Home

Starting over again - Pro's and Con's of the 3-4, 4-3 or 46

This is a discussion on Starting over again - Pro's and Con's of the 3-4, 4-3 or 46 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Rookie

vicaddict's Arena

OVR: 1
Starting over again - Pro's and Con's of the 3-4, 4-3 or 46

So, I am starting over once again, trying to build a dynasty that Cleveland deserves. Now, I am just wondering if I should stick to the 4-3, or switch to a 3-4, even a 46 defense. Does anyone have experience using the 46 playbook? Are there enough 3-4 players in the draft, since I have the impression most of them are made for a 4-3

Why are you using the 4-3 or the 3-4?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
The Future

Bmore Irish's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Starting over again - Pro's and Con's of the 3-4, 4-3 or 46

as far as i can tell, the 46 is a run stopping formation where you typically are stacking the box and may only have 1 safety back in coverage. at least that's what it is in the 4-3 playbook i use. you can call zones for pass coverage, but pretty much any man play is just asking to get burnt through the air.

i like the 3-4 as a defense that can get to the perimeter quickly to stop outside runs. i feel like 4-3, 3-4, or a hybrid type defense is solid with the right personnel. i'm typically in the nickel, dollar or dime anyway ha. i've really fallen in love with the dollar defense, it's 3-2-6. i find it to be awesome in mid to long range defense especially on 3rd down or when you feel there's a good chance for a pass with maybe a chance of a run out of a passing formation.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
Rookie

vicaddict's Arena

OVR: 1

Thanks. I was hoping for a bit more posts. However, the 46 seems like a nice formation for me. I like to stop the run first. What kind of player types would you suggest? I take it a 340 lbs nose tackle, 3-4 run stopper DE's and 3-4 pass rushing OLB's are quite obvious.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Pro

Blue Ninja's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicaddict
Thanks. I was hoping for a bit more posts. However, the 46 seems like a nice formation for me. I like to stop the run first. What kind of player types would you suggest? I take it a 340 lbs nose tackle, 3-4 run stopper DE's and 3-4 pass rushing OLB's are quite obvious.
46 defense requires press-man cornerbacks. They need to be able to jam the receivers at the line of scrimmage especially when blitzing. They are going to be left one on one many times outside also.

A FS who can cover great amount of ground(Like Ed Reed) would be ideal for he will be playing single deep safety.

I'd also look for pass rushing 4-3 Weakside DE(LE in madden in theory, although defense doesn't flip formation when offense does.). 46 defense forces offensive tackle to match up one on one with outside pass rushers by overloading the line of scrimmage and not allowing to double team them(again, it's not as effective in madden though because the lack of double team blocking.)

Some might say a true physical in-box strong safety is a must but personally, I think you could be flexible at that position. Needs to be athletic enough to cover or keep up with today's athletic TEs. Has to be a above average run defender though.

IMO these guys are necessary, other positions can be flexible depending on what exactly you want from your defense. You could have 2 big DTs to occupy as many OLs as possible to prevent them from blocking your MLB or SS, or get guys who can rush up the back field quick or push the pocket so the opposing QB can't step up and let your outside rush get to him.

In modern day football, 46 defense can be modified in many ways IMO. In other words, it has to be versatile to counter the offense nowadays.
M16 Sim Style Sliders by Blue Ninja
My Twitch Stream

Last edited by Blue Ninja; 02-22-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Rookie

RVallee's Arena

OVR: 6

Maybe try a Playbook that has both. I mostly use the Chicago PB, it's standard 4-3 book but it also has a 4-6 formation in it that I like to mix in. I think there's a few other books that have it in also.

http://www.twitch.tv/rva11ee
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
The Future

Bmore Irish's Arena

OVR: 20

Oakland's defensive playbook has base 4-3, 46, and besides your typical Nickel and Dime, they also have a 3-2-6 Dollar package. I love the versatility I find using this playbook.

Also, at least in real-life terms (idk how well it translates to Madden) the 3-4 is good for bringing a variety of blitzes that can be well disguised or overload a particular gap. you have to be wary of the potential of gashing inside runs though, especially if you lack the personnel, such as a big physical nose tackle who can occupy multiple blockers while also actually being able to stop the run.

Speaking to Madden specifically, I'm in a CCM with the Lions, and they run a 4-3. The linebacking personnel I inherited on that team are exceptional in coverage, and not just zone, even some great man coverage (better than some safeties). I find this to be especially helpful against teams that use multiple tight end sets where the mismatch between a TE and LB could be absolutely devastating to LBs with poor coverage ability.

I think the key, regardless to any defense you use, is recognizing the capabilities of your personnel and playing within those capabilities. Sure you can acquire talent and skills to build a certain defense, but you also need to at least initially be able to adapt to what you have. If you have CBs with poor press skills, low strength, and who aren't particularly fast, then you sure aren't going to want to be calling a lot of press coverage, especially against a team who has some fast receivers on the outside and are trying to go vertical and beat you deep.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

After reviewing this thread, particularly the last post, I have decided to scrap my current CCM using the Cowboys(switched to 4-3 as they will be this year under Monte Kiffin). Im going to restart it exactly the same but with updated rosters, patches, and sliders and run a 3-4. But Im going to release, trade, or cut every single player from the defense and start over using the 49ers as a model. Their defense is near the top of the NFL in every statistical category every year because of 3 main pieces.

-2 Great MLBs
-2 Good Press CBs
-2 Exceptional DEs

Honorable mention to their depth but the middle of that defense is what makes it work. They have size and speed up front to keep Willis clean and allow him to be a superstar. It wont happen in one year but neither did the 49ers but with good drafting and free agency periods, I believe I can even improve on their defense and make it a system defense. I think all of their secondary is interchangable but they have to fit. The middle is not. Wish me luck.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
Esports Manager @ Twitch

CloudFuel's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSmiff
After reviewing this thread, particularly the last post, I have decided to scrap my current CCM using the Cowboys(switched to 4-3 as they will be this year under Monte Kiffin). Im going to restart it exactly the same but with updated rosters, patches, and sliders and run a 3-4. But Im going to release, trade, or cut every single player from the defense and start over using the 49ers as a model. Their defense is near the top of the NFL in every statistical category every year because of 3 main pieces.

-2 Great MLBs
-2 Good Press CBs
-2 Exceptional DEs

Honorable mention to their depth but the middle of that defense is what makes it work. They have size and speed up front to keep Willis clean and allow him to be a superstar. It wont happen in one year but neither did the 49ers but with good drafting and free agency periods, I believe I can even improve on their defense and make it a system defense. I think all of their secondary is interchangable but they have to fit. The middle is not. Wish me luck.
Just curious - How is this transition going for you? Are your Cowboys as good as the 'Doomsday' Cowboys of the '60s-'70s?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »