Home

Crazy special teams explosion!

This is a discussion on Crazy special teams explosion! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-29-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Crazy special teams explosion!

I just had the biggest special teams explosion in NCAA '13 that I've ever had in an NCAA game before and for some reason felt the need to share it.

Setup:
It's week 3 of my offline dynasty and we're (#1 Michigan) playing Bowling Green (who is ranked #15 in 2023). They've held us in check all half and completely shut down our offense (we had 80 yards of offense compared to their 186 in the 1st half). They score a FG right before the half to cut the lead to 7-6 with 17s left (there was 17s left because I called a TO after the 3rd down stop so I'd get the ball back).

The explosion:
BG kicks off (with their 95 KPW kicker) to my #2 return man and he returns it 98 yards for a TD with 6s remaining. We go into the half leading 14-7. (Check out the middle of the screen downfield from my returner around the :03s mark to see a BG defender go flying backwards completely across the frame as he got bitch slapped by my FB leading the charge!)

Michigan receives the KO to start the 2nd half. BG wants to have nothing to do with my #2 guy so they boot it to my #1 guy who says "98 yards?!? Pfft! That's nothing" and then returns the kickoff 100 yards for the TD! This is really crazy for me since my team only returned 1 KO for a TD during the entire 14 game 2022 season, yet I've just done it twice back to back (and 3 times in the 1.5 games played so far this season).

As if this wasn't enough, on the ensuing kickoff, the Falcon's returner is blasted and coughs up the ball. It's scooped up and returned for a TD by a FR OLB.

This gives Michigan 21 points in the span of 24 seconds of game time! What's more, this is all from special teams. You can bet my offense and their pitiful 80 yards of production are thanking their lucky stars for the special teams right now!
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Crazy special teams explosion!

this just makes me sad because it reminds me once again that EA has done NOTHING to improve special teams once again. It's as if Special Teams is not a part of football to them when in real life games are decided by blocked FGs and big returns.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:52 AM   #3
Pro

tHurley2010's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
this just makes me sad because it reminds me once again that EA has done NOTHING to improve special teams once again. It's as if Special Teams is not a part of football to them when in real life games are decided by blocked FGs and big returns.
Okay, I'm not disagreeing with you; but games are decided more so by good defense and offensive execution rather than blocked field goals and big returns.

Perhaps the Infinity Engine will help with the poor special teams play.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:08 AM   #4
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHurley2010
Okay, I'm not disagreeing with you; but games are decided more so by good defense and offensive execution rather than blocked field goals and big returns.

Perhaps the Infinity Engine will help with the poor special teams play.
my bad, after I posted it and read it back I had a feeling someone would think I meant all games are decided by those things. What I mean is that Special Teams is a HUGE part of the game. Blocked punts, blocked FGs and momentum shifts. Kick return for TDs, big momentum shift. But the importance of special teams isn't reflective in this game because field goals are rarely blocked, punts are blocked even less, and there is nothing unique like reverses or different special teams play.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
my bad, after I posted it and read it back I had a feeling someone would think I meant all games are decided by those things. What I mean is that Special Teams is a HUGE part of the game. Blocked punts, blocked FGs and momentum shifts. Kick return for TDs, big momentum shift. But the importance of special teams isn't reflective in this game because field goals are rarely blocked, punts are blocked even less, and there is nothing unique like reverses or different special teams play.
i have yet to see a punt get blocked
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2013, 02:21 AM   #6
Rookie

drift7one's Arena

OVR: 2

I just blocked my first punt the other night. dont know it happened, other than me just backing up and running towards LOS and timing the snap absolutely perfect. it was in a punt block call with punter standing right on the goal line, and one of my rushers split the blockers to have a perfect diving block in the endzone.

of course being an EA game, the punter then picked up the ball, broke 3 tackles and gained 7 yards for the first down. yeah. that happened.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:35 AM   #7
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift7one
I just blocked my first punt the other night. dont know it happened, other than me just backing up and running towards LOS and timing the snap absolutely perfect. it was in a punt block call with punter standing right on the goal line, and one of my rushers split the blockers to have a perfect diving block in the endzone.

of course being an EA game, the punter then picked up the ball, broke 3 tackles and gained 7 yards for the first down. yeah. that happened.
haha that last line had me laughing because it's so true
Old 05-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
MVP

speedy43's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProXenT
i have yet to see a punt get blocked
The only time I have seen it this gen is when the ball is on their own <5yrd line, forcing the punter to be closer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »