Home

User Catching is considered cheezing in some leagues?

This is a discussion on User Catching is considered cheezing in some leagues? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
User Catching is considered cheezing in some leagues?

So I was reading another thread on the forums where a poster stated that in his online league users aren't allowed to switch to wideouts or DB's to catch the ball. instead forcing the computer to make or drop the catch.

This brings up an interesting quandry for me personally as I run an online league where this past year we had issues regarding what should and shouldn't be considered cheezing outside of the obvious game exploits(no-huddle offense, certain nano blitzes).

I'd like to hear some opinions on whether or not the user catch should or shouldn't be considered an exploit?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: User Catching is considered cheezing in some leagues?

Not being funny but most anything a User does in Madden can essentially be an exploit because they make the game for User control to trump as much as possible. To the specific question of User catching, yes, it's an exploit. When consider that a User has a bird's eye view of the entire field and is able to puppeteer the receiver with little, if any, regard for momentum, balance, their body position and even some of their in-game ratings, it's easy to see how it's an exploit.

In backhanded defense of Madden though, if you ain't exploiting you ain't trying, lol.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

issue for me with no switch is that there are times the cpu take bad angles to make a tackle or ball smacks wr right in the head especially when they are wide open. what i find amusing tho in these leagues that the controlled player on d doesn't have to honor his play area and can effectively cover entire middle of field with out losing momentum or can change direction on drop of a dime.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Hoos Rising

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

It's a bit of a religious question, so-to-speak, and for minimal conflicts you should find a player group who holds the same view on the issue as you do. That is, if you want to switch onto receivers / DBs on contested passes but your league frowns upon it, find a new league.

I personally have no problem with the user attempting to have an effect on the game's on-field outcome by taking control of his players at any point during the play, be it on offense or defense. I do so regularly when playing defense as I historically have not trusted my safeties in the Madden games to attempt to make plays on deep passes. It's habit to me at this point, and thus I will never play in a no-switch league. I'm okay with this, some people aren't; I avoid conflict by playing with like-minded players.

I'll put it this way: if I didn't want to act as a player on the field, I'd play Head Coach. IMO a video game is meant to be played by the player.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
It's a bit of a religious question, so-to-speak, and for minimal conflicts you should find a player group who holds the same view on the issue as you do. That is, if you want to switch onto receivers / DBs on contested passes but your league frowns upon it, find a new league.

I personally have no problem with the user attempting to have an effect on the game's on-field outcome by taking control of his players at any point during the play, be it on offense or defense. I do so regularly when playing defense as I historically have not trusted my safeties in the Madden games to attempt to make plays on deep passes. It's habit to me at this point, and thus I will never play in a no-switch league. I'm okay with this, some people aren't; I avoid conflict by playing with like-minded players.

I'll put it this way: if I didn't want to act as a player on the field, I'd play Head Coach. IMO a video game is meant to be played by the player.
I couldn't of said it better. I actually don't USER catch as much as I use to but I have no problem with guys who do it. Some of the guys who call it an exploit are usually the ones who aren't too good at doing it and hate seeing guys smash them doing it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 6

This year, imo, the user catch issue mostly lies within the incredible power it has when combined with lead passing. There are so many occasions where certain routes are just insanely good solely due to the ability to lead pass then the ensuing user catch (streaks for example are one of the most basic usages where the combo of lead passing + user catching is just crazy good).

Lead passing to the inside and then cutting off the route will net you an easy catch 9 times out of 10 unless the person is usering the safety from the get go. Depending on the length of the pass + throw power there usually isn't enough time to swap to that safety and undercut the WR on a reliable percentage of the time.

I don't think it's cheesing by any means, but I do understand why a large portion of people take issue with it. Game is already offensively biased and the combo of lead passing + user catching skills skews it even more-so to the offensive side of the ball.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios12787
This year, imo, the user catch issue mostly lies within the incredible power it has when combined with lead passing. There are so many occasions where certain routes are just insanely good solely due to the ability to lead pass then the ensuing user catch (streaks for example are one of the most basic usages where the combo of lead passing + user catching is just crazy good).

Lead passing to the inside and then cutting off the route will net you an easy catch 9 times out of 10 unless the person is usering the safety from the get go. Depending on the length of the pass + throw power there usually isn't enough time to swap to that safety and undercut the WR on a reliable percentage of the time.

I don't think it's cheesing by any means, but I do understand why a large portion of people take issue with it. Game is already offensively biased and the combo of lead passing + user catching skills skews it even more-so to the offensive side of the ball.
Yeah the defense is bad on this game even if you aren't USER catching.. That's really the issue..
Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

I would say it's not, because it's not very difficult to do, so anyone can do it, even ****** players. It does defy realism a bit tho, because as someone said, you have a "God view" of the field that normal players wouldn't have.

NFL: Browns
NBA: Cavaliers
MLB: Indians
NHL: Blue Jackets

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »