Home

Are players being over payed???

This is a discussion on Are players being over payed??? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-01-2013, 04:42 AM   #1
Rookie

ObiJuanKenobi's Arena

OVR: 2
Are players being over payed???

So as the NFL off season rolls on and more and more contracts get inked it brings up a question, are some of them over the top and to much for a particular player?

Three signings that are controversial and pop into people's heads immediately are Tony Romo, Joe Flacco, and Mike Wallace. These men are being paid top dollar for their services, one of which is a record breaking deal. Now it seems like most big contracts end up being a bust and a player cashing in at the right time in their career, and some just make you scratch your head at what management was thinking. So here I will give you my opinion on if I think these signings were a bust or a good deal. Also feel free to leave your opinions on what you think about these signings and any other signings. So lets get started.

Joe Flacco

Six year/$120.6 million
$52 million guaranteed
$29 million signing bonus

This is the biggest contract signed by any player in NFL history. Not surprising it would go to the reigning Super Bowl MVP. The only problem is the Ravens went 10-6 in the regular season and made the playoffs by the skin of their teeth. Top producing quarterbacks like Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady do not get paid near this but are the best players when their teams step on to the field, can you really say that about Flacco? He is mediocre at best and I think a desperation move by the Ravens seeing there is really no talent at qb out there. Personally I do not see Flacco living up to the standards of this contract.

Mike Wallace

5 year/$60 million
$27 million guaranteed
$11 million signing bonus

To me this was the best deal out of the three. Not saying it was good, just the best out of these. The Dolphins desperately needed a wide receiver who could stretch the field and they definitely got that in Mike Wallace with his blazing speed, but $60 million for a man who didn't even break the thousand yard mark seems a little steep. And it's not like he had a slouch throwing him the ball. Obviously this was a needed move and one that only time will really tell if it will work out. If I were the Dolphins though and were that desperate for a deep threat receiver I would have looked to the draft for somebody like Cordarelle Patterson or DeAndre Hopkins.

Tony Romo

6 year/$108 million
$55 million guaranteed
$25 million signing bonus

This to me has to be one of the most over payed players in NFL history. Paying this kind of money to a man who hasn't had a double digit winning season since 2009 and is one of the most inconsistent quarterbacks in the league is just ridiculous. 2009 is also the last time the Cowboys made it to the playoffs. This is one of those times you are just left scratching your head wondering what the heck just happend. As long as Jerry Jones is alive the Cowboys will not win another Super Bowl.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

OVR: 0
Each situation is unique and has to be viewed as such. Not really thread-worthy IMO. This year is no different than any other.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Are players being over payed???

Generally yes, but at least it's not like baseball where money seems to grow on trees. At least in the NFL you can cut guys when they start to become unproductive and save the aggravation that way.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 04-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

In order to really make this argument you'd need multiple players that actually see all of the money in those $100m contracts. The 3 in the OP likely won't prior to restructures (which could lead to circumstances where they are released instead) and if they are worth retaining for the life of the contract then no, they're probably not overpaid.

I could sign a contract at work that doubles my salary every year, at some point I've got to take a pay cut, change the terms of my pay, or get fired. Many NFL contracts force the same kind of decision.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Rookie

dsallupinyaarea's Arena

OVR: 7

Joe Flacco and Tony Romo gave their teams temporary cap relief and the Dolphins aren't in cap trouble.

I guess my question is, why do you care if it isn't in relation to the cap? Why count someone elses money? Trust me when I say these contracts won't threaten the profitability of any of these teams.

twitter - @dsallupinyaarea
psn - dsallupinyaarea8
xbox - dsallupinyoarea
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
The Future

Bmore Irish's Arena

OVR: 20

i mean if you're gonna look at it from a philosophical standpoint then sure, most entertainers are overpaid. but this is consumer capitalism man! lol. we're the ones paying them, essentially.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallupinyaarea
Joe Flacco and Tony Romo gave their teams temporary cap relief and the Dolphins aren't in cap trouble.

I guess my question is, why do you care if it isn't in relation to the cap? Why count someone elses money? Trust me when I say these contracts won't threaten the profitability of any of these teams.
Well, to be fair, the Phins are screwed in 2014 and beyond with their crazy spending this offseason. Take a look at their 2014-2015 cap projections.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
MVP

Shibito's Arena

They've been overpaid for years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »