Home

Dev Journal: All or Nothing Guess Pitch in MLB 13 The Show

This is a discussion on Dev Journal: All or Nothing Guess Pitch in MLB 13 The Show within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50
Dev Journal: All or Nothing Guess Pitch in MLB 13 The Show

The default Guess Pitch option is new in MLB 13. For many years now, Guess Pitch has been the topic of many heated discussions on forums and in the studio. The most common complaints were that Guess Pitch was unrealistic, potentially exploitative, and especially frustrating in Multiplayer games because it makes you approach at-bats very differently than you would if Guess Pitch was not a factor. On the flipside, many users really like the risk/reward aspect of the mechanic. We set out to provide a Guess Pitch system that maintains game elements of risk/reward, but is more realistic and still encourages users to think pitch-to-pitch about how/if they will utilize Guess Pitch.

There are essentially 3 possibilities you have for guessing an incoming pitch: guess the Pitch Type (Fastball, Curveball, etc), guess the Pitch Location (down, up-and-in, etc.), or guess both Pitch Type AND Pitch Location. Our default Guess Pitch is different than previous Guess Pitch implementations because it is “All or Nothing”. In other words, ALL guesses you attempt on a single pitch must be correct to get ANY benefit from the system. For example, if you guess a Curveball Pitch Type, and the Low location, you will only see benefits from the system if it is BOTH a Curveball AND Location Low, otherwise you get no feedback or benefits.

It’s obviously harder to guess Both Type AND Location than just one of the two, so there is a benefit for correctly guessing both. If you guess both accurately, you get your feedback much earlier than if you only attempt to guess one and are correct. As mentioned above, you MUST guess both correct to see any of the benefits.

Let’s look at some examples…

Example 1: I guess 4SFB (4-seam Fastball), I don’t guess a location. If correct, the ball flashes red out of the pitchers hand to notify me that the pitch is what I anticipated. See below for a screencap of the result.

Example 2: I guess Location Low. I don’t guess a Pitch Type. If correct, the location flashes red when the ball leaves the pitchers hand and the user will lock-on to the location area. See below for a screencap of the result.

Example 3: I guess BOTH 4SFB, and Location Low. If BOTH correct, I instantly lock-on when the pitcher starts his wind-up and the location and strike-zone blink red to notify me I am locked and loaded. See below for a screencap of the result.

NOTE: In this new “All or Nothing” system, if you guess 1 right and not the other, you get nothing and like it.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Dev Journal: All or Nothing Guess Pitch in MLB 13 The Show

Quote:
Example 2: I guess Location Low. I don’t guess a Pitch Type. If correct, the location flashes red when the ball leaves the pitchers hand and the user will lock-on to the location area. See below for a screencap of the result

This doesn't happen the way as described. The pci doesnt lock on. Personally I am glad it doesnt online, but i feel it should be fixed for our offline brothers who use guess pitch.

http://www.theshownation.com/bug_reports/11212

vote it on up if you want your guess location lock on.

Last edited by ManiacMatt1782; 03-12-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Rookie

cemprae48's Arena

OVR: 2

thoughtfully done... Thanks... and here's a question... With NO FEEDBACK guess pitch on... does it work the same way?... In other words.... Do I get a bonus when guess location only (and get it right) guess pitch only (and get it right) guess both (and get them right)...

Also if the bonus is higher on NO FEEDBACK... Is the penalty the least when a wrong guess is made???

Thanks
Old 03-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

Very slight penalty on no feedback, bigger bonus
Old 03-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm all for new options, but they should've left the classic option the way it was, at least for offline, since a lot of people have been using that for years and they aren't too happy that it was yanked from the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 8

I hate guess pitch. It takes the challenge out of hitting, IMO.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782

This doesn't happen the way as described. The pci doesnt lock on. Personally I am glad it doesnt online, but i feel it should be fixed for our offline brothers who use guess pitch.

http://www.theshownation.com/bug_reports/11202

vote it on up if you want your guess location lock on.
Is that what they are saying? Or is the author saying he manually locks on to the zone when it flashes?

And how different is it from years past? It doesn't seem that drastically changed... although, I'm totally ignorant of the subject as I've never used guess pitch. (well once, in order to try to get the psychic trophy a couple of years back.)

YouTube

Old 03-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

Guess pitch used to lock on location, and do it before the pitch was thrown so all you had to do was read if it was a strike, and time it correctly. Now the notification comes as the ball is released, and if you guess location alone and get it right, it does not lock on location like years passed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »