Home

Thibodeau defense

This is a discussion on Thibodeau defense within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Thibodeau defense

Im gonna start new association and i want my team play defense like Celtics 2008-2010 and Thibodeaus Bulls. I am definetely not expert about defensive settings so can you guys help me, how should i adjust my defensive settings in game?

against opp:

PG:
SG:
SF:
PF:
C:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: Thibodeau defense

good on-ball defenders in the back court, mobile hustle defenders in the front court; preferably glass eaters.

"constant pressure" defensive setting. Play on-ball and shade ball handlers to the baseline. IRL he denies the strong side, cant really do that on 2k13 w/o neutering help d.

Last edited by 2_headedmonster; 02-04-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Pro

44drob's Arena

OVR: 27

If your tinkering with sliders low contact layups inside shot success and close shot success and up to HOF plays realisticly imo

GLORYERACLOTHING.COM
TRU2THA GAME
Old 02-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

i like double teaming on the hedge defense......kinda like how clippers and Miami play pick and rolls. But that's if your big man has good defensive awareness like noah does.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Oh yea in game that would be under coaching and defensive settings and all the way at the end if i remember right. If you wanna double on the pick and roll set it to double on the ball handler
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2013, 01:59 AM   #6
Rookie

nip83's Arena

OVR: 2

Hedge hard, and oh ...everything goes baseline.It doesn't matter if who you're guarding beats you ,he should never have the middle.Intentionally shade him towards the baseline on every play.Lastly you may give up mid range but never give up paint or the corner three.

Actually when i first saw a bballbreakdown video of Thibodeau's defensive concepts,i tried to emulate that on my style of play and it worked much better than the usual reach in and jump like crazy for blocks defense.Or the follow your man through his moves approach.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 6
Icon2 Re: Thibodeau defense

unfortunately you cannot recreate Thib's defense, as the proper defensive rotations are not coded in the AI in this game. thats why we have pick and roll bigs strolling down the lane open for dunks without the second big picking them up and the weakside perimeter player sinking down to take his man -- then all recovering once the hedging big recovers.

2k14 needs to finally address this. take the money spent on JayZ, and give it to Thibs, Lawrence Frank, or any good defensive assistant coach to sit down with the AI engineers and hammer out the proper rotations on PnR, penetration when a guard gets beat, etc, etc.

Most teams now use Thibs blueprint, I even see the exact Celts D being used in many college games.

Then the key will be to have a rotations Slider added, so teams like the bulls, pacers, celts (recently) will make quicker rotations causing the offense troubles in executions. while teams like the kings will have the slider very low, as simply moving the ball to the weakside against that team often results in open looks everytime I seem to watch them.

of course lower defensive awareness will help players make mistakes and not rotate sometimes properly etc, so options are always there for the offense, they just have to make the correct decisions -- can't do the same thing all the time, must read what the D is giving you.

just realized I probably rambled on in the wrong thread, maybe I'll head over to the wishlist for NBA2k14...
Old 02-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
Rookie

sreckless's Arena

OVR: 4

By far the most important aspect of Thibodeau's defense is having Kevin Garnett or Joakim Noah on your team.

Thibodeau didn't become a genius until he had those guys. That's not to detract from him, I'm a big fan of his, but the abilities of those players are the biggest single factor in setting his teams apart defensively. Both of them can guard centers, guard forwards, guard guards, get steals, protect the rim, and cover a ton of space in all three dimensions.

If you have a guy like that, that will get you closer to running "Thibodeau defense" than with any change you make to the settings, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »