Home

Best version of MLB 2K?

This is a discussion on Best version of MLB 2K? within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-25-2013, 03:52 AM   #1
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Best version of MLB 2K?

Hi there. My most recent hobby is to collect baseball games from recent past and I'm interested in getting one of MLB 2K games at some point. Obviously there are many versions due to the annual release cycle, but getting every single version is a bit excessive at the moment, so I want to start with what people recommend as the best representation of the MLB 2K series. (My cursory search/research says 2007... but that might just be due to graphics.)

I only own PS3 (or Vita). I might get/build a game-ready PC at some point later, but I don't have a Windows box right now, so I prefer a PS3 version... though a PC version is okay as well.

I'm most interested in baseball gameplay (i.e., how well the game simulates baseball). I'm currently most invested in The Show (and really like the approach the series is taking to simulate baseball) and very satisfied by the gaming experience itself, so I'm not necessarily looking for a game to immerse myself with. Being away from baseball gaming during the most of the past decade, I'm interested in seeing recent evolution of baseball games, and want to see where novel ideas have been.

Thanks in advance!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: Best version of MLB 2K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Hi there. My most recent hobby is to collect baseball games from recent past and I'm interested in getting one of MLB 2K games at some point. Obviously there are many versions due to the annual release cycle, but getting every single version is a bit excessive at the moment, so I want to start with what people recommend as the best representation of the MLB 2K series. (My cursory search/research says 2007... but that might just be due to graphics.)

I only own PS3 (or Vita). I might get/build a game-ready PC at some point later, but I don't have a Windows box right now, so I prefer a PS3 version... though a PC version is okay as well.

I'm most interested in baseball gameplay (i.e., how well the game simulates baseball). I'm currently most invested in The Show (and really like the approach the series is taking to simulate baseball) and very satisfied by the gaming experience itself, so I'm not necessarily looking for a game to immerse myself with. Being away from baseball gaming during the most of the past decade, I'm interested in seeing recent evolution of baseball games, and want to see where novel ideas have been.

Thanks in advance!!
I have the games on the 360 and have heard about possible problems on some of the PS3 games though not sure which ones. To get to the point I would get 7 and 11. Total outlay should be 10 bucks and you'll get a flavor for what each developer was trying to do with the series.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8

2k12 on PC, with mods !
Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit89
2k12 on PC, with mods !
The modded stadiums are unbelievable.

Even though I have 2k12 on PC modded and at full performance I get 80 FPS I still find myself coming back to 2k11 on the 360.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
MLB 2K8 was the Best of the series. It was the 1st year they had analog pitching. It also had a nice amount of options for both Pitching & Hitting including cursor hitting ala PYS. We also saw the addition of the throw meter ala the MVP series

The game play was very solid. What killed the game for many were the mixed bag graphically. At times the game looked great and at times it look plain fugly

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
MLB 2K8 was the Best of the series. It was the 1st year they had analog pitching. It also had a nice amount of options for both Pitching & Hitting including cursor hitting ala PYS. We also saw the addition of the throw meter ala the MVP series

The game play was very solid. What killed the game for many were the mixed bag graphically. At times the game looked great and at times it look plain fugly

I pretty much agree, but I'm not sure if they ever got it patched and running well on the PS3. The game really was the best of the series in many ways, but the frame rate issues really killed it.

Last edited by Mt Oread; 02-25-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oread
I pretty much agree, but I'm not sure if they ever got it patched and ruining wel on the PS3. The game really was the best of the series in many ways, but the frame rate issues really killed it.
Forgot about the Frame rate issue. It did get much much better once it was patched.

I believe the frame rate was more In the field than it was when you batted?

Old 02-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Forgot about the Frame rate issue. It did get much much better once it was patched.

I believe the frame rate was more In the field than it was when you batted?

It was pretty constant when it was released. You could hit and pitch fine, but once in play, it was a mess. But even the commentary between pitches was stuttery and a pain.

I don't think it was until November or December when Microsoft enabled saving games to the hard drive. That helped to.

But man do I miss three step pitching and the Payoff Pitch mechanic. I do think VC came up with a nice alternative in 2K12 for varying pitch effectiveness in the game based on success rate, but they payoff pitch really rewarded execution, and delivered a risk for going to your bread an butter too often. Once you got the effectiveness up high, you risked losing it if you failed to hit such a precise location.

I also miss the last time 2K baseball had a reasonable line-up and bench screen. It is terrible that I can't bring up a list of every player on the opponent's bench and in the bullpen. When deciding on bringing in a RP or PH, you need that list of players an opponent may counter with in future innings. 2K8 had a great screen with the press of one button that provided this.

If they bring three-step-pitching and that menu screen to 2K13, I'd be so much more happy. Of course that is not going to happen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »