Home

The positive side of player regression

This is a discussion on The positive side of player regression within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Rookie

vegaas's Arena

OVR: 5
The positive side of player regression

I know there has been alot of debate about player regression here and both sides have merit. However; I thought I would post about how regression has added a layer to the game that I haven't had to worry about before.

I simmed my first season (as i always do) and go into the off season.
I play as the Brewers and I knew that I needed to upgrade somehow through free agency. I look at that available free agents and see that Jacoby Ellsbury (sp?) is available. He is 30 and rated high 80's. I feel that he would be great fit for my club. He is looking for 5 years at roughly 10mil per year. Here is where the regression factor kicks in. In past years I would not worry about the number of years, now I have to consider it.

I offer him 3 years at 9mil per year. I am comfortable with that length and amount. As free agency moves on he gets an offer of 6 years at 10mil per year from one club and then an offer of 8 years at 9 per year from another club. Again, in past years I would just top everyones offers and be done with it. Not this year, now I have consider the money and the years because of the regression factor. I end up offering 5 years at 11mil per year and I sign him but I am not comfortable with the impact it may have in years 4 and 5.

I have never had to deal with this before in the Show and it gives you an idea of the quandry GM's face when deciding to sign older free agents to longer big money contracts. Awesome!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
MVP

kmoser's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: The positive side of player regression

That is a very good point. I like regression a little now thanks to you.

Since you got ellsbury for a while you could trade him before he regresses too much in the next few years. You could get some alright prospects for him.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Legend

KHarmo88's Arena

OVR: 55

There's always two sides to everything
Old 03-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 4

It's pretty bad that we have to applaud a video game for finally making it a bad decision to sign an aging, oft-injured speedster to a long-term deal worth big money.

But, if you get stuck with his salary you know you can send him.

Yes, I do agree this is wonderful. I don't think people realize how quickly some people really decline. Guys who are good into their mid-late 30s tend to actually be HOFers.

Last edited by pistolpete; 03-28-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

OVR: 44

I like the regression in general, just not that older top rated players from the stock rosters decline by over 15 points in the first year. Other than that just a bit more randomness and everything is great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Fantastic post.

I really think the issue (I've discussed this in other threads as well to greater detail) is with the stock rosters. The progression/regression system won't allow players to be in the 90's at such an old age. Currently, a guy like Ichiro is in the 90s at age 37 (?) but the regression system likely won't allow that to happen. Essentially, regression is evening out the stock rosters that are rated too high compared to how a lengthy franchise will mold players.

And back on topic, I love the layer it adds. I can easily see myself passing on a long-term contract, or signing someone anyways with the intention of trading them away. The only problem is that the CPU likely can be "used" this way because they don't know what we know.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
Rookie

Threeebs's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
And back on topic, I love the layer it adds. I can easily see myself passing on a long-term contract, or signing someone anyways with the intention of trading them away. The only problem is that the CPU likely can be "used" this way because they don't know what we know.

Yah, that's the only disapointing side of it. In my current franchise the Blue Jays just signed Alex Rios at age 34 to an 8 year contract! He probably won't even be on the major league roster by age 36 lol. In next year's game If they can figure out a way to throw in language where CPU teams understand this as well, we'd be closing in on perfection...
Old 03-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Rookie

vegaas's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58

Yeah, there has to be some house rules to keep from exploiting the CPU. If I trade Ellsbury down the road it will only be to a team in contention that has a need for left handed hitting outfielder and keep the return to a young B prospect.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »