Home

Wow, Unbelievable Game

This is a discussion on Wow, Unbelievable Game within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 6
Wow, Unbelievable Game

Let me preface this post by saying that this was the 4th game of The Show I've played (EVER), and this is the first baseball video game I've owned since 2003. With that being said, maybe exciting games like this happen all the time and I just don't know it yet, but I was really floored last night, so I wanted to share this story.

I'm still getting the hang of the game, but this was my first game playing on Veteran difficulty, and it was just an Exhibition with random teams - Dodgers (me) versus Rays.

Anyway, the game was relatively uneventful - a total pitchers duel. Both teams were struggling to get much in the way of hits, although it FELT like the CPU pitcher was doing much better than I was, simply because they RARELY THROW BALLS. (Time to adjust sliders? Or maybe I need to slow pitch speed down or adjust the camera? I'm finding it hard to judge pitch type and whether it's too-low or too-high, and swinging at most pitches).

I think it was the 4th inning when the CPU finally scored a run. When I got up to bat, my number 3 hitter got me my first hit, and it was a solo HR to tie the game.

The game remained tied 1-1 until the 9th inning when the CPU got themselves a homer to go up 2-1 in the top of the 9th. My turn to bat - bottom of the 9th. Lead off double. Next hitter flies out to CF, but I tag up and make it to 3rd safely. Next hitter hits a grounder to SS, but it deflects off the SS, and I score to tie the game. I snag a single so now I've got runners on 1st and 2nd. A wild pitch allows me to advance to 3rd and 2nd, but I strike out, ending the inning. At least I tied it up, right?

I think we both wound up with only about 4 hits each after 9 innings.

Anyway, extra innings - no action in 10th. In the 11th inning the CPU is batting and I've got a fresh pitcher and one out with a man on 1st and 3rd. I'm a little nervous, but the CPU hits a grounder in the infield - should be an easy double play, but the throw to first is in the dirt and the first baseman can't catch it. So the inning should have ended, but instead the CPU scores the runner from 3rd. I eventually get the 3rd out, but the CPU is up by a run and it's time for me to bat.

I get another lead off double. Next hitter is up. I'm trying to get a big lead off at 2nd, but I guess I hit L1 at the wrong time, and I accidentally start stealing 3rd. The pitch is now on the way and I quickly hit triangle to pull off a sacrifice bunt. It worked fine, but kinda funny the whole thing was an accident. So now I've got a guy on 3rd, and I eventually tag up on a sacrifice fly and score the tying run.

No action in the 12th. Now it's the 13th. CPU gets no runs, and it's my turn to hit. First batter strikes out. Second hitter gets a single to CF. Next hitter gets a grounder that slips to the RF, and it deflects off the RF, which allows my runner on 2nd to advance to 3rd. So it's one out, man on 1st and 3rd, and my pitcher is up to bat. I steal home and lay down a bunt, and the suicide squeeze (which was probably too easy to pull off) worked! I win 4-3 in 13 innings.

The game was a total nail biter in the extra innings. Throughout the game, every time the CPU scored, I would come back that same inning and tie it up. and Then in extra innings, it was like the players felt more pressure and nerves kicked in. Two bobbles set up situations that resulted directly in runs being scored.

I hope this all made sense and I was able to convey the excitement well enough. Unrelatedly, does it seem to anyone else that the baserunners run kind of fast? It seems like 50% of the time I hit a grounder to the SS, I'm safe at 1st base. Also, is it too easy to bunt? Maybe it's because I'm on Veteran, but I just press triangle and I'm pretty much guaranteed a successful sacrifice bunt.

I will say the CPU made at least one questionable decision. They were in the field, had two outs, and I had a man on first. The intentionally walked my next batter to, according to the announcers (get the force out at third) or something along those lines. This seems like a weird decision to me with 2 outs, especially when the next hitter is my number 3 in the lineup - the one who hit that solo HR int he 4th inning, and wound up being 4 for 6. Anyone else seen weird decisions like that?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Pro

raneman85's Arena

Re: Wow, Unbelievable Game

You can get a realistic feel and the same type of close games if you kick it up to All-Star and adjust the sliders. The AI is significantly better on All-Star. I play 500 and a little below on All-Star which is exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamonkey
I will say the CPU made at least one questionable decision. They were in the field, had two outs, and I had a man on first. The intentionally walked my next batter to, according to the announcers (get the force out at third) or something along those lines. This seems like a weird decision to me with 2 outs, especially when the next hitter is my number 3 in the lineup - the one who hit that solo HR int he 4th inning, and wound up being 4 for 6. Anyone else seen weird decisions like that?
I had to really read between the lines, but I gather you were playing at home...

When you (as in the CPU) are on the road, and someone is already on base, a key to survival is manipulating matchups... that includes intentionally walking guys where necessary. The only run that matters is the first, the game is over instantly. So the most important thing is preventing a hit, even if it means shifting a guy all the way to third base to get to a scrubby hitter (and to open up the force at home, thus taking away most infield hits... obviously you'd only give a runner third with 2 outs).

I agree squeezes are a little too easy to pull off in this game, though I can't place my finger on why that is.

I had a walk off bunt hit a few years ago, also in extra innings. It wasn't with the pitcher though.

I was really scuffling at the plate, and I had a runner at third and Beltran at the plate... 2 outs. But I had already exhausted my best relief pitchers, and my bench was empty. I was also facing a potent team, so I knew that if I didn't win then, I had a good chance of losing the game in the next inning or so.

I was really really struggling at the plate at this time, and I didn't trust myself to get a hit with anyone... so I just sent the runner to steal home, and drag bunted for a hit, to win the game in extra innings.

Last edited by Bobhead; 04-18-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

Use TNK's realism sliders, they're pretty awesome.

- Rick Wise
Old 04-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
MVP

RangersCruz's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunselpower32
You rarely ever draw walks with meter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 9

If you are looking to have the opp pitchers throw more balls you're either going to have to mess with the strike freq slider on venteran or bump to all star. Vet pitching doesn't throw many balls.
GM of the KC Royals in the OS Arbitration Thread
Old 04-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by raneman85
You can get a realistic feel and the same type of close games if you kick it up to All-Star and adjust the sliders. The AI is significantly better on All-Star. I play 500 and a little below on All-Star which is exactly what I'm looking for.
I never thought of that affecting the AI, but that makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will bump up to All-Star next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I had to really read between the lines, but I gather you were playing at home...

When you (as in the CPU) are on the road, and someone is already on base, a key to survival is manipulating matchups... that includes intentionally walking guys where necessary. The only run that matters is the first, the game is over instantly. So the most important thing is preventing a hit, even if it means shifting a guy all the way to third base to get to a scrubby hitter (and to open up the force at home, thus taking away most infield hits... obviously you'd only give a runner third with 2 outs).

I agree squeezes are a little too easy to pull off in this game, though I can't place my finger on why that is.

I had a walk off bunt hit a few years ago, also in extra innings. It wasn't with the pitcher though.

I was really scuffling at the plate, and I had a runner at third and Beltran at the plate... 2 outs. But I had already exhausted my best relief pitchers, and my bench was empty. I was also facing a potent team, so I knew that if I didn't win then, I had a good chance of losing the game in the next inning or so.

I was really really struggling at the plate at this time, and I didn't trust myself to get a hit with anyone... so I just sent the runner to steal home, and drag bunted for a hit, to win the game in extra innings.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was Home, but I should mention that intentional walk was not in extra innings. They put more guys on base, and chose to face a better hitter. That's why it was questionable to me. All with two outs anyway.

Maybe on All-Star it will be less easy to bunt? It seems like you shouldn't be guaranteed contact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunselpower32
I will have to try them for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
You rarely ever draw walks with meter
I'm actually using Classic Pitching. I feel less involved to a degree, but I kind of like it. I wonder if the TNK sliders will work ok if I use Classic pitching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HechticSooner
If you are looking to have the opp pitchers throw more balls you're either going to have to mess with the strike freq slider on venteran or bump to all star. Vet pitching doesn't throw many balls.
That's an interesting point. I'm definitely going to bump up to All-Star next game and see what happens. I played on Veteran again, and lowered CPU Consistency, Strike Frequency, and even Pitch Speed so I could have more time to judge, but they threw an even higher Strike % than before, haha! I think I'm also going to switch the Camera to Catcher Classic 2. It's low, but closer up to the plate so you can (in my estimation) better judge where the ball will cross.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:30 AM   #8
MVP

RangersCruz's Arena

OVR: 10

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...m-sliders.html

These are the best with classic in my opinion

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »