Home

How do you play an entire game?

This is a discussion on How do you play an entire game? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
Rookie

deckofcards77's Arena

OVR: 1
How do you play an entire game?

What I mean is, how do you stay focused during a game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
Rookie

deckofcards77's Arena

Re: How do you play an entire game?

Or how do you stay inspired and not get bored?

Like when sometimes things in the game are going too good or too bad, like its unrealistic. How do you fight the urge to quit?
Old 05-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 3

I personally had way too many perfect seasons on default sliders so I would recommend you looking into a set. If you seek realistic stats, try mine out. But You have to take it one play at a time and try to understand why things are going right or wrong. I play 2 or 3 games straight sometimes, but Im a disabled vet who doesnt work. So Ive learned to take it play by play, possession by possession, etc.

If you're running into the teeth of a defense and fumbling or throwing too many interceptions, what are you running on offense? Who was on the field at the moment and do they actually know the play or are they a backup because you just had an injury?

Try to make sure you are picking plays that beat their base defense. They're either a man cover 2 cover 3 or cover 4 team, that and they either blitz a lot or balanced or a little, this is what should be dictating the kind of offense you're running.

Vice versa, if they're the packers running their cover 4, throw some pitches and swings. If they're a man coverage team, make a outside or pitch play where you motion the wr on the side you're pitching to the opposite side, leaving wide open field. If you're versing a cover 2, do the opposite, move the guy on the opposite side from where you are pitching, to the side you're pitching to get an extra blocker.

But I follow my house rules and use my sliders, and every game is entertaining. The only blowouts I have are when I verse a team that just got a new head coach(in preseason or early in the regular season). Every other game is usually tight and enjoyable when I stick to those rules as much as possible...

Last edited by algoody421; 05-05-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
Rookie

deckofcards77's Arena

Ok thanks! Do you play 15 minute quarters? It takes forever.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
Banned

Its faster than lowering the time as the auto clock run off turns off if you lower the minutes. RUN THE BALL AT LEAST 30 TIMES A GAME. That will cut 10 mins at least off your playing time.

At the end of the play, dont button mash, let them do their celbration(runs more time off). Play ball control, run the clock, dont hike the huddle till 20 seconds or less(if the game clock is still ticking), gives you time to look through the plays and pick one you really like for the situation you're in.

When on defense, if the clock is running at the end of the play, you dont pick your defensive play until it stops running game clock(usually 32 seconds left, jumps to 11). This stuff also helps keeping stats more realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #6
Banned

Just updated my sliders based over 40 seasons of research (32 simming updating the duntov coach profile excel and 8+ playing). This details most of the house rules I find essential to keeping the game realistic and enjoyably difficult.

If you try to stick to these house rules WITHIN REASON you will have the most realistic season of head coach you've ever played. Sometimes you gotta get momentum on your side or a big play, but stay true to them and you will have wars... You cant just use mastered plays all game every play... Thats how you end up winning every game by 30 points+, thats what gets boring....
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2044985872
Old 05-18-2013, 01:36 AM   #7
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

OVR: 6

I dunno, I never sim games. To me it takes half the game away. I won't get into it 'cause I know there's a lot of people on here who like to sim the games. But you do miss a lot, plus you miss out on the "always fun" defining moments. I can't listen to the audio anymore, haven't for years - I just turn on the tunes and away I go. I get a lot enjoyment calling a play, or having the OC/DC call a play and see my guys make it work. Sure, there's a lot of ultra-frustrating moments, but that's part of the game. It was just a few weeks ago I finally got my first punt return for a touchdown since the game came out. I'd hate to have missed that. I guess after playing for so many years, my "rage-quit" impulse is gone a few seconds after it occurs. Only options are to deal with the good and bad, or not play.. and I can't not play! LOL!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 9

In the beginning, it may be annoying if you're playing with a bad team but just think of it as growing pain. You will soon have a better team and be competitive once players and staff (especially your own coach) begin to develop.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »