Home

Exam Tips?

This is a discussion on Exam Tips? within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #1

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Exam Tips?

I got one exam this friday, another next friday, then the following week(week of 21st) I got exams monday,tuesday,wednesday,thursday.

Wanna know if people got study tips for me? I suck at tests/exams BIG TIME. Don't know what's wrong, it's always been like that, doesn't matter what class it is, during all the years I've been at school, I've always sucked at tests/exams. I do great on assignments,presentations and stuff, but come test time, it's as if I've never taken this class before.

So wanna know if people have advice on how to study and stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Exam Tips?

Don't study for long periods of time straight. Do it in 5, 10 or 15 minute chunks.

Get rid of possible distractions--cell phone on silent.

For most people, studying in your bedroom is a bad idea.

Review old quizzes or exams, if possible.

I use index cards. Write a question on 1 side and the answer on the other---then use them as flash cards. OR you can write a chunk on info on 1 side and the topic on the other.

Study/Review with a partner.

Use pneumonics to help memorize a series of facts or a list in order. Its usually a silly sentence or phrase you're likely to remember. Ex. Al Sips.... Aluminum Silicon Phosphorus Sulfur

For me, just looking over my old notes wasn't effective.

Good luck.

Last edited by GAMEC0CK2002; 04-10-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #3

Majingir's Arena

What's so wrong with studying for long periods of time?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #4
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
What's so wrong with studying for long periods of time?
Nothing, its the doing it straight. Instead of trying to study 2 hours straight....break it up into 15 minutes sessions. Your brain needs time to digest and put it in long term memory.

You're less likely to remember the material cramming for long periods of time straight.

It's like reading of bunch of pages of text...getting to the end and then wondering "what did i just read" and then have to go back and read in 2 or 3 more times.

Some people are fine with studying (actually studying--not just reading) for long periods of time. For me, after about 30-45 minutes...it all starts to run together. Gotta take a few minutes to let it sink in before moving on to another "chunk".

Last edited by GAMEC0CK2002; 04-10-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #5

Majingir's Arena

Since it's exams that are cumulative and stuff, I'm basically gonna be studying each chapter at a time(and multiple chapters a day, since there's not enough time to only study 1 chapter per day), so how would you go about that?

Study each chapter for 1 hour at a time and take a 10 min break inbetween or something?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2013, 12:48 AM   #6
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
Since it's exams that are cumulative and stuff, I'm basically gonna be studying each chapter at a time(and multiple chapters a day, since there's not enough time to only study 1 chapter per day), so how would you go about that?

Study each chapter for 1 hour at a time and take a 10 min break inbetween or something?
Basically...doesn't have to be a set time break.

You probably won't need to spend as much time on chapters you understand or just went through in class. Those chapters you can probably tackle together if time is limited.

There's no way to re-learn every single detail in every single chapter....not enough time.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:56 AM   #7

Majingir's Arena

This is like online classes and stuff though, so most of semester was just doing assignments online. Now final exam is all about material from textbook/online notes and stuff.

I think me sucking at tests is just cause of how much pressure there is on it.

One test I have to do, you have to pass the test(with at least 60) to pass the course, no matter what your grade going into it is.So you could have 95% in the course so far, but on a final exam worth like 30%, you get a 50 and fail the class....(even though technically your overall average should be 81%(since 95% of 70 + 50% of 30 equals 81.5%)

I seriously can't wait till I'm done school, I don't know how so many people got through it without wanting to go crazy lol.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #8
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

This is time consuming, but this will reassure that you know the material inside and out. Provided that you are given some idea of the construct of the test (mult. choice; T/F; essay; etc.), I'll tell you something that is a very simple technique: make up your own practice test.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »