Home

Coach2K's Hall of Fame Challenge

This is a discussion on Coach2K's Hall of Fame Challenge within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2
Coach2K's Hall of Fame Motivation Thread

I have been reading this forum for quite a while and I want to issue a challenge to the community and that's to learn how to become a hall of fame player.

My goal is to see how many hall of fame players we can make here at Operations Sports.

Before I go into my challenge, I want to go over a few reasons for making a challenge to the community so you can understand the rationale behind it. I also want to point out that these are my ideas on the game and just because they are doesn't mean I don't think your ideas are equally good. So I guess what I am saying too is that not everyone will agree with me. No problem there.

The first thing that I noticed about the community is that the solutions to all issues guys seem to have with the game usually revolve around changing sliders and rarely about making better decisions while playing.

The scenario usually unfolds like this. Guy can't execute. Blames the game. Posts on forum. Advice is adjust the sliders to fix it.

The second thing I see a lot of is a lot complainers. The game is broken. They need to fix this or that. It's almost comical. Hey, I have complaints too. The way I look at it, I can complain or deal with it. It's almost like officiating. You can complain about the officiating but at the end of the day, the calls stand. It's best to look at the flaws in the game as poor officiating and move on. Complaining doesn't make you better.

I've tried to be pretty vocal in my opinion that a lot of you guys can get better. I take some heat for it and I understand. As good as I've gotten (which is average in my league), I still know I can improve even more.

And that's the last thing that I think I see here. A lot of guys think they already peaked and can't improve. Often, I can tell from the complaints people make, how good they are.

I'm telling you this game is deep and there is a lot to learn and people expect to master it just by holding the controller in their hands. It doesn't work that way.

So my challenge is this:
  • Pick a team you will always use. Non elite - even better.
  • Play the worst team in the league, beat it and then move up, home or away
  • Hall of fame difficulty
  • Simulation sliders (no customizations - out of the box)
  • 12 minute quarters, user timing, speed 50, free throw diff 50, everything else unchanged (no changes in coaching sliders, except for those available during a time out)
  • Current 2k rosters
  • Post a pic of your team stats here in this thread.
  • I'm going to post all my games here win or lose. I encourage you to do the same so you can see how many tries it takes.
  • You are encouraged to man up and not play zone.

Our first goal is to beat the worst team in the league. Once we do that, then we will move up.

The way it works is you play that one team until you beat it before you can move on.

I've ranked the teams based on current winning percentage in the real life NBA. Arguments can be made that teams in 2k are better but this is the list I am going to use.

1. Spurs
2. OKC
3. Clippers
4. Heat
5. Knicks
6. Grizzlies
7. Warriors
8. Nuggets
9. Bulls
10. Nets
11. Pacers
12. Hawks
13. Bucks
14. Jazz
15. Rockets
16. Blazers
17. Celtics
18. Lakers
19. 76ers
20. Mavericks
21. Timberwolves
22. Pistons
23. Raptors
24. Kings
25. Suns
26. Hornets
27. Magic
28. Cavaliers
29. Bobcats
30. Wizards

This means our first opponent is the Wizards unless you are using the Wizards. Then your first opponent would be the Bobcats.

I don't know if I will have any takers. But I will document mine nonetheless.

I changed the order of the teams based on the number of 90, 80 and 70 rated players they have. Here's a list:

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 06-09-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 4
I've heard you talk about hours sliders aren't necessary over and over again. When you talk about having to play a specific style to get realistic stats that isn't how the real NBA works. Some teams play fast, some play slow, some revolve around the post, some revolve around the iso, etc. With the correct sliders you can play any realistic NBA style offense and get realistic stats compared to the standard sets.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Coach2K's Hall of Fame Challenge

How do you counteract the cheating the cpu does on hof? Because thats not a myth my friend. Blocking is impossible on this mode. I can win on hof but its a frustrating level because so much unrealistic stuff happens.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerHog471
I've heard you talk about hours sliders aren't necessary over and over again. When you talk about having to play a specific style to get realistic stats that isn't how the real NBA works. Some teams play fast, some play slow, some revolve around the post, some revolve around the iso, etc. With the correct sliders you can play any realistic NBA style offense and get realistic stats compared to the standard sets.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
I am pretty sure that in all my posts, I've never referred to realistic stats. What I have talked about is playing the right way, playing basketball. I'm not in general after realistic stats, I am after realistic play. Let the numbers fall where they do. If you are talking about CPU CPU simulations to get good box scores I do think that is important.

You are correct, every team has it's style, mine will have my own stamp. If you think about when I look at the teams they have already been setup for a style of play that should be pretty close to "how they play". They all don't have the same makeup.

Sliders can't work in a vaccuum. I tried a guys sliders on here and killed the CPU and didn't think they provide "realistic" stats. And, remember, I am not saying that you can't use sliders to reach your goals of how you would like to use the game.

What I am saying is that sliders are in some way a crutch to prevent people from getting better.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Last edited by Coach2K; 02-03-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjam
How do you counteract the cheating the cpu does on hof? Because thats not a myth my friend. Blocking is impossible on this mode. I can win on hof but its a frustrating level because so much unrealistic stuff happens.
I know what you are saying. I am saying over look it like a bad call in basketball. The more you dwell on it, the more it affects your game. The better you play, the less you see of it, I think. I don't agree that blocking is impossible. It's harder because the computer has better shot selection.

Last edited by Coach2K; 02-03-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OK. I took the Wizards for a spin at home. I lost this one, so now I have to go on the road and will alternate back and forth until I beat them.

The problem in this game was that I took too many threes. Problem number one for most people I would guess.

As far as realistic stats go, I don't see what I am missing. Looks realistic enough for me, except I got beat.

Last edited by Coach2K; 02-03-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
I know what you are saying. I am saying over look it like a bad call in basketball. The more you dwell on it, the more it affects your game. I don't agree that blocking is impossible. It's harder because the computer has better shot selection.
Well what I'm saying about blocking is there seems to be like a force field that holds you back from blocking near the rim on higher levels. I used the 98 Spurs and played on Hof and superstar and got hardly any blocks. Then I played on pro with same teams and all of the sudden the force was lifted and I could get blocks at the rim.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjam
Well what I'm saying about blocking is there seems to be like a force field that holds you back from blocking near the rim on higher levels. I used the 98 Spurs and played on Hof and superstar and got hardly any blocks. Then I played on pro with same teams and all of the sudden the force was lifted and I could get blocks at the rim.
Who were you playing? I'm not sure I have experienced the force field either.

Last edited by Coach2K; 02-03-2013 at 05:13 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »