Home

MLB 13 - The Show: Franchise Playing Tips

This is a discussion on MLB 13 - The Show: Franchise Playing Tips within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #1
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

OVR: 0
MLB 13 - The Show: Franchise Playing Tips

Hey guys,

Just looking for advice off people that play a lot of MLB: The Show.

I have been playing MLB: The Show for about 3 or 4 years, first on my psp in 08, and then on the PS3. I love it, get it imported into the UK, they're such great sporting video games.

I love how in depth the franchise mode is, but usually end up playing RTTS the most due to how short each game can be just as your player. The problem I have is regardless of how the great the game is, visually, game play, how much I enjoy it, I always seem to drift away from MLB before too long. Playing a full game takes a fair while, and a season at 162 is just so long as well. Every year around release date I can't wait for MLB, even though I've not played last year's in 6 months. It's bizarre!

These new Franchise additions really attracted me again (as the new changes do every year!). I wondered if anyone had advice on how I can stay addicted to MLB? Combinations of how many games to play in a season compared to sim? 1 in 4? 1 in 5 (just use an ace?). Do some people only play late innings of games and sim certain sections to speed things up? I don't have masses of time, I work, have a wife, that kind of nonsense, but I'd love to find a combination of playing, simming, and enjoyment that enables me to get through a fair few seasons and stay engaged with MLB.

Any ideas from people who have stuff that works for them, love to hear it!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
MVP

Bondsfan's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: MLB 13 - The Show: Franchise Playing Tips

I'm in the same boat as you. There are just too many games, too little time to play. Every year I say its the year Im going to play a long franchise, and every year I dont. One reason is rosters. By the time OSFM comes out, the game has been out a month, so Ive already been playing it for about a sixth of its life cycle (I almost never keep a game more than 6 months).

Baseball is tough. Ive played Madden franchises and made it 10 seasons or so, but at 162 games, its really hard to play out even one full season.

There is a strategy that I used in MVP 05, which is the only baseball game that I made it through more than one year. I saw it posted on OS way back then, and it really helped me plow through the seasons while also dealing with medical school.

Here is the strategy:

Play one game in each series, but no more. Play 2 games in each divisional series. Before each series, look at the matchup and see which game will be the most interesting for you to play. Sim the other games, but jump in towards the end if things are close. Id jump in and get the save with my closer or bat in the 8th and 9th if my team was only down a run or if tied. Otherwise just sim. By doing this, you'll feel like your playing most games, but really are only playing 1/3 to 1/2 of them.

I think if I can motivate myself to do both this as well as just start as soon as I get it with default rosters, in addition to vita cross save, I may actually make it through a few seasons this year.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
OCD Roster Editor

rovert22044's Arena

OVR: 0

My problem is I'm very OCD about how accurate rosters are. For example, I started a franchise with my beloved Astros a few months ago. As a baseball enthusiast, I keep up with trades, claimings, drafts, signing, and so on. When Josh Hamilton signed with the Angels, it bugged me so much that he was on the Rangers in my franchise, I gave up and deleted the save. And it's not just big players, it's really any player. It drives me crazy because I'll finally get into a franchise, then delete it after a few moves are made in real life. Everyone always told me to do 30 team control and just move the player, but it's different. I like when the CPU trades, drafts, and signs on their own. I don't want to have to do it myself.

But that's just me. My only advice is to play the important games such as ace vs ace games, your rookie vs FILL IN THE BLANK, or if you want to play a game in a stadium you have yet to see in the new game. I personally do this.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
MVP

CubFan23's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert22044
My problem is I'm very OCD about how accurate rosters are. For example, I started a franchise with my beloved Astros a few months ago. As a baseball enthusiast, I keep up with trades, claimings, drafts, signing, and so on. When Josh Hamilton signed with the Angels, it bugged me so much that he was on the Rangers in my franchise, I gave up and deleted the save. And it's not just big players, it's really any player. It drives me crazy because I'll finally get into a franchise, then delete it after a few moves are made in real life. Everyone always told me to do 30 team control and just move the player, but it's different. I like when the CPU trades, drafts, and signs on their own. I don't want to have to do it myself.

But that's just me. My only advice is to play the important games such as ace vs ace games, your rookie vs FILL IN THE BLANK, or if you want to play a game in a stadium you have yet to see in the new game. I personally do this.
I believe they do and you can either let the trade go trough or kill it.

“I knew when my career was over. In 1965 my baseball card came out with no picture".
- Bob Uecker
Old 02-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

In order to experience the sensation of a lengthy franchise with multiple offseasons I set up shorter seasons (14 or 20-something games). I play every game, but I only play offense -- I "fast forward" through the half innings of defense/pitching. It keeps things moving along for me and it adds an unpredictable nature since I'm not behind the sticks and buttons for pitching/defense.

It's the only way I have to to enjoy RTTS (which I spend most of my time with) while still being able to experience all the joys of managing a franchise throughout a season and offseason.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubFan23
I believe they do and you can either let the trade go trough or kill it.
Yup. The only issue was the draft, as you'd either have to sim all or draft for all, but my understanding is that's fixed for 13.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Rookie

tackleb0x's Arena

OVR: 1

MVP 05 had the best way of simulating but still feeling like you had complete control and it wasn't wonky to try to sim and come in at the end of the game to save or try to rally.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Banned

CubsHOF's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert22044
Everyone always told me to do 30 team control and just move the player, but it's different. I like when the CPU trades, drafts, and signs on their own. I don't want to have to do it myself.
I wonder why this myth continues to persist all these years after 30 team control has been implemented. 30 team control simply allows you to go in and make adjustments if the CPU makes a decision you do not like, besides that the teams go on setting lineups, signing contracts, & making trades with the AI just as if you had 1 team control.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »