Home

Underrated/Overrated players

This is a discussion on Underrated/Overrated players within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Rookie

BoomerHB52's Arena

OVR: 2
Underrated/Overrated players

Here's a question for you guys..

Who do you think are the most underrated and overrated players in Thew Show? Not saying who deserves more OVR or stats, What I mean is who are those players that have for example, 72 OVR but in your franchise they constantly play well.. They play much more than what their stats show. And the opposite for overrated, those guys rated high but always struggle?

Im asking this because in my Cardinals franchise, im in year 3, and I have noticed that there are a few players who hit and have low stats, and doesnt hit but have high stats. The curious part of it is that half of those players plays exactly like that in another franchise I have.

Underrated players I have noticed are:
- SP Tommy Hanson and SP Jason Vargas. They have pretty decent stats but as you know, Jered Weaver and CJ Wilson are the top dogs in rotation, however, both Vargas and Hanson have outpitched by far those two. For the second straight season, they both had 16 W and ERA under 3.10.
- RP/CP Mark Montgomery. Though he has a 97 K/9, he is at 71 OVR. I took the gamble and chose him in the rule 5 draft starting thr second season and made him my closer. He ended up with 55 SV and starting third season his OVR is at 86. He is one of the fastest players in terms of progressing I have seen so far.

Overrated:
- Mike Trout. For some odd reason, he has struggled a lot. Although he has averaged in two seasons 20 HR and 80 RBI's, his AVG doesnt even reach the .240 AVG.

I'll go check other players and post it here as I cannot remember well. Have you seen guys in your franchise like this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Underrated/Overrated players

I'm in year three of my Dodger franchise.

Underrated:
Carl Crawford - Rated 83 overall but he plays like his old self every season.
Dee Gordon - He's horrible in real life but he's been great in the Show.
Shawn Tolleson - Rated 78 but plays like he's 90+ every year.
Juan Pierre - Rated 68 when I got him and currently rated 60 and puts up solid numbers.
Travis Hafner - One year he batted .340 and has done very well as a pinch hitter. Pretty good for a guy rated in the 60s.

Overrated:
Matt Kemp - Had one good season and has been mediocre since.
Hyun Ryu - Went from rookie of the year to Triple A starter.
Kenley Jansen - Rated 95 at one point but he was so bad I cut him.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
MVP

BZito75's Arena

OVR: 11

Started an Orioles franchise

After 9 games (5-4)

Underrated
Mclouth 69 overall hitting .348 2 hr 5 RBI

Overrated
Markakis .250 1 hr 2 RBI no other extra base hits
Old 06-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Pro

KingFry's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerHB52
Here's a question for you guys..

Who do you think are the most underrated and overrated players in Thew Show? Not saying who deserves more OVR or stats, What I mean is who are those players that have for example, 72 OVR but in your franchise they constantly play well.. They play much more than what their stats show. And the opposite for overrated, those guys rated high but always struggle?

Im asking this because in my Cardinals franchise, im in year 3, and I have noticed that there are a few players who hit and have low stats, and doesnt hit but have high stats. The curious part of it is that half of those players plays exactly like that in another franchise I have.

Underrated players I have noticed are:
- SP Tommy Hanson and SP Jason Vargas. They have pretty decent stats but as you know, Jered Weaver and CJ Wilson are the top dogs in rotation, however, both Vargas and Hanson have outpitched by far those two. For the second straight season, they both had 16 W and ERA under 3.10.
- RP/CP Mark Montgomery. Though he has a 97 K/9, he is at 71 OVR. I took the gamble and chose him in the rule 5 draft starting thr second season and made him my closer. He ended up with 55 SV and starting third season his OVR is at 86. He is one of the fastest players in terms of progressing I have seen so far.

Overrated:
- Mike Trout. For some odd reason, he has struggled a lot. Although he has averaged in two seasons 20 HR and 80 RBI's, his AVG doesnt even reach the .240 AVG.

I'll go check other players and post it here as I cannot remember well. Have you seen guys in your franchise like this?
Most underrated guy in all the shows is Pierre. I have played full seasons with him and gotten 40+ SBs and never batted below .300. I honestly find he doesn't make any errors and is rated like 70 in the game, it's a disgrace, the guy is a great speedy outfielder who can play CF, and LF and can hit .300.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
MVP

G3no_11's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFry
Most underrated guy in all the shows is Pierre. I have played full seasons with him and gotten 40+ SBs and never batted below .300. I honestly find he doesn't make any errors and is rated like 70 in the game, it's a disgrace, the guy is a great speedy outfielder who can play CF, and LF and can hit .300.
I'm a huge Juan Pierre fan as well. The reason his OVR is so low is because he has hardly any power at all and the games way of determining OVR is weighted pretty heavily on power.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3no_11
I'm a huge Juan Pierre fan as well. The reason his OVR is so low is because he has hardly any power at all and the games way of determining OVR is weighted pretty heavily on power.
I think this is in general true, but it also depends on the position. It seems that the game tends to think corner outfielders as power positions, and CF as a low-power but high-contact speed combo position. I haven't tries this myself, but if Pierre were rated as a CF for OVR, he would be rated higher I believe.

Yet another reason OVR really doesn't mean anything substantial. It's kinda unfortunate the player transaction AI in the game relies on OVR too much though.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
Rookie

BoomerHB52's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFry
Agreed. He is like what? 36-37? And produces like crazy. I played with him in one quick Marlins chise I made, and he was the leader in AVG, H, SB and DOubles
Old 06-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I think this is in general true, but it also depends on the position. It seems that the game tends to think corner outfielders as power positions, and CF as a low-power but high-contact speed combo position. I haven't tries this myself, but if Pierre were rated as a CF for OVR, he would be rated higher I believe.
Correct!...I'm actually not affraid to change Primary positions on my players, when I was doing a Marlins franchise, I was playing him in CF, and Ruggiano in LF, Finally 2 months in, I Changed Pierre's primary Pos. to CF and his overall when up from 70ovr to 78ovr, did same with Ruggiano, changed his to LF.

Right now in my Astros franchise, I flipped JD to RF and FMart to LF...way better defense now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »