuts, even with "defensive pressure" very low and defensive settings on sag off, they'll run right into the defender your controlling or take poor paths if a (off ball)offensive player loses them from a cut or screen, which creates open shots. Double teams, a teammate will decide to take "the long way" to the person I want double team'd. Also you'll see two teammates go with a offensive player using a off ball screen.

Defensive settings don't seem to work consistently, if I select double on drives, I rarely get the help I was looking for making shading useless. Also when you select focus on stars, they shouldn't be double teaming fullcourt, if that star player is bringing the ball up. Also the transition defense is really disgusting, I mean I've seen the cpu and user opponents throw full court passes because my team simply jogs back and it's nothing you can do to fix that, coaching wise.

Rotations.
The rotations could have been included with the logic, but this is such a huge issue It deserves it's own category. Rotations improved a little bit, on the cpu side you'll see big men, sag off to help when you're about to drive, even though the rotation speed for the cpu is very unrealistic it's pretty solid for the most part.

On the user end it's terrible, big men don't know when to step into the lane to contest shots in the paint, off ball defenders don't know how to help the helper.there is a reason why man to man isn't really played online and why most people play zone(passing being super slow and rotations being super fast also help for zone users)

Off Ball Defense.
There isn't any real interaction with off ball players offensive and defensive, there is no struggling to get free or realistic bumping. Deny ball is pretty sad, because it's not very realistic, it's realistic as in the coverage being super tight and trying to deny any passes to that specific player. It's unrealistic like I said earlier there is no interaction it's hard for me to describe but this is what great denying defense looks like But outside of denying defense, fighting through screens needs improvement in being able to actually get through the screen or not. Also being able to swim through and trying to avoid collision with your teammates would be nice for 2k14.

On ball defense.
This is the one category I can remember most of my notes from. The biggest issue with off ball defense is that it feels like we're fighting the game every time we defend the ball handler. Let me explain, I defend a crossover and the ball handler does a step back move which throws me out of position even if I guessed he was going to do that, now I have to fight with speed, momentum and the foot planting just to defend the next move. You just feel like you're at a disadvantage at times for playing on ball defense, it shouldn't be easy but I shouldn't feel like I'm being cheated when my opponent scores. It really feels like the game pulls your defender at times and I have no idea why when my defensive assist is at 0.

I can't remember everything I wrote down, but this is just my opinion and I'm just tired of defense being treated like a step child, the offensive side of the ball has all these new features and improvements, while defensively we get new triggers to use lock on defense, not to mention that the fact that we can't defend those can-animated crossovers. I'm not saying playing lock down defense should be easy. Also if I guess correctly and beat the ball handler there, reward me. Reward me and stop allowing the ball handler continue his path to the basket.

Last edited by jersez; 06-29-2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: I'm in a rush couldn't fully proofread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: What is wrong with defense?

Rotations

The rotations are bad they need more options like defensive pre rotations. There are defensive speeds given to the CPU where they don't need to realistically be aware and rotate to help elite players. So they are able to cut down the paint while at the same time in perfect position to defend the perimeter. Basketball is based off helping the helper especially against elite penetrating guards and wings. Most teams lock down the paint by default and give up the long range two with help rotations.
  • We need one option to shade the defense to an elite player side. When a Melo, LeBron isolates off the wing. There is usually one player who is playing zone and shades to the side just to try to eliminate dribble penetration.
  • We need to be in control on how to play the post deny the ball on post ups only. Would be different than deny ball all the time. This is one of the most effective things of how teams chose to defend Melo on post ups.
On ball defense
  • On ball defense is bad because the dribbler is given free range to do what they want to do. There is little penalty for over dribbling so they have to fix dribbling dribbling interaction/ live ball before on ball defense is fixed. The animations need to be redone right now I can bring a triple team and elite ball handler will dribble through it like I am not even there.
Zone recovery speed is so rediculous right now that it has to be fixed along with the passing wpeed.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
MVP

raiderphantom's Arena

OVR: 6

I'm always controlling all 5 positions as best I can, making sure guys aren't out of position, even if I have to let the ball handler be defended by the CPU for a moment. My biggest problem is the sliding and sticking. I just don't have full control. Still, the rotations are very poor. Another problem I can't shake is the defensive awareness. All defenders should be be between the offensive player and the basket, and any player one pass away should be engaged in the passing lane. I'm tired of seeing top level defenders with their back to the ball giving up easy passes. See your man and see the ball.

XBLGT: tjor24
Old 06-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Rookie

Khaos_Kiwi's Arena

OVR: 0

Another issue with defense is the player match-up logic in MyCareer. I hate how we can't manually change a player's defensive assignment like we can in Association.

Due to injuries throughout the season, you can come across many defensive mismatches and there is just nothing you can do about it.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Paint defense is my number one problem with this game. If there were any resemblance of contact in the paint, the defense in this game would be a lot better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
MVP

jersez's Arena

OVR: 15

A couple of examples of what I was talking about.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

1. Live ball

2. Paint contact

3. Bring back signature dribble

4. Lower the effectiveness of floating jumpers

5. Better defensive animations

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 06-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

the lack of contact in the paint.

Last edited by Chocolate Chip; 06-29-2013 at 10:22 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »