Home

Kickoff and Punt Returns

This is a discussion on Kickoff and Punt Returns within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Kickoff and Punt Returns

My own personal experience with me trying to return KO or Punts, has been the same for many many years. Nothing. You get maybe 5-10 yards if lucky, but mostly, you just get hammered and nothing you can do about it. There is no blocking it seems, you are just swarmed. Actually it is pretty much the same for the CPU as well.

It has been this way for eons it seems. Is it me, or just something they never have and probably never will fix?

Is there some way to actually get some good returns. I can honestly say in all my games I have played that I have had maybe 3 good returns, 1 or 2 even for a TD, but that is over many years of different versions of the game.

Any input would be appreciated. I juke, I spin, I pray, nothing.
Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Kickoff and Punt Returns

Haven't experienced this. Punts are the hardest and I still average more than 4 of those a season. KO Returns are usually my best way to make a come back since I get 1 or 2 a game. Found custom All Madden sliders and still if you get the right block ahead of you, its a TD. Put your fastest guy on KR, Pick Return Middle, then follow your lead blocker hopefully to one of the sidelines
Old 01-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

I usually get 3 or 4 punt returns for TD a season, maybe 1 Kickoff return if I'm lucky, lol. Obviously use the guys with best speed/acceleration. For punts, say they punt it to the left of the field (your left). You should run to the right of the field and then cut towards the endzone once you get around the defense.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
MVP

EAGLESFAN10's Arena

OVR: 12

Kickoffs seem sooooooo broken to me .... if you recieved it on the right/left corner then you will most likely get a kickoff return if that happens

BRON IS THE GOAT!!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Rookie

Maxil's Arena

OVR: 2

I like to run straight up, see if my blockers made a hole I can go through, just before I get there I juke/spin as it will collapse just as I go through it.. if it works I can usually make it 30+. I never really try to take it straight to the sideline and up... while it works to the house on occasion often I'm belted at or before the 20.. Just going up and then towards a hole nearly always 25+.

Or you could do the zig-zag thing to screw up the pursuit angles, but I don't like to do that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

Two things about punt and kick returns:

1) The blocking interactions are terrible and do not translate to down-field blocking as seen on returns. This also makes certain outside runs plays awkward.

2) Without player movement and momentum it is almost impossible to make defenders miss in the open field. Ever notice IRL how the first two gunners usually over run the return man? This also ties into point one, as the blockers that run with the gunners don't box out, for lack of a better term.

That being said, it is not impossible to return kicks, but it is typically very gamey, involving full speed, ankle breaking cuts and a wee bit of luck. For punt returns, it is almost all about speed.

To be honest, punt and kick returns are incredibly rare. There are 256 regular season games each year. This year there were 13 kick returns. That is just under 1 for every 20 games. There were 18 punt returns this year. That is just over 1 every 14 games. Suffice to say, they are not everyday occurrences.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.

Last edited by Kaiser Wilhelm; 01-27-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 11

If anything, I think kickoff returns are still way too easy. I take Return Middle every time, and as has been said before, if you get the ball somewhere to the left or right of the endzone, you're more often set for a great return than not, I can easily get 4-6 kickoff returns a season with a great returner (which are so easy to get, just get some 98-99 SPD WR/RB and put all the XP in kick return rating)

Punts are a bit tougher, I've made my best experiences with Punt Block Return, you will have to "lead" your blockers and just hope for the best, most often you don't get a lot, sometimes you can avoid a tackler and get a pancake block on one side then you can often break off a long one. I usually get 1-2 punt return TDs a season.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeefeholmes
My own personal experience with me trying to return KO or Punts, has been the same for many many years. Nothing. You get maybe 5-10 yards if lucky, but mostly, you just get hammered and nothing you can do about it. There is no blocking it seems, you are just swarmed. Actually it is pretty much the same for the CPU as well.

It has been this way for eons it seems. Is it me, or just something they never have and probably never will fix?

Is there some way to actually get some good returns. I can honestly say in all my games I have played that I have had maybe 3 good returns, 1 or 2 even for a TD, but that is over many years of different versions of the game.

Any input would be appreciated. I juke, I spin, I pray, nothing.
Thanks.
I honestly believe you just need to practice and get better at them. I take 2-3 to the house every season. Sure the blocking is pretty bad and most of your returns will bring you to the 20-30 yard line on kickoffs and only 5-8 yards on punts. You just have to make the plays. Keep working at it...you'll get there eventually.

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »