Home

Waiting to Blast Off: The Houston Astros

This is a discussion on Waiting to Blast Off: The Houston Astros within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Waiting to Blast Off: The Houston Astros

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
It's difficult to compete for fan attention in Texas, especially Houston, because there are solid pro teams. In Houston alone, the Rockets stole everyone's thunder (pun intended) by snatching James Harden from OKC, and the Texans have been steadily ascending toward the top of the AFC with fan favorites Arian Foster, J.J. Watt, Brian Cushing, Matt Schaub, and Andre Johnson. In addition to solid pro franchises already in Houston, there is competition for a Texas fan's attention from the Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Mavericks, Texas Rangers, and San Antonio Spurs. The Cowboys already are an iconic team and the state of Texas is heavily invested into football. On top of that, basketball has been steadily gaining popularity with the Mavs/Spurs/Rockets all legitimate playoff caliber teams. If that wasn't enough, the Texas Rangers have stolen the show in Texas coming off of 3 straight playoff appearances, and appearances in the World Series in 2 of those 3 years. Needless to say, after back-to-back 100+ loss seasons, and with the U.S. economy still stuck in neutral for many families, the Houston Astros don't have much time to get it together to maintain their relevance and viability as a franchise.

So what's it gonna take to make HOU a darling 'chise in MLB again? Well for starters, coming off back-to-back 100+ loss seasons, Astros GM Jeff Luhnow was shockingly canned. The industry consensus was that Jesus H. Christ himself couldn't have made the Astros a winner in those seasons, but with the league change, the new logo/unis, the new ownership group, and the natives becoming restless, a change had to be made. The old thinking about prospect accumulation and being terrible in the majors over a 7-10 year period is outmoded, and the fear is HOU fans won't be around to see that through.

With all of this in mind, Astros owner Jim Crane struck a masterful blow to the predicament facing the team. He hired legendary pitcher Nolan Ryan as the new Astros GM. Not only does this add a jolt into Houston's fan base (a former legend with excellent executive credentials), but it adds a black eye to the Texas Rangers organization and a heated AL West rivalry is expected in the future. Crain also trusts Nolan Ryan's baseball judgment implicitly.

While Nolan Ryan enjoyed his role as CEO on a juggernaut Texas Rangers team, recent turmoil in the organization had him considering his options. With Rangers GM Jon Daniels promoted to Team President, Texas seemingly hemorraging one star player to free agency every year (Lee, Wilson, Hamilton), key guys like Michael Young not being treated with cordiality, and the Rangers backsliding a bit, Ryan felt uneasy. He also wanted more control over day-to-day operations to instill a winning team and winning culture into the franchise. After being refused more control in Arlington, Jim Crane approached him with an offer he could not refuse: a lifetime contract with the highest AAV for any GM/Team President in baseball, a 10% stake in the team, and full control over ALL player decisions. Ryan could also choose his assistants from a pool of former Astros players, keeping it "all in the family."

Accepting Crane's "godfather offer," Ryan divested his ownership stake in the Rangers and felt his pulse quicken with the excitement of another challenge, something that was the management equivalent of striking out 5,000+ batters or 7 no hitters in his playing days. He wants to make the Astros the preeminent team, in any sport, in Texas and bring their 1st World Series title to Houston.

At a introductory news conference that stunned the industry more than Luhnow's firing, Nolan Ryan hearkened back to his Advil days and said he felt he could "go another nine innings." Metaphorically, of course. Ryan also said though he loved his time in Arlington both as a player and executive, he never could shake himself of the "what could have been" in Houston. Not only was he a boy growing up in the greater Houston area (Alvin, TX), but he had played on several solid Astros teams in the 1980s. And while he doesn't miss those unis, he told reporters that he still thinks about being so close to breaking through in 1980, 1981, and 1986 losing to the eventual champion Mets in '86. Despite Ryan's HoF career and dizzying array of accomplishments, nothing would please him more than bringing a 1st 'ship to his hometown team that he got so close with as a player, but came up just short....

Insider sources are expecting Nolan Ryan to comb through the roster completely in the coming days, and attempt to balance competing THIS YEAR with building it up for the long haul ahead. Most fans are optimistic but skeptical that Nolan Ryan can seriously say "competing this year" and "Astros" together. Will hold off on judgment to see what moves are made and how the team gets out to a start.

Results By Season

2013: 82-80, 3rd Place AL West. Missed Playoffs. (Thread Pages 1-17)
2014: 94-68, AL West Division Champ. Lost 3-1 to Boston in ALDS. (Thread Pages 17-62)
2015: In Progress (Thread Pages 63- )
2016: TBA
2017: TBA
2018: TBA

World Series Results

Spoiler

New MLB Records Achieved By Astros

Spoiler

New Astros Franchise Records (Individual)

Spoiler

New Astros Franchise Records (Team)

Spoiler

Season Awards and Accomplishments

Spoiler

All Star Appearances

Spoiler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Astros Banner 2.jpg (100.3 KB, 1574 views)

Last edited by WaitTilNextYear; 08-06-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Preseason Wheelings and Dealings

With new GM Nolan Ryan at the helm, the organization took a fresh look at the roster in an attempt to improve immediately. Some of the areas in which Ryan saw an immediate need to change included:

1) the outfield is very much a weakness, with several players in ill-defined roles

2) having the only lefty starting pitcher on the team as Erik Bedard needed to change quickly. With sluggers like Josh Reddick and Josh Hamilton in the division, the need to change the look with another lefty starter was a big need

3) not really sold on Matt Dominguez at the hot corner, and from Nolan Ryan's time with Texas, he had some ideas about how to fix that....

After speaking with GM Dave Dombrowski of the Detroit Tigers, GM Ryan saw that Dombrowski was intent on adding another reliever to the pen, but without parting with Avisail Garcia, Nick Castellanos, or Bruce Rondon. Many proposed deals had fallen through at the insistence of including those players. So, after an hour on the phone mostly talking about kids and grandkids, the Tigers and Astros came to agreement on the 1st trade of Spring Training 2013...

Detroit receives: RP Jose Veras, IF Marwin Gonzalez
Houston receives: P Casey Crosby, P Adam Wilk

...allowing Detroit to shore up their pen and IF for another run at the Pennant.

After speaking to Dombrowski, Ryan phoned GM Kevin Towers of the D'Backs and offered the following:

Snakes receive: LHRP Wesley Wright, 3B Matt Dominguez, OF J.D. Martinez
Houston receives: OF Gerardo Parra, SP Patrick Corbin

Towers accepted mainly because he likes both Adam Eaton and A.J. Pollock more than Parra, and Corbin he viewed as expendable. Towers also liked the idea of having a possible long term solution at 3B in Dominguez, after Eric Chavez is gone. Towers also views Prado's eventual position as LF.

Doing business with your former organization is never easy. However, ironically, Nolan Ryan remembered how he and GM Jon Daniels used to clash over the future of 3B Mike Olt, with Daniels wanting to deal him for any and every trade target. However, Nolan was higher on Olt, and preferred not to deal him unless a top 5 player were coming back in a deal.

After GM Jon Daniels finished laughing about how, in his view, Nolan Ryan wore the rose-colored glasses about Mike Olt, they struck a deal.

Texas receives: SP Bud Norris, OF Justin Maxwell, OF Fernando Martinez, LHRP Dallas Keuchel
Houston receives: 3B Mike Olt, RP Kyle McClellan

Daniels had a need for a SP with strikeout stuff and also liked the OF depth as a cheaper alternative to David Murphy and as a fallback for if Nelson Cruz gets popped again.

After some haggling with GM "Jack Z" of the M's, both sides were satisfied..

Seattle receives: OF/2B Jimmy Paredes and OF Rick Ankiel
Houston receives: RP D.J. Mitchell, SS Brendan Ryan

Finally, after a minor deal with the Indians...

Cleveland receives: OF Che-Hsuan Lin
Houston receives: OF Thomas Neal

GM Nolan Ryan felt very positive about the shape the team was taking entering Spring Training....

Last edited by WaitTilNextYear; 05-04-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

2013 Preseason Depth Chart

Houston Astros Depth Chart - 2013
  • Catcher
  • Jason Castro
  • Carlos Corporan
  • First Base
  • Carlos Pena
  • Brett Wallace
  • Chris Carter
  • Second Base
  • Jose Altuve
  • Ronny Cedeno
  • Chone Figgins
  • Third Base
  • Mike Olt
  • Chone Figgins
  • Shortstop
  • Brendan Ryan
  • Ronny Cedeno
  • Left Field
  • Chris Carter
  • Brandon Barnes
  • Center Field
  • Gerardo Parra
  • Brandon Barnes
  • Right Field
  • Thomas Neal
  • Ryan Wheeler
  • Starting Pitcher
  • Lucas Harrell
  • Patrick Corbin
  • Erik Bedard
  • Phillip Humber
  • Adam Wilk
  • Relief Pitcher
  • Rhiner Cruz
  • Jose Valdez
  • Xavier Cedeno
  • Hector Ambriz
  • Sergio Escalona
  • D.J. Mitchell
  • Closer
  • Kyle McClellan
  • Designated Hitter
  • Brett Wallace
  • Chris Carter

Last edited by WaitTilNextYear; 04-27-2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: added banner
Old 04-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
All Star

turty11's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Waiting to Blast Off: The Houston Astros

i really like that mike olt pick up
Old 04-23-2013, 03:30 AM   #5
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Spring Training Roundup-Pitching

After going 10-20 in March, the Houston and national media are already taking aim at GM Nolan Ryan for perhaps biting off more than he could chew. Fan blogs sporting the following images to tank the season are sweeping Astros nation:

Although many of the new acquisitions are finding their niche, some of the same problems are still glaring in Houston.

Pitching Depth

Ask any baseball person and they'll tell you good teams always start with good pitching. And the Astros got anything but good pitching on the Spring after getting pounded by the Cardinals, Yankees, and the Blue Jays several times among others.

One of the most disconcerting aspects was the apparent lack of progress of Houston's core of young starters. Jordan Lyles, Casey Crosby, Alex White, and John Ely were in open competition for the 5th rotation spot, but both Lyles and Crosby were consistently awful, and White and Ely were consistently inconsistent. Surprising to no one who paid attention to Spring Training, all will start in AAA Oklahoma City.

Adam Wilk appeared out of nowhere recently to claim the 5th starting spot. Wilk, a young LHP recently acquired from Detroit was a long shot to say the least, even on a team such as the Astros.

Quote:
Adam Wilk: What can I say? One week I'm a forgotten man in a top-heavy Detroit minor league system, and a couple weeks later I'm on the opening day roster of the Astros. I'm honored and thrilled to be here. But I'm not surprised. I have a lot of faith in my ability and although some say my velocity can be beat by pitching underhanded, I just go out and try to do my job to help the team win.
Wilk is not kidding either...

Quote:
Keith Law: Adam Wilk? Definitely SSS. My job is to discuss prospects, not guys who never were. Wilk might be able to post a 4 ERA on a beer league, slow pitch softball team, though it just seems like he pitches underhanded. Next question.
Quote:
Jonthan Mayo: Adam Wilk? Do you mean Adam Warren? Adam Wilk, is he a pitcher? Not really too familiar with him actually.
Quote:
Marc Hulet: Well pitchers have pitched whole seasons with 7+ ERA in the past, so I think Adam Wilk is safe in the rotation for now.
Though Wilk sits at only 85-87 mph with his 4-seam fastball, it's really his 5-pitch mix that allowed him to keep hitters at bay in the Spring according to Astros pitching coach Doug Brocail...

Quote:
Doug Brocail: I have a lot of respect for great pitchers who've pitched in this league for a long time without excellent stuff. I remember going against Maddux and Glavine when they were in Atlanta, and who would say they belonged in a beer league? Those guys couldn't touch 90 mph, but they'll be easily elected into the Hall of Fame next year. Wilk reminds me a little of a young Glavine...the command, the 2-seamer, the cutter, a sometimes curveball, and a nice change. If Adam's hitting his spots, he can have success in this league, and he's shown that this Spring.
And while there is some uncertainty in the rotation, the bullpen has been solid all Spring, which is surprising given the lack of proven arms.

Quote:
Kyle McClellan: You know, we relish it. Nobody expects anything from us, but what people fail to realize is we belong in the majors too. I've been pitching for a long time in this league and I can say there isn't much that separates a top closer from a middle reliever. Just a tick or two off the old heater can mean the end of a career. Having your finger placement just a bit off from where you usually have it can mean the difference between an out pitch and a meatball. I've been in long relief and middle relief mostly, but Bo [Astros manager Bo Porter], Doug, and Nolan believe that I have what it takes to close. And I agree with them.

You know we're the farthest thing from the Nasty Boys of the early '90s. We're more like the Nobodies. In fact, D.J. [reliever D.J. Mitchell] and I were joking they might as well take our names off the back of our jerseys...it's not like anyone's gonna notice.
How the pitching comes together.....or doesn't should be interesting to watch this season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2013, 04:08 AM   #6
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Spring Training Roundup-Batting

After having the worst offense in the major leagues in 2012, Astros manager Bo Porter realizes the difficult task ahead.

Quote:
Bo Porter: I think from my time as a third base coach with Florida and Washington and from my bench coach days in Arizona, I've worked a lot with upwardly mobile organizations. And one constant with these clubs was we had some real young teams. That should serve me well as manager in Houston because I know how to get the most out of those guys who are hungry to get to the top in this league. We've been very successful.

At the same time, I was also a struggling minor leaguer who came up with the Cubs in '99, so I know a lot about grinding it out and not letting the stigma of playing for terrible teams or long bus rides in the minors get to you. Now that I said that, I feel that I have to say we're not going to be terrible. Nolan has been clear about this, and I guarantee you we will not lose 100 games this year. Even bringing in new talent, we owe it to the fans to play watchable baseball. And that's exactly what we're going to do. That's a promise.

To do this, our offense has to be a lot better than last year. With the moves we've made and progress by some of our youngsters, I feel this is the reality. Mike [3B Mike Olt] and Brett [DH Brett Wallace] have been striking the ball well. We actually have a top of the order this year with Parra [CF Gerardo Parra] and Altuve [2B Jose Altuve] 1-2 in some order. Chris [LF Chris Carter] really brings some thunder from the right side and should take full advantage of the short porch.
Coming out of Spring Training, Porter has settled on the following everyday lineup versus both lefties and righties (* = bats left):

1 - CF - Gerardo Parra*
2 - 2B - Jose Altuve
3 - DH - Brett Wallace*
4 - LF - Chris Carter
5 - 1B - Carlos Pena*
6 - 3B - Mike Olt
7 - C - Jason Castro*
8 - RF - Thomas Neal
9 - SS - Brendan Ryan

Time will tell if this lineup can score runs. Some close to the team aren't exactly convinced. New broadcaster Alan Ashby opined on the lack of a credible threat.

Quote:
Alan Ashby: Well, pitching is more my specialty, but if I'm an opposing pitcher, I'm not exactly pitching around anyone here.
One rival AL GM also seriously questions how Bo Porter could go with Wallace in the 3-hole among other things.

Quote:
Nameless GM: They're going to get eaten alive. In the AL West against that pitching, they're toast. I think they'll hit some homers, but they'll strike out a TON. And what's more, Brett Wallace might be the worst regular 3-hitter ever. Problem is they have about 3 leadoff guys and about 4 5/6-hole hitters. So, they have to make it work, we'll see...

Asked about the harsh comments, Brett Wallace responded...

Quote:
Brett Wallace: OK? Do you want me to cry or something? I've been working hard on my swing with John [hitting coach John Mallee] in the cages and the ball's been jumping, so I'm just hoping that carries over to opening day. Texas has some tough, tough pitchers, so it's all hands on deck against those guys.
Opening day is near, so we can only speculate on how this will turn out...
Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
All Star

turty11's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Waiting to Blast Off: The Houston Astros

watch brett wallace blast 27 homers.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

We Have a Problem...

Texas Rangers at Houston Astros
Apr 2, 2013123456789RHE
Texas (1-0)40030103112130
Houston (0-1)000000000032
W: Alexi Ogando L: Lucas Harrell

Apr 3, 2013123456789RHE
Texas (2-0)000200010390
Houston (0-2)000001000141
W: Yu Darvish L: Patrick Corbin

Apr 4, 2013123456789RHE
Texas (3-0)11030502012161
Houston (0-3)000010000160
W: Matt Harrison L: Erik Bedard

The Texas Rangers were too much to handle for Houston, sweeping all three games with a combined score of 27-2.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »