Home

Expansion Mode

This is a discussion on Expansion Mode within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

OVR: 0
Expansion Mode

When should we expect Madden to implement an expansion mode? It is well overdue, and would be quite groundbreaking since no other major sports title has had one yet (unless you count Madden 02). There are logistical obstacles they would have to face. Such as, uneven amount of teams, uneven divisions, scheduling AI concerns. However, I think they could bypass all that by going with the addition by contraction route. In other words, just have the user pick a team to replace. And put the players from the replaced team into a 1 round 32 player draft, with the rest going into free agency after.

Of coarse, it's just one idea. So what are your thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
MVP

kmoser's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Expansion Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
When should we expect Madden to implement an expansion mode? It is well overdue, and would be quite groundbreaking since no other major sports title has had one yet (unless you count Madden 02). There are logistical obstacles they would have to face. Such as, uneven amount of teams, uneven divisions, scheduling AI concerns. However, I think they could bypass all that by going with the addition by contraction route. In other words, just have the user pick a team to replace. And put the players from the replaced team into a 1 round 32 player draft, with the rest going into free agency after.

Of coarse, it's just one idea. So what are your thoughts?
I like the idea. I think it would be pretty cool. Maybe there could be a league wide draft but the already established teams make a protection list. Maybe the list would be 22 players (11 offense and 11 defense) and whoever is not on a protection list can be drafted. Just a thought.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
MVP

Trackball's Arena

OVR: 7

It's too late to put it in this year, obviously, but I've wanted something like this for the longest time.

How better to build a team from the ground up, than when the team is first established?

And you bet your butt you can expect to suck in your first year--expansion teams are allowed to do that. But can you make the playoffs in your second year of existence, as the Jaguars and Panthers did?

It IS true about the logistical problems, though...but you do have some neat ideas on how to get around them. The most obvious would be picking what team to replace, thus keeping the total at an even 32.

I think the only game that ever tried this was NBA Live '96, and I bet that only happened because the expansion draft happened too late for the Raptors' and Grizzlies' final rosters to be put into the game, or something. But that game had no concept of "protected lists," so you could make an awesome team right from the get-go, while the other team was composed of scrubs.

(Strangely, I remember Kenny Smith, the Houston Rockets' starting point guard on their championship teams, kept getting picked in said game's expansion draft, even though he was on the Rockets' real-life protected list. In reality, the Rockets lost third-string center Zan Tabak.)

Last edited by Trackball; 06-29-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Added exactly what NBA teams debuted in that game and year.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Rookie

Dos Peninsulas's Arena

OVR: 3

But if you need to contract a team in order to put in an expansion team, then realistically wouldn't the league just move that team? Which they've added as a feature, unfortunately is sort of limits options even though it's pretty in depth.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I would love it, but it would probably have to be in a way that adds two teams, one to each conference and just have two divisions of 5.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos Peninsulas
But if you need to contract a team in order to put in an expansion team, then realistically wouldn't the league just move that team? Which they've added as a feature, unfortunately is sort of limits options even though it's pretty in depth.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I would love it, but it would probably have to be in a way that adds two teams, one to each conference and just have two divisions of 5.
That's probably one of the reasons Owner Mode is back, to get around an "expansion" thing. And - as we all know - the NFL is so super protective of their image despite the fact that they keep whoring themselves out to England every freaking year, that they would not approve of such a mode. Jus' sayin'...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #6

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
That's probably one of the reasons Owner Mode is back, to get around an "expansion" thing. And - as we all know - the NFL is so super protective of their image despite the fact that they keep whoring themselves out to England every freaking year, that they would not approve of such a mode. Jus' sayin'...
Approving an expansion mode is no different then allowing us the ability to move current teams and re-name them.

Because they've already approved that it's pretty clear the NFL would not be a hurdle to an expansion mode.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

On the old Maddens I used to go into create-A-team and create a 'cupcake' team with like 60-70 rated players and pretend it was an expansion team. Sucks you had to replace an existing team though.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 1

unless new teams enter , u aint gettin it.. The only time it happend in a Madden game was when the texans came into the league. that was 2001 or 2002. havent seen it since and will never see it again, EA sports at its best

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »