Home

Best Defense to run with Warriors

This is a discussion on Best Defense to run with Warriors within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-31-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
Rookie

TabooTerry's Arena

OVR: 4
Best Defense to run with Warriors

The warriors are my favorite team to play with but I'm not consisting with winning online games with the team I think my offense is pretty good I run plays. Ill mostly run screens for the shooters and low post with Lee and Landry. I struggle the most with their defense I tried man and steph and klay would get abused 2-3 they wouldn't rotate fast enough. What defense should I run with them and what do I put the sliders and defensive settings on?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Best Defense to run with Warriors

I am a proponent of man only. I see some support for that philosophy from some users here on the forum.

The main reason is that while the argument is made that of course teams play zone in real life, most people feel cheesed if you play zone against them. You'll hear, well, I would have beat him if he didn't zone me up even though you can beat people who play zone.

It would be great if you could say that you should play man and here are the exact settings you should use.

The only problem is that as the coach of your team you have to adjust to what the offense is doing.

One size doesn't fit all.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 3

Depends on your opponent

Against the CPU man defense works great because they can't abuse the iso stick and are forced to score on you by either running plays or plain cheese. Zone against the CPU is very dangerous because the CPU is basically programmed to pass instantly to any open man and don't expect them to bobble a pass.

Against human players zone is the way to go if you're solely looking for the most efficient way to shutdown human players, offensive cheese animations and win big in 2k just from a video game perspective. In the zone you can turn help defense off and still witness your teammates rotating perfectly. Rome wasn't built overnight meaning you do have to practice running the zone.

Golden States is a great shooting team, 4 players with medium ratings above 85. If you can master each player release plus get used to running a few catch and shoot plays, your offense will make up the slack that is clearly seen on the defensive side. Curry, Klay coming off screen plays with perfect releases will make scoring automatic.

Now on the other end if you're not running a few catch and shoot money plays all game or you don't really have any of the shooters releases down, Golden State will be trouble for you. Practice, run a Association with them, put Curry and Klay on your Myteam, use them solely online, success will follow.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Pro

GSWarriors9's Arena

OVR: 6

I usually stick to man to man defense and help out alot if the player has a superstar. This usually works for me but if not I will switch to a zone but I prefer not to. As for sliders I recommend putting crash the boards and defensive pressure up. Also put Harrison Barnes on the best wing player on the opponents team as he has the quickness to stay in front on them better than Klay Thompson does.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
Rookie

yungmeaks's Arena

A mix between man and 2-3 zone. I run man to man 80% of the time, 2-3 when I'm struggling to keep the likes of LeBron out of the paint and other superstars alike. But man to man is the most effective. Knowing when to slip under and over screens is a great advantage also.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
MVP

tetoleetd's Arena

OVR: 8

i only use the warriors online, my record is 100-65. so im not dominant but im pretty good.

i always play man defense unless im going against a cheeser who's only goal is to spam the turbo button and drive to the hoop. in that case ill play 2-3 zone and cut off their driving angles with my wing players and also make sure i dont leave good shooters open for 3.

anyway, i set my defensive pressure to a little bit over 60, usualy 62 or 63. i set my help defense to the 55-58 range. i turn the double team setting down to the 10-14 range. i leave everything else the same (except i turn my offensive tempo up to the 62-65 range, but thats not a defensive setting). in the settings i also set my players to play tight on shooters, sag off on non shooters and sometimes moderate on guys like gerald wallace who can make shots but wont kill you with it. i always choose "go over" on the screen settings for guys that can shoot and "go under" for guys that worry me with their driving ability. for the hedging ill usually hard hedge on guys that can come off screens and shoot or drive, soft hedge on guys that dont really scare me but have the ability to score.

the key to playing man defense on this game is being disciplined. you have to stay in front of your man and if he gets by you, you have to turn into another defender and rotate over. dont trust the cpu to do it for you. staying in front of your man can be tricky especially with how easy the dribble moves are in this game. you have to shuffle your feet and stay square to your man so you can cut off his angles. just remember, if he fakes one way, he is most likely going to go back the other way. dont reach either. it hardly ever results in a steal and will just bail your opponent out. you should play tight on shooters who are not good drivers and you should give some room to guys that are great drivers but cant shoot very well.

now the next most important thing is dont leave your feet. this means dont press triangle to block jump shots and most post shots. instead of pressing triangle, use L2 to contest jump shots and post shots. you can also use the right stick to contest and put your hands up. the reason why you shouldnt use triangle is because any one that is savvy with pump fakes and in the post will eat you alive if you leave your feet. also, its just really hard to block shots on this game, plain and simple.

it all sounds really simple and most of it really is just common sense, but it takes practice and lots of in game experience to improve. you will still get beat off the dribble, you will still have players drain shots in your face and you will still lose games. thats just how it goes, especially in random online matches. but if you stay disciplined on defense, most of your opponents will just start to force shots and will be lost. a lot of people have no post game and solely rely on shooting three's and driving. if you stop those 2 things, they will be lost.

Last edited by tetoleetd; 02-01-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetoleetd
the key to playing man defense on this game is being disciplined. you have to stay in front of your man and if he gets by you, you have to turn into another defender and rotate over. dont trust the cpu to do it for you. staying in front of your man can be tricky especially with how easy the dribble moves are in this game. you have to shuffle your feet and stay square to your man so you can cut off his angles. just remember, if he fakes one way, he is most likely going to go back the other way. dont reach either. it hardly ever results in a steal and will just bail your opponent out. you should play tight on shooters who are not good drivers and you should give some room to guys that are great drivers but cant shoot very well.

now the next most important thing is dont leave your feet. this means dont press triangle to block jump shots and most post shots. instead of pressing triangle, use L2 to contest jump shots and post shots. you can also use the right stick to contest and put your hands up. the reason why you shouldnt use triangle is because any one that is savvy with pump fakes and in the post will eat you alive if you leave your feet. also, its just really hard to block shots on this game, plain and simple.

it all sounds really simple and most of it really is just common sense, but it takes practice and lots of in game experience to improve. you will still get beat off the dribble, you will still have players drain shots in your face and you will still lose games. thats just how it goes, especially in random online matches. but if you stay disciplined on defense, most of your opponents will just start to force shots and will be lost. a lot of people have no post game and solely rely on shooting three's and driving. if you stop those 2 things, they will be lost.
This guy knows what he is talking about.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #8
Rookie

TabooTerry's Arena

OVR: 4

thanks that really helped I know you play tight on the shooters and moderate for players that can shoot and drive but what would set for off ball does it have to correspond for what on ball is? and what to set for big men off and on ball settings?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »