Home

Things You Wish You'd Known Earlier in Life

This is a discussion on Things You Wish You'd Known Earlier in Life within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Banned

Jdoug312's Arena

OVR: 13
Things You Wish You'd Known Earlier in Life

I can't really think of anything to bring to the table, just trying to soak up some knowledge haha.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Things You Wish You'd Known Earlier in Life

1. Have a diverse group of friends. Makes one a much more rounded person and definitely teaches you how to interact with other people when you do start working. I didn't have diverse friends until I was in the military.

2. Have a job while in college, don't wait until you GRADUATE and then start looking for your first job ever. I see way too many young people doing that. Honestly you should start working at age 16, or at least by your senior year in high school. I tell younger people all the time, college degree don't make nothing unless you have the work experience to go along with it. Oh you never worked a day in your life but want this $45K a year job because you have a college degree ? Next !!!!!!

3. You will never understand women, so don't waste your time trying to figure them out. You will never win an argument with one either, so don't even try.

4. Military is fubar and highly corrupt that love doing backwards makes no damn sense crap. If you can help it, don't ever go in as enlisted.

5. There is a huge much different world out there outside of your home state. You will be amazed how different things are depending on what state and town you are in. You will never know it unless you go outside of your home state and region of the USA.

6. Rims, tinted windows, speaker system and all car mods in general are a waste of money. Put that money towards a house instead.

7. Going to the club and bar on a weekly basis is a money pit. Especially if you do it 3 days or more a week. You will be amazed how much money you save when you cut back on that stuff. You will find yourself with a few hundred extra dollars in your pocket every month.

8. I wish known about Youtube years ago when it first started. Good lord it so many people making a lot of money off Youtube, good lord.

9. Don't be so trusting of others when it comes to ideas of something you want to do. Friends will steal your ideas and end up implementing them before you do.

10. Date who you want to date. Don't try to date who you think your friends might like or accept.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

^^^I'm 20 that post opened my eyes a lot! Working while in college gets tiresome but worth it! And I do want to buy a speaker system even though i shouldnt lol.

If I was 16 again

1. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Need that money through college.

2. Be prepared to say "Dang where all these bills come from"

3.be social. Not to just a specific clique but to many different people.

4.dont be scared to step out of your comfort zone

5. Don't argue with women. Man I wish I knew that earlier.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 06-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Banned

Fly3's Arena

OVR: 9

Wish I'd had the foresight to start my business at a younger age. You're never too young to start making money as long as you have a marketable skill/product.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson

7. Going to the club and bar on a weekly basis is a money pit. Especially if you do it 3 days or more a week. You will be amazed how much money you save when you cut back on that stuff. You will find yourself with a few hundred extra dollars in your pocket every month.
This is something I discovered very quickly as everyone in college wants to go out like Thursday-Sunday. Cut back some last semester and was able to have extra $$ to do other things besides alcohol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35

I went through a phase after turning 21 where I was in a bar every single weekend and if I wasn't, I was bored out of my mind.

Now I rarely even go. I usually pre game and eat at the house and then get someone to take me. You spend less money and you're ready to leave sooner.

Here's some from me:

1. If you're in high school or college and you have a vehicle that will get you where you need to go, don't go purchase another vehicle. Some people buy new vehicles because they feel insecure about who they are too. I got more action when I drove a 99 Honda Civic than I ever had when I drove a bright yellow SS Cobalt. Personality counts

That extra car payment isn't a big deal at first and it's easy to cover until an emergency arises and suddenly money is extremely tight.

I went through that forever until finally getting things straightened out for myself. Wait until you're settled in with your life and then go get that vehicle you're working hard for.

I worked 40+ hours a week, while still going to school just to pay for a new car because I thought I needed one in HS. I had a truck that was reliable and paid for that I should have kept driving.

2. Get a job in High School. Even if you're fortunate and have parents who will pay for your gas, food, etc. you need to get a job. It could be 15 hours a week sacking groceries.. just get out and learn how to interact with people in a job setting. It will go a long way. It will also show your parents that they have raised a kid that isn't lazy and is willing to work to help out.

Parents with kids who work also seem to be more trusting.

You will also learn to be nicer when dealing with people who work jobs like that. I'll even say yes m'am and no m'am to a 16 year old kid in a drive thru just because it's the polite thing to do.

+ You won't have a sense of entitlement like some OSers seem to have.

3. Don't view people in school to be different just because they belong to a certain group (cheerleaders, band, etc). Once you get older, most of that **** won't amount to anything or even matter.

4. Don't start smoking. It's the cool thing to do in high school, but just don't pick it up. It's a nasty, habit forming, money pit.

I'm sure I could sit forever and come up with things to say.

Last edited by AUChase; 06-29-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Madden & NBA 2K fanatic

Joobieo's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
1. Have a diverse group of friends. Makes one a much more rounded person and definitely teaches you how to interact with other people when you do start working. I didn't have diverse friends until I was in the military.

2. Have a job while in college, don't wait until you GRADUATE and then start looking for your first job ever. I see way too many young people doing that. Honestly you should start working at age 16, or at least by your senior year in high school. I tell younger people all the time, college degree don't make nothing unless you have the work experience to go along with it. Oh you never worked a day in your life but want this $45K a year job because you have a college degree ? Next !!!!!!

3. You will never understand women, so don't waste your time trying to figure them out. You will never win an argument with one either, so don't even try.

4. Military is fubar and highly corrupt that love doing backwards makes no damn sense crap. If you can help it, don't ever go in as enlisted.

5. There is a huge much different world out there outside of your home state. You will be amazed how different things are depending on what state and town you are in. You will never know it unless you go outside of your home state and region of the USA.

6. Rims, tinted windows, speaker system and all car mods in general are a waste of money. Put that money towards a house instead.

8. I wish known about Youtube years ago when it first started. Good lord it so many people making a lot of money off Youtube, good lord.

9. Don't be so trusting of others when it comes to ideas of something you want to do. Friends will steal your ideas and end up implementing them before you do.

10. Date who you want to date. Don't try to date who you think your friends might like or accept.

Just coming off being an Active Duty Marine ( 4 years ). NEVER go in Enlisted, if you have any ambition of going into the Military get your degree and go Officer.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
MVP

jack1535's Arena

OVR: 3
That I'm ****ing awesome and if I act like myself people will like me and I'll make more friends and enjoy life. Spent too many years being afraid of what others think of me and being rejected.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »