Home

MLB 13 Manager Only Mode Questions

This is a discussion on MLB 13 Manager Only Mode Questions within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Pro

kcsam's Arena

OVR: 1
MLB 13 Manager Only Mode Questions

I am brand new to the MLB The Show franchise, so I am unsure of a lot of info about the game. I understand there is a Manager Only Mode. What exactly does this consist of? Do you still watch the games and just manage on/off field day to day activities?

Also, how long does it take to play a regular 9 inning game? My fear is that I buy the game and never even make it through an entire season since the games may run long (maybe comparable to a Madden game which lasts around 60 min).

Any info is appreciated. Thank you
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: MLB 13 Manager Only Mode Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsam
I am brand new to the MLB The Show franchise, so I am unsure of a lot of info about the game. I understand there is a Manager Only Mode. What exactly does this consist of? Do you still watch the games and just manage on/off field day to day activities?

Also, how long does it take to play a regular 9 inning game? My fear is that I buy the game and never even make it through an entire season since the games may run long (maybe comparable to a Madden game which lasts around 60 min).

Any info is appreciated. Thank you
kc;

You pick a game on the team schedule and choose MANAGE GAME(it is only available for franchise and season mode(It was inexplicably left out of and I can't believe I missed that they left it out of the new PostSeason mode ))
-You get to make on field decisions such as how your pitcher should pitch(aggressive....pitch around....or you pick a certain zone)
You make the defensive setup for the entire opponent lineup
You choose to hit and run steal etc
You choose pinch hitters/subs/relief pitchers.
Basically everything a manager would have control of.

Two things you don't control....the base running coaches and individual pitches.

You also get to make all the GM moves in franchise mode as well.

There are a few bugs that hopefully get patched. The biggest is that the CPU defensive shifts are shut off right now(probably due to the new defensive setup screen for manage only mode players...carrying over to the CPU.....it's default is NORMAL(no DP setups....bunt....etc....by the CPU)

You can set the timer(for you to make decisions) to NONE now so it's a pretty quick game....should take about an hour...if you skip cutscenes....30-45 minutes.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 03-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
Pro

kcsam's Arena

OVR: 1

All good info, thank you. So you have to manually choose which games you want to manage? There isn't a setting to just "Manage" 1 single team throughout the season in Franchise?
Old 03-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsam
All good info, thank you. So you have to manually choose which games you want to manage? There isn't a setting to just "Manage" 1 single team throughout the season in Franchise?
Yes...when you start a franchise, you get to choose which team you want to control.
You can control just one or all 30(or anything in between).

Note that you can choose all 30 teams and just set a profile with everything set to AUTO for the other 29 teams, and it would be the same as just choosing one(the CPU will handle everything for those other teams)

M.K.
Knight165
Old 03-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Yes...when you start a franchise, you get to choose which team you want to control.
You can control just one or all 30(or anything in between).

Note that you can choose all 30 teams and just set a profile with everything set to AUTO for the other 29 teams, and it would be the same as just choosing one(the CPU will handle everything for those other teams)

M.K.
Knight165
Knight165 Is this why during MOM games i've only seen 1 double play? Ive played about 10 games with MOM mode and not seeing any double plays. Do you know if this will be patched? And if it is will re have to restart our franchise or will the patch to fix this work in our current franchise?

Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 2

Knight165 has already addressed most of the features of MoM mode. One thing he didn't mention that I like is the "Dugout" view which depending on who you ask, people like it or don't like it. But I fall into the "like" category. Of course I am still in Spring Training for my 2013 season so will need to wait to see what it's like in the big league ball parks once we start the regular season. But I like it because you get to watch the action from the dugout just as if you were there at the ball park. When the batter hits to ball, the camera doesn't switch to some other view, you stay in the dugout watching the entire play. It may take some time getting used to it. Sometimes I lose the ball when it is popped up into the outfield and sometimes it is also hard to tell where the pitch was delivered in relation to the strike zone. But the more and more I use this view the more I get used to where the pitch was delivered.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan1221
Knight165 Is this why during MOM games i've only seen 1 double play? Ive played about 10 games with MOM mode and not seeing any double plays. Do you know if this will be patched? And if it is will re have to restart our franchise or will the patch to fix this work in our current franchise?
I've played 21 MoM games since picking up MLB 13 and I have seen more than one double play. However I don't see as many as I would think I should see and this default defensive line could very well be why. Not sure, I don't know the statistical double play averages in the real world. In summary, the double plays are there. They just may be lower than normal due to the default defenses.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
I've played 21 MoM games since picking up MLB 13 and I have seen more than one double play. However I don't see as many as I would think I should see and this default defensive line could very well be why. Not sure, I don't know the statistical double play averages in the real world. In summary, the double plays are there. They just may be lower than normal due to the default defenses.
They're are very low. Like I said, i'm 10 games into my franchise and just saw the first double play. Hopefully this can be patched and we won't have to restart or current franchises

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »