Home

OFF Ball defense

This is a discussion on OFF Ball defense within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
OFF Ball defense

Havnt seen a thread on it so I made one...

I think we should have an off ball defenive rating.. Some guys just are not very good off ball defense... Some guys run with guys coming off screens harder than others... And I would like that to me accounted for..

Just because you set a guy to deny on off ball shouldn't make him play the same as a great off ball defender.. This would help out on defense when u need someone to help stop shooters coming of screens like klay Thompson or ray Allen are very good at...

Vise versa I'd like to see and off ball offensive rating some guys might be great shooters but are just spot up guys...

This could also be a tendency thing though..

In the game Novak is just as good as anyone when running off a screen and in real life that's not what he does

Like to see others opinions on this
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: OFF Ball defense

I actually think this is a great idea.

It's also a good point that set shooting isn't the same thing as shooting off a screen even though both are off ball and not off the dribble. There should be a separate rating for shooting after movement even as a catch and shoot.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
MVP

jersez's Arena

OVR: 15

off ball interactions is nonexistent in the current 2k game, would love to see more fighting over or under screens, shooters setting up their shots and denying the ball is actually denying the ball lol. I agree, devs need to address this and I hope they have.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:41 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
off ball interactions is nonexistent in the current 2k game, would love to see more fighting over or under screens, shooters setting up their shots and denying the ball is actually denying the ball lol. I agree, devs need to address this and I hope they have.
On the denying ball thing I feel like they need to have more risk reward to this aswell... But to me It just seems like the go to defense... If you do deny it should have more times where the player getting denied cuts and loses his man or when coming off a screen te defender gets leveled by the screener cus he is try so hard just to stay on his man...
Old 06-17-2013, 02:46 AM   #5
Rookie

good idea but how are u going 2 determine the off ball rating?
will it be subjective...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2013, 02:49 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
I actually think this is a great idea.

It's also a good point that set shooting isn't the same thing as shooting off a screen even though both are off ball and not off the dribble. There should be a separate rating for shooting after movement even as a catch and shoot.
Exactly no everyone is steph curry and can just shoot it no matter what... Some guys break defenders down and drain, some come off screens, some just spot up till the d gets lazy or the ball movement is good..

Tendency maybe need to tie into the ratings more maybe not just what the CPU chooses to do with them.. Say a guy is a 80 mid range.. But with a tendency of 90 spot up shooting...so his shot is an 85 in spot up situations... And if he is a 60 off dribble and takes a shot off his dribble its now an 75 mid rating

I would like that to me the same for off screen, runner, floater, up n under, hook, fade, etc...

I also feel like shoot off dribble needs to be more clarified.. To me a dribble step over or a pump and dribble shot should be different than a shot off dribble and still different than a spot up shot...
Old 06-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
MVP

jersez's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKINGxSCOTTx
On the denying ball thing I feel like they need to have more risk reward to this aswell... But to me It just seems like the go to defense... If you do deny it should have more times where the player getting denied cuts and loses his man or when coming off a screen te defender gets leveled by the screener cus he is try so hard just to stay on his man...
take it a step further having the coaching option on how you want to deny, if I'm denying lebron and I don't want him to get to his hotzone that should be a option, if I want to the defender to be deny back door cuts or cuts to the paint that should be an option, or if I want the defender to not give up 3 point looks, he should be focus on denying the 3 more than finishing at the rim. I'm tired this didn't come out right smh .
Old 06-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Basic movement on off-ball defense needs to be improved as well. Simply turning around to cover your guy when he cuts to the rim takes way too long. What I would like to see is some way to start your movement quickly, like the off-ball moves on offense. The offense can start their movement quickly but defenders always seem to be in slow-motion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »