Home

Madden needs to revamp the xp system for Defensive Players

This is a discussion on Madden needs to revamp the xp system for Defensive Players within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
Pro

PRAY IV M3RCY's Arena

OVR: 4
Madden needs to revamp the xp system for Defensive Players

My issue is primarily with defensive backs however this argument can transcend to just about every position on the field. Lets face it the xp system and how you earn points to improve your player is barebones. There is no excuse as to why we are having this problem. A defensive back isnt graded on purerly Ints, sacks, Tackles, and forced fumbles. It goes deeper than that. In Madden I cant be a great defensive back if i dont get a handful of int. I will not be given credit for shutting down the number 1 wr on the opp team. I wont get any points for allowing the fewest balls thrown my way. I wont receive credit for staying in my zone, or playing perfect man coverage. Madden doesnt value a shutdown corner. A shutdown corner doesnt accumulate a bunch of inmts because the ball is hardly thrown their way.(which is a great thing for a defense). That wont get me to a probowl. Madden needs to overhaul this grading system of each position. Its time to expand your resources and make the game more true to life. This just shouldnt be the case anymore in 2013 when you compare this to other sports games.

As far as Madden goes, I can be a corner and blitz every play letting my man im suppose to be covering go free, and rack up as many sacks as i can possibly get and get a good amount of xp, regardless of how many tds i gave up playing out of position. I can be in man coverage and give up alot of space so the opp wr can catch the ball so i can get as many tackles as i need. This system is extremely flawed.

Last edited by PRAY IV M3RCY; 02-19-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
Rookie

Finren84's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Madden needs to revamp the xp system for Defensive Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY IV M3RCY
My issue is primarily with defensive backs however this argument can transcend to just about every position on the field. Lets face it the xp system and how you earn points to improve your player is barebones. There is no excuse as to why we are having this problem. A defensive back isnt graded on purerly Ints, sacks, Tackles, and forced fumbles. It goes deeper than that. In Madden I cant be a great defensive back if i dont get a handful of int. I will not be given credit for shutting down the number 1 wr on the opp team. I wont get any points for allowing the fewest balls thrown my way. I wont receive credit for staying in my zone, or playing perfect man coverage. Madden doesnt value a shutdown corner. A shutdown corner doesnt accumulate a bunch of inmts because the ball is hardly thrown their way.(which is a great thing for a defense). That wont get me to a probowl. Madden needs to overhaul this grading system of each position. Its time to expand your resources and make the game more true to life. This just shouldnt be the case anymore in 2013 when you compare this to other sports games.

As far as Madden goes, I can be a corner and blitz every play letting my man im suppose to be covering go free, and rack up as many sacks as i can possibly get and get a good amount of xp, regardless of how many tds i gave up playing out of position. I can be in man coverage and give up alot of space so the opp wr can catch the ball so i can get as many tackles as i need. This system is extremely flawed.
I totally agree with you. It is a lot easier to progress offensive players in this game then defense. You have to rack up some ridiculous numbers on defense to even sniff a change. Same thing goes for the Oline. Allowing zero sacks. Keep the pocket clean, shutting down a stud pass rusher. Their needs to be more consistency how xp's are earned.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY IV M3RCY
Its time to expand your resources and make the game more true to life.
If you want true to life, then get rid of any kind of stats/production based progression and replace it with a fully developed potential system. Stats based progression and "true to life" don't go together.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Helluva post.

I actually like the XP system, unlike some, but the metrics used to judge players need to be much more sophisticated and position-specific.

The fact that the catches allowed stat doesn't track for HUM players is a problem. Even that crude stat (doesn't tell you the % of balls completed, just the number) would be an improvement because it would help differentiate the shutdown guys from the rest.

I'd love to see a system that valued passes defensed as well as completion % against a given corner.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

i have no problem progressing OL for sure. always seems to be more than enough to go around IMO.

DBs are a bit harder, but doable w/practice and hitting your goals.

this is in an online, all madden CCM. my offline, w/ a combo of jarodd's blue & black sliders, its damn near impossible for DBs or LBs to progress since its almost impossible to keep the CPU QB under 220 or the HB under 150.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

OVR: 0

Not to mention they don't scale it down for QTR length you're playing on. A MLB will need a 120 tackles rather you're playing with 15 minute QTR's or 8. Not to mention you will not see much of a change in OVR over the coarse of a full season, because it's hard enough to progress all the position specific skills like, MCV, ZCV, PRS, SPD for a CB. Yet AWR, and PRC seem to raise OVR more than any other rating. So I think that a players intangible ratings such as AWR, PRC, pursuit, and even acceleration ect should automatically progress based on a players development, and production grades. And like you said a player should earn XP based on some things you can't see on a stat sheet.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

But it is really difficult to make it the way you are saying. The system they have in place now kind of works. Weekly XP goals for DBs are not always INTs, also often about only allowing x amount of pass yards etc. But hopefully they can improve upon the system in the future.

One position I see flawed though, is the MLB. Season goal of 125 tackles no matter what, and for a 90+ ovr the weekly tackling goal is usually 9 or so. I only play in a 7 min online franchise, and I'm lucky if my opponent even runs the ball 10 times in a game. Needless to say, my MLBs only make 1 or 2 of their weekly goals at max

Goals should perhaps be tuned down depending on quarter time
Old 02-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
Hoos Rising

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

One thing that would help Madden 25 is if the catches allowed stat (which there is a field for in-game) actually worked. If Tiburon can properly track that next year, there's an entirely new means by which DBs can be properly tracked.

It would allow DBs to progress in one more manner without recording individual stats such as tackles or interceptions, which would be good. It would have to account for downs played though, as to not allow some rookie to sit on the bench and get a massive progression bonus because he allowed zero catches.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 02-19-2013 at 03:16 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »