Home

Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 13 Version]

This is a discussion on Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 13 Version] within the MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 13 Version]

The first post is kept as a placeholder for updated content.

Here is the master spreadsheet.

Similar threads from past years: MLB 12 and MLB 11.

Last edited by nomo17k; 03-13-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Re: Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 13 Version]

Current "Suggested" CPU slider set, as of April 3:

Everything at default (5) except:

Foul Frequency: 7
Starter Stamina: 6
Pitcher Control: 2
Strike Frequency: 4
Manager Hook: 4
Fielding Errors: 6
Throwing Errors: 4
Fielder Run Speed: 4
Fielder Arm Strength: 3
BR Steal Ability: 4

• Pitch Speed is always at 10, since it does not affect gameplay but brings in-game pitch speed to that of real life visually.
  • Pitcher Control 2 / Strike Frequency 4 combination can be replaced by Pitcher Control 5 / Strike Frequency 3 for similar results.

Last edited by nomo17k; 04-23-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Pitch Speed Slider

I got a video capture device so measured pitch speeds in the game with various difficulty settings and Pitch Speed slider values. It seems to go roughly like this:

Code:
Slider   Factor    Displayed MPH    Effective MPH
    10    1.000               90               90
     5    0.925               90               83
     0    0.850               90               77
Basically means 90 mph in the game feels like 90 mph at Pitch Speed 10, 83 mph at 5, 77 at 0. So, hitting 90 mph fastball with Pitch Speed slider at default should feel roughly like hitting against a very good high school pitcher.

Unfortunately the video is recorded at 60 fps (which is still a huge improvement over 30 fps used for in-game replay videos), so my measurements cannot be better than +/- 2.5 mph for pitches at 90 - 100 mph... but speed differences larger than that I should be able to distinguish.

Measurements are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Wc&usp=sharing
Old 03-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: Pitch Speed Slider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Basically means 90 mph in the game feels like 90 mph at Pitch Speed 10, 83 mph at 5, 77 at 0. So, hitting 90 mph fastball with Pitch Speed slider at default should feel roughly like hitting against a very good high school pitcher.
At what difficulty level does this apply? Because remember each level gives a small tweak to pitch speed.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
At what difficulty level does this apply? Because remember each level gives a small tweak to pitch speed.
Right...... so I actually varied difficulty levels, but I couldn't see the difference. That's actually because of 60 fps limitation, not that the game is not varying (you feel it when you are playing, and the devs have said it). For fastball above 90 mph, the finest difference I can see in mph is about 2.5 mph, so if the pitch speed change across different difficulty levels at a particular Pitch Speed slider setting is within that 2.5 mph, then my measurements are not sensitive to it... that's just my measurement limitation.

So the takeaway message is that at a fixed Pitch Speed slider setting, the speeds mostly likely vary only within 2 - 3 mph range if you vary difficulty setting.... which seems reasonable to me. Subtle but noticeable (but not accurately measurable with a consumer grade video capture device.... you *could* actually measure if you set up a better test and run off a bigger sample, but it's not going to worth doing it... I'm satisfied knowing this much).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Right...... so I actually varied difficulty levels, but I couldn't see the difference. That's actually because of 60 fps limitation, not that the game is not varying (you feel it when you are playing, and the devs have said it). For fastball above 90 mph, the finest difference I can see in mph is about 2.5 mph, so if the pitch speed change across different difficulty levels at a particular Pitch Speed slider setting is within that 2.5 mph, then my measurements are not sensitive to it... that's just my measurement limitation.

So the takeaway message is that at a fixed Pitch Speed slider setting, the speeds mostly likely vary only within 2 - 3 mph range if you vary difficulty setting.... which seems reasonable to me. Subtle but noticeable (but not accurately measurable with a consumer grade video capture device.... you *could* actually measure if you set up a better test and run off a bigger sample, but it's not going to worth doing it... I'm satisfied knowing this much).
Did you vary them in CPU vs CPU games? Because I'd imagine that since difficulty levels are removed from the equation, so is this mysterious speed modifier.

Either way though, I guess I can rest assured that playing on Hall of Fame with pitch speed at 10, I'm more or less facing realistic pitch speeds.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Did you vary them in CPU vs CPU games? Because I'd imagine that since difficulty levels are removed from the equation, so is this mysterious speed modifier.

Either way though, I guess I can rest assured that playing on Hall of Fame with pitch speed at 10, I'm more or less facing realistic pitch speeds.
Actually measured off of batting practice.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #8
Banned

vcu9's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 13 Version]

I have a question, Mr. Nomo.

Sometimes, when I choose Fast Play, the cpu throws a pitch, then gets the pitch back, then fires his next pitch.

Then, sometimes, the pitcher throws a pitch, then he gets the ball back and shakes off the catcher, then nods to the catcher, then throws his pitch.

What is going on here? I have batter walk-up off and pitcher delay on Fast.

Can you help me my friend to resolve this issue?

Thanks

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders »