Home

MLB The Show and Baseball Movies

This is a discussion on MLB The Show and Baseball Movies within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-21-2013, 02:38 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
MLB The Show and Baseball Movies

Hey everyone, as we all know The Show is one of, if not the most, realistic sporting simulation on the market today. Having said that some of the greatest sports movies ever made have been baseball movies. As I play through a full season with the Red Sox it's funny to me how certain baseball movie quotes stand out, and even help me succeed in the game...

Bull Durham: "You just got lesson number one: Don't think; it can only hurt the ball club"
-When I am at bat I try to focus my tail off to force the pitcher into A) Throwing a lot of pitches, and B) Making a mistake. It takes a lot of concentration to be able to force the CPU to throw at least 150 pitches per game. So when pitching I use the API. Whatever Salty, a.k.a. "Crash Davis", calls I throw. It allows me to focus primarily on hitting, and while pitching all I have to worry about is hitting my spots. I don't have to worry about what pitch to throw and when/where I have to throw it. I find this extremely helpful.

Major League: "WILD THING!"
-Those of us that have seen Major League remember Charlie Sheen and the wildness of his pitches in that movie. My point here is that if you decide to use the API and your catcher calls for a pitch inside, don't be afraid to throw that pitch! Worst case scenario you hit a batter and put him on first base. The best case is that you just backed him off the plate for the at-bat, maybe the rest of the game, and you have set him up for pitches low and away.

Moneyball: "Everyone wants to attack. Quit trying to attack. Let the game come to you. There's no clock on this thing. This is a war of attrition."
-This is my mentality now at the plate. I used to go up there and swing at every first pitch trying to hit a homerun and I finally realized; Why? One of the beautiful things about baseball is that there is no clock. Take your time at the plate. Take the first pitch of the at-bat 90% of the time. Only swing at that first pitch if it is a fastball down the middle. For that matter take your time throughout EVERY at-bat. Wait for your pitch, be patient.

Bull Durham: "Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
-The point here is that throughout an entire season you are going to get some bad calls, bad breaks, and even have bad games. Just keep at it, don't get frustrated, and keep having fun with The Show!

Anyways I just thought I'd share some of my favorite baseball movie quotes and how they relate to The Show. If anyone has any quotes they would like to share, please do so...
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show and Baseball Movies

Moneyball was a great movie. It was much more about just the game of baseball. And how amazing was it that Oakland won the AL west after the movie came out? It's like the players saw it and got extra motivated by it..
Old 04-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppBt1Igsg-U
Old 04-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 3

Uh.............
Old 04-23-2013, 12:59 AM   #5
Banned

I'm doing an Indians franchise and created Willie Mays Hayes and Rick Vaughn...so yeah I get what you're saying haha
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Rookie

abbysinthe's Arena

Talking Re: MLB The Show and Baseball Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorneydave866
I'm doing an Indians franchise and created Willie Mays Hayes and Rick Vaughn...so yeah I get what you're saying haha
Create the whole gang!

On topic: From "For Love of the Game." (1999)

Billy Chapel in the late innings, throwing a perfect game thus far, and his arm is feeling like a limp noodle..

"The boys are all here for ya, we'll back you up, we'll be there, cause, Billy, we don't stink right now. We're the best team in baseball, right now, right this minute, because of you. You're the reason. We're not gonna screw that up, we're gonna be awesome for you right now. Just throw." ~Gus the Catcher.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
MVP

RangersCruz's Arena

OVR: 10

Doing a Rick Vaughn RTTS probably

But this is one of my favorite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ccUDrB_8jQ
Old 04-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Rookie

stokely10's Arena

Forget about the signs, throw him the heater RICKEY!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »