Home

AI walks issued, AI pitches chased... Hopefully can be adjusted in a patch...

This is a discussion on AI walks issued, AI pitches chased... Hopefully can be adjusted in a patch... within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 3
AI walks issued, AI pitches chased... Hopefully can be adjusted in a patch...

These two things always felt off to me, seemed like AI hitters were far too disciplined, and AI pitchers were too good with their control. So I went ahead and checked real life numbers and sure enough I was right.

MLB hitters in real life chase roughly 26 pitches per game, per team. That is far more than you see in this game. You can check this data after each game. I'm lucky to get 15, even with nasty pitchers and well set up pitches.

The AI pitchers are a bit closer to real life numbers, but I've been very disciplined at the plate with a low number of pitches chased, and can average around 2 walks per game. Real life average is 3, with the team range going from 2.5-3.5. These are averages too, so there should be games above this range, but I'm just not seeing it enough. Might not seem like a big deal, but walks are pretty significant, ask any manager lol.

I used the new bug/suggestion form to report these two things. Vote on them if you want to see them perhaps get looked at:

AI hitters don't chase enough pitches

AI pitchers don't issue enough walks

Might be tough to fix without throwing something else out of balance, but still worth consideration in my opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #2

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: AI walks issued, AI pitches chased... Hopefully can be adjusted in a patch...

I'm kind of having the opposite problem.

I'm walking about 5 times a game so I'm good with that but I can't find good setting where I walk the CPU without sacrificing throwing mistakes to them every other pitch.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
MVP

Re: AI walks issued, AI pitches chased... Hopefully can be adjusted in a patch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I'm kind of having the opposite problem.

I'm walking about 5 times a game so I'm good with that but I can't find good setting where I walk the CPU without sacrificing throwing mistakes to them every other pitch.
Five times?! What difficulty are you using? I found I could draw walks on Legend through a handful of games, but found that it was too hard overall. Went down to All Star, after a few weeks of franchise with well disciplined hitting I'm at 2 BBs per game, with a high of 3.

As for pitching, yeah if you lower your control, you start serving it up. I've got my CPU contact all the way at zero, with the hopes that it would result in more chased pitches. It didn't really, hence the bug/suggestion report, but it also helps tone down the CPU jumping on every mistake.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #4

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
Five times?! What difficulty are you using? I found I could draw walks on Legend through a handful of games, but found that it was too hard overall. Went down to All Star, after a few weeks of franchise with well disciplined hitting I'm at 2 BBs per game, with a high of 3.

As for pitching, yeah if you lower your control, you start serving it up. I've got my CPU contact all the way at zero, with the hopes that it would result in more chased pitches. It didn't really, hence the bug/suggestion report, but it also helps tone down the CPU jumping on every mistake.
I'm on all star with control at default, consistency at 3, and strike consistency at 1.

I'm happy with settings, I'm now trying to figure out good settings for when I'm pitching, I should be walking more.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
I'm on all star with control at default, consistency at 3, and strike consistency at 1.

I'm happy with settings, I'm now trying to figure out good settings for when I'm pitching, I should be walking more.
What control scheme are you using for Pitching? Have you tried Classic?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:

I'm going to try something here, and that is not stray to far from the default sliders, the idea being that the balance is already close to being there and any extreme changes will throw things off.

Already got one game in using this theory and it got me four walks. What I did was move each slider no more than two notches either way, with cpu control at 4, and cpu consistency and cpu strike consistency at 3.

Onviously tough to tell after one game, though I will say I played my first few handful of games at default and had trouble drawing walks. Maybe the solution is slight changes, with extreme changes throwing things off too much. I guess we'll see.

Makes me wish there weren't sliders for this aspect of the game. They don't seem to serve any real purpose.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #7
MVP

If they expanded the aggressiveness of AI hitters it would probably result in more walks too, as you would be more inclined to pitch outside the zone, which would result in more total pitches outside the zone without having to lower your control and be subject to mistake pitches getting crushed.

So all in all it would make for more realistic strategy, and more realistic results. In theory at least.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 14

I feel that its balanced perfectly. The AI batting is much more realistic this year. The hitter:s chase and bite on junk in the dirt in 0-2 counts. The pitcher k/Bb matters now. Pure money. Last year they all had eagle eyes.
As for User walks, that's all on you. I play on All star default except with srike frequency at 0, and I have 16 walks the last 3 games. The walks are there. I would turn down pitch speed to help develop your eye. Try not to swing at low off speed stuff.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »