Home

Which NHL game is the MOST REALISTIC?..NHL 8, 9,10,11,12, or 13??

This is a discussion on Which NHL game is the MOST REALISTIC?..NHL 8, 9,10,11,12, or 13?? within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
Which NHL game is the MOST REALISTIC?..NHL 8, 9,10,11,12, or 13??

Just curious, since 2K canceled the series, I've been jonesing for a realistic representation of NHL hockey that had the most diveresity and variety among teams and different players....I know EA's game may not accel in this area but what is the most realistic of the games since 08?

I want to start playing the best one of them all and devote my time to a few seasons
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Which NHL game is the MOST REALISTIC?..NHL 8, 9,10,11,12, or 13??

Geez, that's a tough one. If you ask solely on the "realistic" side of the game, I would say that NHL 13 would be on top.

The AI is bad, but you can play with the sliders and strategy to get some kind of a better game. The skating is better with the new engine. You won't see Chara do sharp turns at full speed anymore. The hitting is better too, no more hits that send players everywhere. You have to get good timing to hit, if not, you're toasted. Goalies are also better in covering one-timers from side to side.

NHL 10 would be second in my mind. Battle on the boards (it was use the wrong way online, but offline that was ok) made the game more realistic, post-whistle action (that was so funny) we're you could have hell breaks lose after the whistle felted a bit like NHL, intimidation was just plain making it funny so that you could ran a team out of the building when piling hits, goals and shots, first time too we had the chance to score from our knees.

NHL 09 was the one I had the most fun with since it was the inception of the EASHL. Skill stick was a good innovation, dump and chase, etc. This game was the best sports game that year and there was a reason, it was clearly fun. As far the realism goes on, well, not that much.

So, even if NHL 13 is too much pushed towards online modes and making people spend on DLC, it's still the most realistic one EA as done. Just my two cents.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

Iagree with FBeaule04. It's definitely the best game to play vs. the CPU because it's not as predictable as the other versions. The AI is much better in that area. It used to be that I could predict every time the CPU would pass and shoot. It's not as bad now. There's still AI issues, but 13 is the best. The addition of Build AI is huge for the game though. It allows you to get each team to play somewhat like they would in real life. This helps with making the CPU less predictable as well.

The goalies in 13 stop most of the glitch goals that can be scored in the other versions. Sadly the developers made the goalies stop the glitch goals in unrealistic ways. They basically programmed the goalies to just stop the shot instead of actually coding them to do it in a realistic looking way. It's basically just a band aid. At least the glitch goals aren't as prevalent though.

The only thing I would add to 13 from another version is the offsides logic. Back in 09 or 10 they redid the offsides logic so players were smarter at staying onsides. Yet another move they made to cater to casual and online players. IMO it's an absolutely horrible mistake! You basically never go offsides anymore. I've gone multiple games in a row where I don't go offsides once in a game. It's partly due to the AI being too good in that area, and partly due to the fact that breakouts in this game consist of flinging a pass up to the far blue line and having to wait in the zone for your team to get up the ice.

Overall though no doubt 13 is the most realistic compared to the other versions. I don't call this a realistic game, but that's just me. It has some realistic parts but to me it doesn't show off hockey for what the sport truly is.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

also, do yourself a favor, when you pick up 13, play all your GM Games etc on the True Broadcast View. bc it gives the game a bit of a fresh feel, not the same stale up and down view.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14
X
https://x.com/Fiddy14_

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 04-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

OVR: 3

NHL 13 is near perfect gameplay wise for me and NHL 2k8 if you like 2k
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
also, do yourself a favor, when you pick up 13, play all your GM Games etc on the True Broadcast View. bc it gives the game a bit of a fresh feel, not the same stale up and down view.
I've always wanted to try this, but damn it seems hard to adjust to playing that way. It looks cool I just don't know how people do it.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 04-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

its not that bad. after a few games you will adjust. turn on auto shot aim, that helps big time as well.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14
X
https://x.com/Fiddy14_

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 04-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
Rookie

JayHimself's Arena

OVR: 0

i like this years a lot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »