Home

The Show Needs a Collector's Edition!

This is a discussion on The Show Needs a Collector's Edition! within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23
The Show Needs a Collector's Edition!

Don't you all agree? I mean, we would all buy it.

This may be the last chance before the primary focus shifts to a new console. Regardelss, many of this generations great games and many of its sports games (great or not) have got cool collector's editions. Here are a few of the franchises in sports that have done it:

Gran Turismo, NBA 2k, Tiger Woods, Madden & NHL.

It's probably too late and I wish I'd thought to type this back in November/December, but here is an idea for the MLB The Show 13 Collector's Edition:

1.) The Game, of course.
2.) Collectible Steelbook shaped like the Home Plate with disk inside
3.) CD Soundtrack with classics like "Take me out to the ballgame," famous organ tracks like "Jaws" and maybe even a few classic calls like Joe Carter's homerun in the world series.
4.) Topps rookie baseball card (one of 25 rookies in each package) - "who will be the next star of the Show?"
5.) MLB official logo patch
6.) Cooperstown Field of Dreams art lithograph
7.) DLC voucher for 10,000 diamond dynasty or road to the show points (or something like that)
8.) Art book highlighting all of the MLB stadiums

Additional items that would make a much more expensive CE or a Limited Edition:

1.) Voucher for contest entry to win a trip for two to the All Star Game;
2.) MacFarlane Figure (a smaller one, not one of the big ones) of Bud Selig. HA! Or they could choose somebody that is a beloved figure in baseball history.
3.) An authentic MLB baseball.
4.) Coupon for $10 off at MLB shop
5.) Voucher for a free MLB.com online-pass for the 2013 season (to watch games online)
6.) Download of PS2 classic MLB 2006 the show
7.) Super CD double-disk soundtrack featuring all of the artists/songs highlighted in game over the years.
8.) Autographed/signed poster of the in-game announcing team.

I'm sure there are better ideas than these but my hope is that we get a CE or LE from the Show because this game seriously deserves it. I don't want to have to wait for the 10th anniversay or something like that...I'm not even sure if the 10th anniversary would be The Show 14 or 15 (b/c 06 had two years).

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)

Last edited by inkcil; 02-06-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
Banned

CubsHOF's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: The Show Needs a Collector's Edition!

Great thoughful post man! These are all great ideas. I am a huge baseball memorbilia collector so I would buy pretty much anything they put out, yeah I am that big of a sucker. I am surprised they do not do this because it would really add to their bottom line. I would buy it because of all the hours I put into The Show I am more than happy to give more to the bottom line for a few extras. I know they talked about it in the past and gave us a few options of what we would like to see like cards or a McFarlane figure.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

In past CD events we have passed along that the community would like to see a CE. Ultimately I believe marketing determines if something like this happens not the development team. I would get it instantly!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
Greatest "Show" on Earth!

Yankees_CT's Arena

OVR: 15

Yeah no doubt this would be an instant pick up from me as well. Its the only game I buy all year for the PS3 so I wouldn't even blink at dropping a few extra dollars on a CE Edition.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
Rookie

catch212's Arena

OVR: 0

Collector's editions usually just include a bunch of random junk that takes up space and gets thrown away in a year. Not to mention you double the price of the purchase.

I've never understood the appeal here, but there are people that do so I guess there could be a market.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
So Real!!

ckarlic's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcil
Don't you all agree? I mean, we would all buy it.

This may be the last chance before the primary focus shifts to a new console. Regardelss, many of this generations great games and many of its sports games (great or not) have got cool collector's editions. Here are a few of the franchises in sports that have done it:

Gran Turismo, NBA 2k, Tiger Woods, Madden & NHL.

It's probably too late and I wish I'd thought to type this back in November/December, but here is an idea for the MLB The Show 13 Collector's Edition:

1.) The Game, of course.
2.) Collectible Steelbook shaped like the Home Plate with disk inside
3.) CD Soundtrack with classics like "Take me out to the ballgame," famous organ tracks like "Jaws" and maybe even a few classic calls like Joe Carter's homerun in the world series.
4.) Topps rookie baseball card (one of 25 rookies in each package) - "who will be the next star of the Show?"
5.) MLB official logo patch
6.) Cooperstown Field of Dreams art lithograph
7.) DLC voucher for 10,000 diamond dynasty or road to the show points (or something like that)
8.) Art book highlighting all of the MLB stadiums

Additional items that would make a much more expensive CE or a Limited Edition:

1.) Voucher for contest entry to win a trip for two to the All Star Game;
2.) MacFarlane Figure (a smaller one, not one of the big ones) of Bud Selig. HA! Or they could choose somebody that is a beloved figure in baseball history.
3.) An authentic MLB baseball.
4.) Coupon for $10 off at MLB shop
5.) Voucher for a free MLB.com online-pass for the 2013 season (to watch games online)
6.) Download of PS2 classic MLB 2006 the show
7.) Super CD double-disk soundtrack featuring all of the artists/songs highlighted in game over the years.
8.) Autographed/signed poster of the in-game announcing team.

I'm sure there are better ideas than these but my hope is that we get a CE or LE from the Show because this game seriously deserves it. I don't want to have to wait for the 10th anniversay or something like that...I'm not even sure if the 10th anniversary would be The Show 14 or 15 (b/c 06 had two years).
I agree...I would definitively buy one if they came out with one
Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
100 Miles To Go

Curahee's Arena

OVR: 42

Considering that I already own about 10 of the 16 and couldnt care less about 5 of the remaining 6, I'll just stick with the good ole $60 Show.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

I've always wanted a Collector's Edition of The Show too! Like Nem said, the notion has been passed around. Personally, I think the marketing team is a little hesitant because they are not quite sure of the appeal. They tested the water with the MLB 11 The Show Dualshock 3, but they didn't sell well, at all. I would have even been OK with a game/DS3 bundle (or did they actually offer those?) There was also the MLB 09 (?) pre-order hat, that I thought was pretty good marketing. Not the best hat, but the idea was neat.

I thought it would be cool to offer a collector's edition with a MLB The Show signed baseball, or cover athlete bobblehead/card, or a commemorative game program.

Then, on the console side, there's these:

...which I'm waiting (harassing) for Ramone to get me one!

Seriously, if they offered just this console and controller, I'd replace each of my three PS3s. In a heartbeat.

YouTube

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »