Home

A different look at 2k13

This is a discussion on A different look at 2k13 within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-23-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17
A different look at 2k13

I just read an interview where 2k last summer said they were going more ****** with the game . Boy it shows

Quote:
"I think we're going to deliver a game that's more ******, but deeper all at the same time," said Jones. "A ****** guy will be able to do everything in our game and enjoy it and think that's he's cool, but then he'll get his butt kicked by someone who really understands how the mechanics work."
Notice he said how mechanics work not fundamental of basketball .

That's 2ks focus. Keeping the ****** (majority) crowd engaged . Especially in online play. I think I shouldnt just expect a sim anymore just ****** fun basketball . Not saying its a bad thing . But maybe it's meant to be an easy going ****** game.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...ooktech&id=912
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!

Last edited by Rockie_Fresh88; 02-23-2013 at 02:51 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2013, 04:12 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: A different look at 2k13

The real problem here is how STUBBORN 2K is...

All that needs to be done is create ****** and Sim Quick Match options.....problem SOLVED. Everyone is happy.

******s can just pick up a controller and score 30 with Kobe with cheeser nonsense...and SIM dudes are happy they have the SIM version of 2K basketball back.

Why is this not done!?!?!?!

And it only makes perfect business sense for 2K because they give ALL of their fans they game they WANT!!!! They don't alienate anyone....everyone is happy!!!

It's beyond stupid NOT to do this....and if they don't, it's going to cost them sales and profits.

Personally, I will not buy 2K14 if there is more of this "******" talk and no SIM online option. It's BS.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
Rookie

How about focusing way too much on online play in general.. every menu has to connect to servers which DRAMATICALLY increases load time.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 2

I agree with everything said. Why even focus on ****** fans? Just implement online sliders with OnBall D set to 0 and everyone can play superman. Add some stupid shoes every few weeks and the 12 year olds wearing their Lebron and Griffin jerseys are happy.
That's all it would take, but I suspect that 2k devs themselves consist mostly of ****** big market team fans if they watch basketball at all.
Yesterday it was said that there's a separate "team" working on rosters, so after nearly 5 months of 2k13 look at playbooks and tendencies...on what exactly did I spend money in October, Jay-Zs paycheck?

A big reason for criticism, and this applies to videogames in general, is that we've got a crowd of grown-up gamers now that is just as enthusiastic as all the kids, but cares more about quality and isn't satisfied by marketing gimmicks like a Jay-Z nametag or more colorways on shoes.

I grew up in the late 90s/early 00s and back then expectations at game design were pretty low, the whole business started catching up with the 3d-technology. Remember how big of a deal Mario 64 was back then.
So in the 00s we had huge progress in terms of graphics, while the core mechanics of game AI were left behind a bit. Didn't matter, kids can be impressed with style instead of substance.
Now this generation has grown up and it's not your parent's money you throw out the window anymore, so personally I'm more concerned about the quality of products I buy.

2k seems to focus on the younger target group now which can be satisfied with superficial upgrades to presentation and graphics. It's a smart strategy, they save a lot of money recycling the same game over and over again. But the whole demographic of grown up fans is left behind. Right now they can pull this off since you can't choose to play another product.

In the long-term, I hope EA decides to establish a sim oriented series. A great example of how you can be successful with this is Sega's Football Manager series. It's an incredibly deep game (compare this to 2ks association design, pathetic...) that is successful despite being not very accessible to ******s.
But it's rewarding to get into it, which is exactly what 2k13 lacks. Yes there are hundreds of moves and huge playbooks, but neither do you need them at all, nor are these features executed well.

It's easier to make a sim accessible than the other way around. That's exactly where 2k13 fails again. Let's assume 2k14 would be a complete reboot turning the franchise into a complex bball simulation. Still, just set OnBallD to 0 and ballhandling/dunks to 100 and everyone can go NBA Jam on it again. But the other way around, we simply can't make gameplay more realistic if the core mechanics were not meant for that in the first place.

Last edited by mango_prom; 02-23-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

2k only worried about dunks, shoes and rappers ( main thing that appeals to ******s)

brings a tear to my eye looking at them degrade their product to bring in more ESPN watchers . 2k11 was a beast game as well as 2k8 and they werent "******" Instead of making the game so users had to learn it they just degraded aspects of the game to make it "pick up and play". I hope EA goes the simulation route and is putting out a good product , i will happily play live if its any good.

BTW 2k dont give us demos with excellent defense and then the final game represent something totally different from the demo.

Last edited by thedream2k13; 02-23-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

and ANOTHER THING lol,

the nba is a physical game as seen on TV every night. in 2k13 they took out the physical gameplay for some reason and now its just drive drive drive or 3pointer ( i am speaking online of course) The game lacks physicallgameplay which makes user shot selection important.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k13
and ANOTHER THING lol,

the nba is a physical game as seen on TV every night. in 2k13 they took out the physical gameplay for some reason and now its just drive drive drive or 3pointer ( i am speaking online of course) The game lacks physicallgameplay which makes user shot selection important.

The game is fine for both ****** and "hardcore" fans. The game is not just drives and 3 pointers. That is what the guy meant when he said ****** gamers like yourself would get crushed by people with more experience.

Shot selection is very important when shooting****n your plays and the game opens up even more.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrome_305
The game is fine for both ****** and "hardcore" fans. The game is not just drives and 3 pointers. That is what the guy meant when he said ****** gamers like yourself would get crushed by people with more experience.

Shot selection is very important when shooting****n your plays and the game opens up even more.
****** gamer ? lol dont troll me kid. Anyways the article is a sham. Skill and bball 101 isnt required for 2k13. Ive been playing 2k for 10 years and this interation is the easiest to get into the paint due to lack of defensive rotations and poor defensive AI. You dont have to belive me seeing as how you most likely only play offline by yourself against the cpu but ONLINE/user vs user running plays, good shot selections, and general bball knowledge isnt necessary due to the "****** friendly " approach. Everyone knows thats the truth this year. When i can do up and unders from around the ft line and hit them on HOF SIM online on the defense theres a HUGE problem.

2k11 not ****** friendly= 2k13 ****** friendly
2k11 my average ppg online quick match 40-55
my 2k13 average ppg 70-85

Guys are dropping 80ppg in 20 minute games online in 2k13!!!! cmon son this game is to ****** friendly even you can see that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »