Home

So what's the point of defense in this game?

This is a discussion on So what's the point of defense in this game? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 11
So what's the point of defense in this game?

Because it's obviously not to stop the offense.

The defense in this game is so atrocious. Unless you are able to force a turnover, defense does not stop the offense. And before anyone discusses my playcalling - I am in a 32 man online CCM, and there isn't a strong defense anywhere in the entire league.

Even when I call the right play, and have defenders in position, they fail to react to the ball in the air and just stand around with their thumbs up their butts as the offense makes a play that shouldn't have been made. The buttons to actually manually defend the pass (Y and LB on X-Box 360) don't work, as even when I press them the defender I'm controlling does nothing. In zone defense, the defenders do not probably defend against receivers that come into their zone. And in man coverage I've watched my DB's literally run away from receivers...

In the running game, I lose control of my players as they are pulled into blitzing the opposite gap than I assigned them to blitz... appropriately enough, the gap that I was pulled away from is the gap that my opponent is running into. When blitzing against the run or for pass rush, even if I have a wide open path, the player that I am controlling gets pulled away from their path to get sucked into a block... Even though the blocker was away from me.

It seems that literally every game I play comes down to who has the ball last, because the defense simply doesn't stop anyone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
MVP

d11king's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: So what's the point of defense in this game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise408
Even when I call the right play, and have defenders in position, they fail to react to the ball in the air and just stand around with their thumbs up their butts as the offense makes a play that shouldn't have been made. The buttons to actually manually defend the pass (Y and LB on X-Box 360) don't work, as even when I press them the defender I'm controlling does nothing. In zone defense, the defenders do not probably defend against receivers that come into their zone. And in man coverage I've watched my DB's literally run away from receivers...
Well firstly, it sounds like you're playing in a league where people can switch to receivers and defensive backs and in my opinion and my opinion only, that's not how the game is supposed to be played. Your DB's probably aren't reacting to the pass because their AWR and PRC ratings are probably low. Can't react to a pass if you don't know what's going on right? For the zone defense, check their zone coverage ratings, along with their AWR and PRC. In the 32 OCCM I'm in, I've gotten all my DB's AWR and PRC to over 87, and they literally react to everything, it really makes a big difference. Granted, you get beat on certain plays, but it's not like that doesn't happen in the NFL.

Quote:
In the running game, I lose control of my players as they are pulled into blitzing the opposite gap than I assigned them to blitz... appropriately enough, the gap that I was pulled away from is the gap that my opponent is running into. When blitzing against the run or for pass rush, even if I have a wide open path, the player that I am controlling gets pulled away from their path to get sucked into a block... Even though the blocker was away from me.
This is the problem with Madden as I've experienced this countless times. A wide open lane to rush through and all of the sudden, I get sucked into some fat guy who didn't even know what was going on. This is generally why I tend to use the FS or SS, to be able to be the last line of defense in this situations.

Quote:
It seems that literally every game I play comes down to who has the ball last, because the defense simply doesn't stop anyone.
I can't speak on your league, but the league I'm in had some very very good defensive minded users, and it's a joy to play in when on 10 minute quarters, the final score is 17-14.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

LOL to answer the question. To get melted like butter and shredded like cheese WITH Cheese !!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Bat
what

Bat's Arena

OVR: 22

Defense would be fine if people online would actually punt on 4th down.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Personnel dictates defense in this game and most people don't invest in the personnel required on defense based on my experience with other users in CCM.

I'm also in a 32 team league and we only have 4-5 teams that consistently play good defense and hold opponents to low scores. I'm one of them and it's because I build from within, invest XP where it fits my scheme, and always get players to fit the scheme I'm trying to run.

Don't get a bunch of 90 SPD, 60 STR, 60 BSH defensive ends and complain about not being able to stop the run. Don't run out 75-85 MCV cornerbacks and complain about getting burned in man to man.

With the right personnel, a defense can be pretty dominant in this game. The only defensive scheme that seems truly useless from my experience is the zone blitz scheme because the only blitzes that truly work with the Pass Blocking and Offsides sliders high enough are nano blitzes and speed rushes from the LE/LOLB spot. Even then, any good defense should have enough blitzes mixed in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat
Defense would be fine if people online would actually punt on 4th down.
I see it in the reverse, people online would actually punt if defense were fine. With the astronomical success rate of 4th down completions on pretty much any defense in the game, the numbers support going for it on 4th in Madden. If there was better adaptive AI in the game, so CPU players were aware of down and distance, the 4th down success rate and consequently people attempting them, would drop significantly, imo.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
Bat
what

Bat's Arena

OVR: 22

[quote=Big FN Deal;2044866447]I see it in the reverse, people online would actually punt if defense were fine. With the astronomical success rate of 4th down completions on pretty much any defense in the game, the numbers support going for it on 4th in Madden. If there was better adaptive AI in the game, so CPU players were aware of down and distance, the 4th down success rate and consequently people attempting them, would drop significantly, imo.[/QUOTE

Good point. I would love ratings to be nerfed on players on 4th down. That might not work but.. better than nothing.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I didn't mean to suggest they nerf ratings to make 4th downs harder but that the AI/player awareness be programmed better to make their in game actions on 4th down more realistic. For example, having the adaptive AI "play the sticks", being aware of where the offense needs to get to for a 1st and the defense just being more aggressive overall in those type situations. Also, when applicable for the road team, have the crowd get rowdy on 4th down and let that have some applicable effect on the offense too.

No nerfing, just implementing real world parameters so 4th downs have more realistic risk/reward.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »