Home

Old 03-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

OVR: 6
Sacrifice

Was playing today and had to go against the Colts. Needless to say they were driving up and down the field, I think Peyton was 20/21 by halftime -anyway - I knew I needed some luck to even stay close. So, we're down to their 10 yard line, down by 2 scores as the 3rd quarter got started. 3rd and short and I try a draw play. My RB (James Stewart) goes in the hole and is shoulderblocked down by Freddie Keaho. 4th right? Nope, the game called Facemask on a dang shoulderblock. First and goal! But I couldn't bring myself to accept the penalty. Just hated the fact that a shoulderblock caused a facemask. Declined the penalty, kicked the FG - and ended up losing.

Point is, how many times have you been in the same boat? Anyone else lose a game, in part, because you couldn't accept a cheap win?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Sacrifice

I don't think the penalties can be taken literally. They don't always correspond to the display and they aren't always possible.

For example, there is no PI behind the line of scrimmage IRL but I've had it called on me in the game. I've had my assistant alert me to a penalty before a pass was thrown and subsequently found the penalty was PI.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

I don't know if some of the penalties called on touchbacks are possible. I know I can't recall seeing holding or clipping on the receiving team on a touchback.

Since I can't decline bogus penalties called against me, I don't decline those called on my opponent.

Just this afternoon, since I first answered your post I had the exact same penalty called, only it was called on my team! I probably wouldn't have notices if not for this discussion!

Last edited by Wheeler Dealer; 03-22-2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Add comment
Old 03-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Sacrifice

Yeah, I see this stuff all the time - but in the years since it came out this might be the first time I just couldn't accept the penalty and it cost me the game. (that and some other things no doubt.)

I usually just take the good with the bad, since, like you said, you can't make the opponent change it's mind on penalties. Of course, sometimes they decline some penalties that are crazy too. All part of the HC09 charm!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »