Home

My take on RTTS and not being called up

This is a discussion on My take on RTTS and not being called up within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
2022 Clark Cup Champions!

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

OVR: 20
My take on RTTS and not being called up

I have noticed a lot of people stating that they are not getting called up and using their current ovr and stats as a crutch.

That logic needs IMO to be thrown out the window. From the experiences I have had with this game so far, and what I have done in my eyes sheds a little light on the situation, I am hoping all of you see it the same way I do.

In my franchise, I traded for a pitcher that was an A potential, 20 years old and an ovr of 84. Naturally I put him in my starting rotation at the MLB level and he was demolished going 0-4 and an era above 4. Now looking over his atts, I noticed his BB and hits atts were low and it was causing him to get pounded and he walked a lot, obviously. Now, the question is would you keep him in the rotation or send him down?

Example 2 is a CF I drafted and he had AMAZING base running skills, and fielding skills but couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. His L/R contact was in the 50's, and his vision and discipline was in the 30's. With all of that, his ovr was in the high 70's due to his other atts being in the 80-90's. I left him in AAA for 4 years and each year he tore the ball hitting for over .300 each year. regardless of what he did, I waited and it paid off. I was able to trade my then starting CF for prospects and have him lead off

Now, take that same logic and apply it to the RTTS. YES, you may have outstanding stats, but take a look at your atts and ask yourself this, if I was in a franchise and had this player would I risk an option and call him up? OR would I rather let him build up his atts a little more before the call up?

I am a firm believer and many will disagree, but I feel that for every position there is a preset number for atts that is coded into the game before each call up. Now, this is overridden due to the fact of trades or injuries just like in real life. Players that are not ready all called up all the time and some propser and some get sent back down to get better.

Just because you have an 85 ovr player doesn't mean you deserve a call up. Look at your atts and ask yourself would I call him up? Don't look at the numbers, and that's because everyone knows people can flourish in AAA and crash in the majors.

Put yourself in the MANAGERS shoes!
MLB - Toronto Blue Jays 56-45
NHL - Colorado Avalanche 2022 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS
United States Hockey League - Sioux City Musketeers
2022 Clark Cup Champions
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Rookie

BoomerHB52's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: My take on RTTS and not being called up

Great post and I agree completely. That happened to me. In my first year, I gained a lot in contact and power (started in the 40's. In September they were reaching the 70's) I was called up in september to the Majors but the following season I got send down to AAA for the majority of the season. Why? Well, basically all my others atts were very low. Especially Vision, Discipline and Clutch. They were all in the 30's. That second season (year 2014) in AAA really helped me to increase the stats in those categories. The following year I was already a starter in MLB and even though my stats were a little bit to low, I managed to climb up and now I'm the best player to have ever step in the field

Basically, even if you have contact in 150, but your others key attributes like vision, discipline and clutch are way too low, it's going to take time to get you called up.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
MVP

G3no_11's Arena

OVR: 9

You might be right about a pre-set number for certain attributes, however my RTTS experience is the total opposite. I have been getting called up to the majors way to early.. as a 73 OVR 2nd Baseman, with 2 80 OVR 2nd Baseman ahead of me and in the majors as well. This is even with average-below average stats and not always passing my goals.

That is why I think there is a pre-set number on some attributes. That would be the reason for me always getting called up too soon. Perhaps I just tend to work on the attributes that the game is programmed to look at when calling players up.

Maybe we can get a developer to comment on what really causes a team to call you up.. I would assume it's a top secret formula though..............
Old 05-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #4

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerHB52
Great post and I agree completely. That happened to me. In my first year, I gained a lot in contact and power (started in the 40's. In September they were reaching the 70's) I was called up in september to the Majors but the following season I got send down to AAA for the majority of the season. Why? Well, basically all my others atts were very low. Especially Vision, Discipline and Clutch. They were all in the 30's. That second season (year 2014) in AAA really helped me to increase the stats in those categories. The following year I was already a starter in MLB and even though my stats were a little bit to low, I managed to climb up and now I'm the best player to have ever step in the field

Basically, even if you have contact in 150, but your others key attributes like vision, discipline and clutch are way too low, it's going to take time to get you called up.
EXACTLY! I wish I could have worded it that well, but I have mild OCD and I have to explain everything with an example!

I too thought stats were everything, because in real life they are. But in real life, they also don't get atts in number form to see what needs to be improved. That's in benefit for us wither we are the manager or RTTS player to evaluate and fix just like a scout would in real life.
2022 Clark Cup Champions
Old 05-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #5

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3no_11
You might be right about a pre-set number for certain attributes, however my RTTS experience is the total opposite. I have been getting called up to the majors way to early.. as a 73 OVR 2nd Baseman, with 2 80 OVR 2nd Baseman ahead of me and in the majors as well. This is even with average-below average stats and not always passing my goals.

That is why I think there is a pre-set number on some attributes. That would be the reason for me always getting called up too soon. Perhaps I just tend to work on the attributes that the game is programmed to look at when calling players up.

Maybe we can get a developer to comment on what really causes a team to call you up.. I would assume it's a top secret formula though..............
Who did they send down in order to call you up? Because if that player wasn't really any good, its my guess you were the best option to call up at that time and your stats/atts/position had very little to do with it. IMO it may have been a desperation move, but a benefit for you

I have had in instance where I had a SP in my RTTS spend 4 months in AA and 2 WEEKS in AAA and get called up because of a trade that didn't net a decent starter in return. I was the best possible option I suppose. But during the offseason I got sent back down once a decent SP was signed.
2022 Clark Cup Champions
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
MVP

G3no_11's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbraun
Who did they send down in order to call you up? Because if that player wasn't really any good, its my guess you were the best option to call up at that time and your stats/atts/position had very little to do with it. IMO it may have been a desperation move, but a benefit for you
Well it wasn't necessarily a call-up, but after the season I was invited to spring training and even after simming preseason a few times, I always made the big league roster on the bench.

However, I went back to a previous file and simmed the season but keeping my overall right where it was and when I entered the offseason as a 71 OVR instead of a 73, I didn't get the invite to spring training.

I know there are other factors, such as free agent signings and other player progression but that is why I think there is a set attribute/rating number that decides when you get the invite to spring training.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Rookie

Frank is the Tank's Arena

OVR: 6

Completely agree with you Geno, my only problem is hitting over .500 with 30 HRs in AA in Mid-June hasn't got me called up yet... I mean they have guys in AAA hitting barely half what im hitting avg/HR wise. If this came out negatively I will apologize for it.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
MVP

Bluejaysfan65's Arena

OVR: 44

Completely agree. People should read this post before they start posting/complaining on how they're not getting called up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »