Home

Timing hitting?

This is a discussion on Timing hitting? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?
Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Timing hitting?

What kind of results are people getting with timing hitting? Does it work better this year than in years past or is it the same as in years past?

I'm getting a bit tired of zone so I figured maybe timing would bring more variety to games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
MVP

G3no_11's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Timing hitting?

I've always been a timing hitting guy, but this year it seems like the PCI is totally random. I'll have a fastball catching a good part of the plate, time it "good", and my PCI will be in a totally random spot. Like if it's up and away, my PCI will be low and in.

Not really sure what is causing that at all. I would understand it happening every so often, but it seems to happen quite frequently.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3no_11
I've always been a timing hitting guy, but this year it seems like the PCI is totally random. I'll have a fastball catching a good part of the plate, time it "good", and my PCI will be in a totally random spot. Like if it's up and away, my PCI will be low and in.

Not really sure what is causing that at all. I would understand it happening every so often, but it seems to happen quite frequently.
That sounds quite frustrating. Now because of that does it ruin the mode or just make games more random and challenging?
Old 05-25-2013, 01:30 AM   #4
Rookie

crizolli's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlingBling19
That sounds quite frustrating. Now because of that does it ruin the mode or just make games more random and challenging?
I tried with Timing and had the same experience. And it didn't feel challenging at all. Felt cheap and unrewarding.

It's VERY frustration to hit with Good timing and then having the ball pop 1 feet in front of you because the PCI was completely in the wrong place.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:38 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Agree with what's been posted already. I use timing because as an old guy I like the simple interface of pushing a button, but man, is it frustrating. I play RTTS at Veteran difficulty (so at the MLB level it is actually all-star), and I feel like my hot and cold streaks are largely determined by the program, not my input. Yes, I still have to time it correctly and ideally swing only at pitches that are in a good spot, but even when I do that, the PCI is frequently in the wrong spot and I make poor contact. No real reward there. And this is with a Vision rating of 90, contact in the mid-80's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
MVP

G3no_11's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffin
Agree with what's been posted already. I use timing because as an old guy I like the simple interface of pushing a button, but man, is it frustrating. I play RTTS at Veteran difficulty (so at the MLB level it is actually all-star), and I feel like my hot and cold streaks are largely determined by the program, not my input. Yes, I still have to time it correctly and ideally swing only at pitches that are in a good spot, but even when I do that, the PCI is frequently in the wrong spot and I make poor contact. No real reward there. And this is with a Vision rating of 90, contact in the mid-80's.
I'm kind of glad that I'm not the only one experiencing this. I also have been playing RTTS and my Vision is right around 90 (89 I think) and my Contact ratings are lower 90's against lefties and mid 80's against righties and I still have this problem. I figured once my vision and contact got higher I wouldn't have as much of a problem but it's still very frequent.

I have been tooling around with the sliders and it seems to help if you raise the "timing" slider a notch or 2 and lower "pitch speed" a notch or 2. This could just be coincidence though.

But like what has been said... it feels a little cheap and frustrating. When you are going against a pitcher that's been painting the corners most of the game and you finally get that good pitch to hit, time it right, and completely whiff... talk about making a grown man ticked off at a video game lol.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Rookie

rdsxfn85's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3no_11

I honestly believe that this year was an attempt to get players to move away from timing hitting to zone hitting. I had to because I was missing too many opportunities to crush pitches. No matter how high I had the contact and timing sliders. It did not matter because if the PCI indicator was in the wrong place I would miss out on it. Much different from last year.

Last edited by rdsxfn85; 05-25-2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 05-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
Rookie

rdsxfn85's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffin
Unfortunately, I would recommend moving from Timing to Zone Hitting and taking some work with Batting Practice to work on recognizing location. You may have to mess with Pitch Speed, Contact and Timing (try to leave this alone unless you need it) Sliders. I finally am hitting more of the pitches I should. I just move the PCI to a location that is easier to move it and then either move it or wait for a pitch in a certain location.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »