Home

The Genius - The Managing Career of Mason Ryder (NHL 13)

This is a discussion on The Genius - The Managing Career of Mason Ryder (NHL 13) within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
MVP

GoldenJet's Arena

OVR: 35
The Genius - The Managing Career of Mason Ryder (NHL 13)

Rosters: Latest EA Sports Roster Update
Sliders: Default All-Star Difficulty
Period Length: 6 minutes
Season: Start of 2012-2013 season
Season Length: 82 games
Playoff Format: 7-7-7-7
Injuries: On
No Touch Icing: On
Assistant Coach: Minimal

So, this is hopefully going to shake up the Hockey Dynasty section, show something new. Is this heavily inspired by Trekfan over on the Basketball section with his "Fate and Fortune: The Andy McCutcheon Story" dynasty, which has unfortunately been discontinued. He has since put up his new "The Gold Standard - Ronnie Gold" dynasty, be sure to check that out if you're interested for a little ball. This is also inspired by royals19 over on the Baseball section, and his San Diego Padres legacy, its an incredible read.

Anyways, hopefully that whole Story Dynasty conundrum is in the past and Millennium won't be too upset and ban me or something. I don't expect him to, especially considering this is a Sports dynasty. But a little back story never hurt anyone, right? Just to keep things interesting. I won't get too crazy though, every story will be sports related no matter what. Just stressing that so everyone gets it.

I'm excited to get things popping back on OS, and hoping to show you guys something new.

1000 posts achieved on December 21st,2008 at 2:26 p.m in the "birth of the Mighty Blazers" thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
MVP

GoldenJet's Arena

Re: The Genius - The Managing Career of Mason Ryder (NHL 13)

Seven straight seasons.

It had been seven straight seasons that the Toronto Maple Leafs had failed to advance to the post-season and Larry Tanenbaum was frustrated. He was tired. None of the franchises he owned, the Leafs, the Toronto Raptors and Toronto FC had all failed to make the post-season for the past five seasons, Toronto FC never having made a playoff experience.

During the 2011-2012 regular season, the Maple Leafs got off to a hot start, but then faltered late, losing 10 of 11 of their late games, costing Head Coach Ron Wilson his job.

It also ultimately lost General Manager Brian Burke his job as well, after the NHL Entry Draft in which he picked up Moose Jaw defenseman Morgan Rielly and Guelph forward Matthew Finn.

"We need to go in a completely different direction, someone who knows the game better than ever" Tannenbaum said, while looking out the window of his office. The view looked out onto the streets outside of Air Canada Centre.

"Do you have anyone on your mind?" one of his assistants said, flipping through notebooks of General Manager's that could take over. "Dave Nonis has been viewed as the leading candidate-" he began before Tannenbaum cut him off by putting up his hand.

"We need to go against the norm, go completely unorthodox, and I have a feeling I know just the guy" Tannenbaum replied, as if he was speaking to himself. He sat down in his office chair, picked up the phone and began dialing.

- - - -

Malibu, California

"Where is my son?" Craig Ryder asked one of the maids as he walked through the entrance to his Malibu beach house. They pointed towards the upper level where the bedrooms were. Mr. Ryder ******ly walked upstairs towards his son's bedroom and opened the door.

There lay his son, blinds closed, still in bed despite it being 2 o'clock in the afternoon on a beautiful day.

"Hungover again?" he asked, opening the blinds to let in the blinding sunlight causing his son to squirm and hide his face.

"I'm really getting tired of this behavior, Mason, you're a 30 year old man who's marriage fell apart shortly after his career fell apart, and I will not allow you to live unemployed off of my riches" he said, picking up clothes laid around the floor and throwing them onto the floor.

"Well, first off, I'm 26, Ashley hasn't even filed the divorce papers, and I was framed for what I allegedly did, which caused my career to go down the drain" Mason, now sitting up, retorted. His hair was scruffy, no doubt from the amount of sleep he had just gotten to match his grown out beard. If it wasn't for his good looks, he would of looked homeless.

"I'm not your mother, I am not going to baby you, Mason," he said as he stepped outside of his room. "By the way, Larry Tanenbaum left a message for you on the phone, you might want to call him back".

Mason yawned, stretched his arms and crawled out of bed. "Yeah, Mom usually made pancakes when I woke up".

1000 posts achieved on December 21st,2008 at 2:26 p.m in the "birth of the Mighty Blazers" thread.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
MVP

GoldenJet's Arena

LEAFS HIRE DISGRUNTLED MASON RYDER AS NEW GENERAL MANAGER

Toronto, ON - On January 9th, 2012, the Toronto Maple Leafs announced that they have fired President and General Manager Brian Burke, effective immediately. As the Maple Leafs finished fourth in the Northeast Division with Randy Carlyle as the Head Coach and Dave Nonis as the interim General Manager, Maple Leafs Sporting & Entertainment had been scouting for a new GM to take over the reigns.

"We fully understand the concerns people may have hiring Mr. Ryder, but he fully understands the rules we have here and what behavior is acceptable and what isn't" said MLSE chairman Larry Tanenbaum.

Ryder had formally been a sports agent to current star players such as Jamie Benn of the Dallas Stars, Cam Newton of the Carolina Panthers in the NFL and female tennis star Maria Sharapova. After allegations of embezzlement, the agency firm, Ellura, let Ryder go.

"I'm not going to make any promises like GM's of the past, this team needs some work and I am in here to make some decisions" said Ryder to TSN reporters. "I'm sure some my decisions will not be supported by our fan base, but I am sure that they will be the right decisions. I will make this team into a Stanley Cup championship team".

The Maple Leafs currently boast star forwards in Phil Kessel, Joffrey Lupul and James Van Riemsdyk (recently acquired from the Philadelphia Flyers).

Maple Leafs team Captain, Dion Phaneuf, was not available for interview, but was quoted to saying "It is definitely going to be interesting working under a General Manager that is younger than you".

Phaneuf, 27, is correct. Ryder is only twenty six years old, making him the youngest GM in North American sports history, surpassing baseball's John Daniels. Daniels was hired as the GM of the Texas Rangers when he was twenty eight years old.

Despite Ryder's appalling history of crime, young age, and celebrity lifestyle, one thing that critics cannot criticize is his wealth of knowledge when it comes to talent.

The success of the Maple Leafs will come down to how exactly he plans to use that knowledge. And whether he still has his "mojo".

Old 03-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Rookie

Jsiraek16's Arena

OVR: 1

Rebuilding the Leafs! This will be interesting, I will definitely be following this!
Old 03-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 17

A rebuild is always interesting to read, good luck.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
MVP

GoldenJet's Arena

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS OPENING DAY LINEUPS

FORWARDS

Line 1
Joffrey Lupul (A) - Nazem Kadri - Phil Kessel

Analysis: For me, this is a make or die for Phil Kessel. He's a young, upcoming forward that has the weight of the Maple Leafs offensive production on his shoulders. This is also the final chance for Nazem Kadri to do something, or else he'll be one of the first to go. I like Joffrey Lupul, so for now, he's one of the few that are 100% safe.

Line 2
Clarke MacArthur - Mikhail Grabovski - James Van Riemsdyk

Analysis: Trade bait #1 and #2 in MacArthur and Grabovski. These guys are going to have to play out of being on the Trade Block. I'm interested to see how Van Riemsdyk will play under my new style of offense. We go fast, it'll be interesting to see if he can keep up.

Line 3
Nikolai Kulemin - Tyler Bozak - Jay McClement

Analysis: I love Tyler Bozak in this position. He's young and he'll learn to play the role well. I see him kind of like Brandon Sutter in this role for the Penguins. He'll get some powerplay and penalty killing time here and there. Kulemin, not so much. Don't get too used to seeing him in the blue and white.

Line 4
Frazer McLaren - Dave Steckel - Matt Frattin

Analysis: My tough guys. I'll sometimes sub in some young guys, to see how they do. Don't get used to seeing this as the generic tough guy fourth line.

DEFENSE

Dion Phaneuf (C) - Carl Gunnarsson

Analysis: I'm interested to see how Gunnarsson works. He seems like a pretty good puck moving defenseman that can pace us to set up plays. Seems like a future minute logging defenseman that I can use.

John Michael Liles - Cody Franson

Analysis: Offense from my defense. I expect a lot from this second line, but won't really be able to tolerate any slumps. Slumps kill seasons.

Mark Fraser - Mike Komisarek (A)

Analysis: Just another depth defenseman and priority numero uno to get rid of Mike Komisarek and his overpaid contract.

GOALIES

James Reimer - Ben Scrivens

Analysis: The center of the off-season talk was James Reimer heading to Vancouver and Roberto Luongo coming in to save the day. Is that going to happen with me at the helm? Probably not. It'll be interesting to see what happens though.

- Analyses done by GM Mason Ryder

Old 03-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
MVP

GoldenJet's Arena

2012-13: Ten Game Update

Games 1 - 10
vs Canadiens - 2-1 W (1-0-0)
@ Capitals - 4-2 L (1-1-0)
vs Blue Jackets - 3-1 L (1-2-0)
vs Senators - 3-1 W (2-2-0)
@ Islanders - 4-3 SOL (2-2-1)
@ Flyers - 3-0 L (2-3-1)
vs Ducks - 3-1 W (3-3-1)
vs Bruins - 5-4 W (4-3-1)
vs Blackhawks - 4-1 L (4-4-1)
vs Penguins - 4-1 W (5-4-1)

The Good

Carl Gunnarsson - 10 games, 1 goal, 6 assists, 7 points, +6 plus/minus
Joffrey Lupul - 10 games, 2 goals, 6 assists, 8 points
Phil Kessel - 10 games, 6 goals, 1 assist, 7 points

The Bad
Mikhail Grabovski - 10 games, 2 goals, 2 assists, 4 points
Mike Komisarek - 10 games, 0 goals, 1 assist, 1 point

Around The League News
- Alex Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals is leading the NHL in points with 19 points through 14 games. His linemate, Nicklas Backstrom sits right behind him with 18 points of his own.

- The Vancouver Canucks are ruling the Western Conference as well as the NHL with 23 points. The Tampa Bay Lightning are off to a slow and depressing start with a mere 7 points.

- The Toronto Maple Leafs got off to a rough start due to being bit by the injury bug. They lost F James Van Riemsdyk for 3 weeks to a concussion in a game against the Columbus Blue Jackets and the very next game, lost D John-Michael Liles for 4 weeks with a pulled groin. Both are set to be in the lineup against the New Jersey Devils.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
Rookie

Jsiraek16's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJet
Games 1 - 10
vs Canadiens - 2-1 W (1-0-0)
@ Capitals - 4-2 L (1-1-0)
vs Blue Jackets - 3-1 L (1-2-0)
vs Senators - 3-1 W (2-2-0)
@ Islanders - 4-3 SOL (2-2-1)
@ Flyers - 3-0 L (2-3-1)
vs Ducks - 3-1 W (3-3-1)
vs Bruins - 5-4 W (4-3-1)
vs Blackhawks - 4-1 L (4-4-1)
vs Penguins - 4-1 W (5-4-1)
Reporter: Mr Ryder, your team is off to a fairly decent start, but do you have any idea how you can fix your teams troubles on the road?

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »