Home

True Franchise Players in 2k13

This is a discussion on True Franchise Players in 2k13 within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7
True Franchise Players in 2k13

A statement by one of the OS members and an article in the Pro Basketball Talk Blog made me think of what I consider as a "Franchise Player" and just who those players are in 2k13.

The OS poster stated that to them, a "Franchise Player was the best player on that team"; I disagree. In my eyes, a Franchise Player is one that right now in time, you could build a franchise around with them as your star and anchor. As the blog points out: Bobcats GM Rich Cho said that by his methodology there were less than 10. Here is the list I came up with for 2k13 (no particular order and it is not the same as my list for the real life NBA).

1. Lebron James
  2. Kevin Durant
  3. Dwight Howard
  4. Derrick Rose
  5. Chris Paul
  6. Carmelo Anthony - Melo is the 6th and final "true" Franchise Player I can think of that exists on both my 2k13 and irl list.
  7. Kobe Bryant - in real life, Kobe does not make my list, but in 2k13, he seems to keep playing for 10+ years. Given this fact and the high rating provided by 2k, I think he qualifies in 2k13 as a Franchise Player.
  8. Kyrie Irving - In real life, he is still proving himself, but in 2k13 he has made it.
  9. Damian Lillard - a rookie should never be on this list - except in 2k13's universe.
  10. Anthony Davis - the #1 draft pick of that year always plays like a Franchise Player in 2k... this year it is the Unibrow's turn.

Here are my 10... what are yours?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: True Franchise Players in 2k13

so... people had issues when i said kemba, but you list anthony davis?

if anything, gordon is the core of that team

Last edited by giftedchick; 02-07-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Rookie

Riggins's Arena

OVR: 0

Does being a 5x All-Star, 3x NBA Champion, and Finals MVP in his prime put you on the list? Tony Parker's accomplished more than anybody on that list. Except for Kobe of course, but Kobe's also up there in age and Parker's playing the best year of his career.

Fratagonia on YouTube, Fratagonia Sports Gaming.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
Rookie

thedoob's Arena

OVR: 9

I'd be fine with TP being added to the list. And Kyrie definitely belongs there, guy has done some terrific things for the Cavs. Not so sure about Lillard and Davis. Both have better guys on their team that were once considered franchise players. I still consider Aldridge to be more valuable than Lillard to the Blazers.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 9
Wade?

10 char
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
Rookie

Deron Williams is a player I feel like I could build a team around in 2k. In real life, I feel like his prowess as a franchise player has slipped because of his inconsistency this year.

I like Paul George as well.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick
so... people had issues when i said kemba, but you list anthony davis?

if anything, gordon is the core of that team
My list of irl Franchise Players would include neither Davis nor Eric Gordon. In 2k13, I've found that Gordon gets injured a lot. I'd say about 35% of the total games played, he was injured.

I list Anthony, because each year 2k seems to boost the number one draft pick's attributes and they always play like a Franchise Player- in 2k11, John Wall is a definite Franchise Player, but irl, and in 2k13, I don't think he makes the cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggins
Does being a 5x All-Star, 3x NBA Champion, and Finals MVP in his prime put you on the list? Tony Parker's accomplished more than anybody on that list. Except for Kobe of course, but Kobe's also up there in age and Parker's playing the best year of his career.
Tony Parker has very much flown under the radar of national recognition for several years but he does not make my list irl nor in 2k13. At one time Tim Duncan most definately would have made my irl, but not today's Tim Duncan. Both Duncan and Parker are elite, but they both require additional talent irl to make it to the finals... in 2k13, both are too old in age to build a Franchise on as the main anchor and star for the next 10+ years.

Kobe makes the list for 2k13 but not irl (for me) because he keeps playing and does not retire and he continues to play at the highly rated level 2k gives him in attributes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoob
I'd be fine with TP being added to the list. And Kyrie definitely belongs there, guy has done some terrific things for the Cavs. Not so sure about Lillard and Davis. Both have better guys on their team that were once considered franchise players. I still consider Aldridge to be more valuable than Lillard to the Blazers.
I thought long and hard on Aldridge, and he is borderline close for my irl list. I do think the Portland team now considers him their best building block. In 2k13, Aldridge doesn't ever break top 10 in any stat and that was why I did not include him.

Lillard is a rookie - irl no rookie makes my list, not Anthony nor Lillard. In 2k13, Lillard really shines as Portland's star and he does so, out of the gate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskinsfan26
Wade?

10 char
irl: 2006/7 Wade - yes. 2013 Wade - no. In 2k13, my experience with Wade has been that once Lebron leaves Miami (which he always does) Miami falls out of the finals and does not make it back with out another star's help. That is why I left him off for 2k13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylaB
Deron Williams is a player I feel like I could build a team around in 2k. In real life, I feel like his prowess as a franchise player has slipped because of his inconsistency this year.

I like Paul George as well.
I agree with you about DWill in real life; in 2k13 he is borderline for me. The major factor for me against him is that at 28, he could not be your cornerstone for 10+ years. He just does not have the elite attribute scores Kobe has to survive the 2k "aging process.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taer
I agree with you about DWill in real life; in 2k13 he is borderline for me. The major factor for me against him is that at 28, he could not be your cornerstone for 10+ years. He just does not have the elite attribute scores Kobe has to survive the 2k "aging process.
I haven't done much, if any, research on how certain players "age" in 2k. Deron Williams was the first person I thought of after reading your list. He was at the top of the PG food chain only a couple years ago with Utah.

Personally, I feel like I could build a team with Deron and keep it in contention for the next 5-10 years. 38 isn't that old for a point guard, especially one who can shoot and distribute like Deron can.

He's definitely still a fringe player in my mind, but he's one that could be debated.

Other players that have come to my mind that could be discussed: Jrue Holiday, Andrew Bynum, Kevin Love, Rajon Rondo, Dirk Nowitzki (age), James Harden, and Josh Smith.

Dirk is/was definitely a franchise player.

Bynum's injury concerns might knock him down a few pegs.

Jrue Holiday is an 88 in 2k, and is what, 22-23? He could easily be a franchise player.

If I were to make any changes to your original list, I'd swap Lillard with Rondo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »